Re: KPA-500 Question

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
Hi Tony,

The KPA-500 is designed to work with any radio.

73, Eric   WA6HHQ
---

On 4/20/2010 5:51 AM, Tony Lyon wrote:
> Eric,
> Will the KPA-500 be designed to support both the K2 and the K3,
> or just the K3?
>
> 73,
> Tony Lyon ( KJ5XF)

Re: KPA-500 Question

Dave Perry N4QS
Eric,

Will the KPA-500 provide a capability for automatic band switching between
multiple antennas?  If not, will it provide output for 3rd party devices
such as the microham StationMaster or some other band decoder/remote antenna
switch combination?  I would like to find a way to ensure that my K3,
KPA-500 and a remote antenna switch are always in sync as to the proper
band.  I currently use DX4WIN and N1MM for most logging functions.  I have
already ordered my P3.  Now waiting on the KPA-500!

Dave, N4QS

> The KPA-500 is designed to work with any radio.
>
> 73, Eric   WA6HHQ
> ---
>
> On 4/20/2010 5:51 AM, Tony Lyon wrote:
>> Eric,
>> Will the KPA-500 be designed to support both the K2 and the K3,
>> or just the K3?
>>
>> 73,
>> Tony Lyon ( KJ5XF)

Re: KPA-500 Question

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

 > Will the KPA-500 provide a capability for automatic band switching
 > between multiple antennas?

The K3 already provides BCD band data that will drive a band decoder
like the TopTen BD-Y or the W9XT BCD-10.  That works if you have only
one antenna per band.

 > If not, will it provide output for 3rd party devices such as the
 > microham StationMaster or some other band decoder/remote antenna
 > switch combination?

microHAM Station Master will connect to the "PC" RS-232 jack and
follow the frequency data from the K2/K3/KPA-500.  There should
be no problem there.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 4/23/2010 7:41 PM, Dave Perry N4QS wrote:

> Eric,
>
> Will the KPA-500 provide a capability for automatic band switching between
> multiple antennas?  If not, will it provide output for 3rd party devices
> such as the microham StationMaster or some other band decoder/remote antenna
> switch combination?  I would like to find a way to ensure that my K3,
> KPA-500 and a remote antenna switch are always in sync as to the proper
> band.  I currently use DX4WIN and N1MM for most logging functions.  I have
> already ordered my P3.  Now waiting on the KPA-500!
>
> Dave, N4QS

Re: KPA-500 Question

Jack Brindle
Dave;

It is the radio that provides the band information. The K3 itself provides four bits of BCD data on the AUX IO connector which can be used for switching an external box, and it also connects directly to the Elecraft KRC2 which receives data from the K3 and provides drive outputs for all bands the K3 uses. The KPA500 will receive the same data from the K3 for its own band selection. Thus all boxes are in sync, following the band selected in the K3.

Jack Brindle, W6FB