Re: KPA500 AUX Cable Keying (DIGOUT1)

Bruce Beford-2
I'd like some confirmation of this. I can see in the KPA500 manual (rev A,
page 16) that pin 11 of the AUX connector is INHIBIT#. That's fine. Pin 11
on the K3 AUX connector is DIGOUT1, OK. However, also in the KPA500 manual
(page 17), the wiring for a cable between the K3 and the KPA500 does not use
pin 11. I have constructed my K3-KPA500 AUX cable according to this table,
in anticipation of receiving my KPA500 kit later this summer.

If this table is correct,  I cannot see how DIGOUT1 affects the KPA500. If
in fact, It does inhibit the KPA500 (auto-magically, without being
connected), does this mean that DIGOUT1 can no longer be used to control the
PR6 preamp, when a KPA500 is connected to a K3?

Somewhat confused in NH,
Bruce, N1RX

> Make sure that DIGOUT1 is turned OFF from the K3. Turning it on disables
the KPA. Note that this is a per-band function, so it needs to > be turned
off for each band you wish to use the KPA500.

> Jack Brindle, W6FB

Re: KPA500 AUX Cable Keying (DIGOUT1)

Ken Wagner K3IU
Bruce:
Rev B of the Owner's Manual which came with my KPA200 shows
on page 18 that the DIGOUT1 line  is maintained in the AUX
Cable. That was indeed the case with the one I received. I
broke off pin 11 in the connector so that I can continue to
use the DIGOUT1 signal to control my PR6 preamp.
73,
Ken K3IU
Portsmouth, RI

On 6/29/2011 3:35 AM, Bruce Beford wrote:

> I'd like some confirmation of this. I can see in the KPA500 manual (rev A,
> page 16) that pin 11 of the AUX connector is INHIBIT#. That's fine. Pin 11
> on the K3 AUX connector is DIGOUT1, OK. However, also in the KPA500 manual
> (page 17), the wiring for a cable between the K3 and the KPA500 does not use
> pin 11. I have constructed my K3-KPA500 AUX cable according to this table,
> in anticipation of receiving my KPA500 kit later this summer.
>
> If this table is correct,  I cannot see how DIGOUT1 affects the KPA500. If
> in fact, It does inhibit the KPA500 (auto-magically, without being
> connected), does this mean that DIGOUT1 can no longer be used to control the
> PR6 preamp, when a KPA500 is connected to a K3?
>
> Somewhat confused in NH,
> Bruce, N1RX
>
>> Make sure that DIGOUT1 is turned OFF from the K3. Turning it on disables
> the KPA. Note that this is a per-band function, so it needs to>  be turned
> off for each band you wish to use the KPA500.
>
>> Jack Brindle, W6FB

Re: KPA500 AUX Cable Keying (DIGOUT1)

Bruce Beford-2
Thanks for the response, Ken. The rev B manual is not yet available for
download via the web page. I have built my own cable without pin 11
connected between the K3 and KPA-500. This raises the question then-  what ,
if any, is the disadvantage of leaving pin 11 disconnected to allow the K3
to control the PR6 preamp, while using the KPA-500?

Bruce, N1RX

  _____

Re: KPA500 AUX Cable Keying (DIGOUT1)

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2
On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 11:00 AM, Bruce Beford
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for the response, Ken. The rev B manual is not yet available for
> download via the web page. I have built my own cable without pin 11
> connected between the K3 and KPA-500. This raises the question then-  what ,
> if any, is the disadvantage of leaving pin 11 disconnected to allow the K3
> to control the PR6 preamp, while using the KPA-500?

Presumably this is intended to allow you to have the KPA500 active on
some bands, and inactive on others, selected by setting DIGOUT1
(per-band) on the K3. If you don't have a need to do that, I don't see
any disadvantage to leaving pin 11 disconnected.

    ~iain / N6ML

Re: KPA500 AUX Cable Keying (DIGOUT1)

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED