Re: KX1 dsiplay problem

Eric Ward-3
Thanks to all on the list and at Elecraft who debugged this problem as an
unprogrammed U1, of which several apparently slipped out by mistake.

Eric

N0HHS

You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

Ruggedised KX1?

Tony Wells
Folks,

Clearly Pelican etc cases do a good job of helping keep water off the KX1.

However, a case won't protect against water when you take the KX1 out of the
case!

What would be really neat is an inherently waterproof case design.

While I'm on about the subject, the KX1 tuning knob almost doubles the case
height when looking to find a case that is a good fit. If ruggedising is a
possible future option, how about a slimline knob  or even just waterproof
tuning buttons instead?

Tony
G7IGG

You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: Ruggedised KX1?

Rick Dettinger-2
I found the Pelican Micro Case 1050 to be just large enough to get a
minimalist KX1 station in.  This includes the plug in key, 28 ft of #24
teflon antenna wire and 16 ft. counterpoise, the small Pomona model 3296 BNC
to double binding post adapter, pen, a few sheets of paper, ear buds and
cheat sheet.  I don't use banana plugs.  They don't fit the small adapter
and take up too much space.  I am not sure if the large adapter will fit,
anyhow.  I just double the bare wire and tin with solder.  This small case
will fit nicely in my backpack or kayak.  If I want longer antennas, I have
more wire and support line in zip lock bags.            73   Rick - K7MW

> While I'm on about the subject, the KX1 tuning knob almost doubles the
case

> height when looking to find a case that is a good fit. If ruggedising is a
> possible future option, how about a slimline knob  or even just waterproof
> tuning buttons instead?
>
> Tony
> G7IGG

> You must subscribe to post.
> Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc):
http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
> Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: Ruggedised KX1?

Tony Wells
Hi Mike,

I guess I was not clear enough Rick. Clearly pelican cases etc do a great
job of waterproofing the KX1 and the wire and bits and pieces.

However when you open up the case and take the KX1 out in heavy rain, the
KX1 gets all wet inside and stops working for some reason :-)

What imho would be really great would be a bumpproof, splashproof - or even
better - waterproof KX1.

My other comment about the tuning knob was that the knob almost doubles the
depth of the KX1 so your pelican case also needs more depth. If a waterproof
KX1 is ever likely to be a possiblility, then doing away with the knob and
using buttons would perhaps make it easier to improve the
splashproof-ability.

Regards

Tony
G7IGG

> I found the Pelican Micro Case 1050 to be just large enough to get a
> minimalist KX1 station in.  This includes the plug in key, 28 ft of #24
> teflon antenna wire and 16 ft. counterpoise, the small Pomona model 3296
BNC
> to double binding post adapter, pen, a few sheets of paper, ear buds and
> cheat sheet.  I don't use banana plugs.  They don't fit the small adapter
> and take up too much space.  I am not sure if the large adapter will fit,
> anyhow.  I just double the bare wire and tin with solder.  This small case
> will fit nicely in my backpack or kayak.  If I want longer antennas, I
have
> more wire and support line in zip lock bags.            73   Rick - K7MW
> >
> > While I'm on about the subject, the KX1 tuning knob almost doubles the
> case
> > height when looking to find a case that is a good fit. If ruggedising is
> > possible future option, how about a slimline knob  or even just
waterproof

> > tuning buttons instead?
> >
> > Tony
> > G7IGG

> > You must subscribe to post.
> > Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc):
> http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
> > Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

> You must subscribe to post.
> Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc):
http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
> Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

K2 alternative Tuning knob ?

Mike W-12
GM All,
After 2 months of using my K2 I'm getting very sore fingers due to
the awfull shape of the tuning knob and its sharp edges. I know
that one of the 'JAP' knobs fits but I don't know which one, or where
to obtain one in UK.
Any help appreciated
tnks, Mike W, G8NXD
You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: K2 alternative Tuning knob ?

Don Wilhelm-2
Mike,

Take a look at the use of the Yaesu FT-900 knob on my K2 - see my website
www.qsl.net/w3fpr for details.
I recently updated with Yaesu's new phone number for the US - you might want
to look at www.yaesu.com to see where you contact for the UK.

If you want the FT100 knob
(smaller but with finger depression), you can use that too, or some folks
have successfully ordered just the tire and slipped that over their stock K2
knob.

"Life is what happens when you are making other plans"
(John Lennon wrote it in a book, Mike Cross used it in a song - I don't know
who was first)

> After 2 months of using my K2 I'm getting very sore fingers due to
> the awfull shape of the tuning knob and its sharp edges. I know
> that one of the 'JAP' knobs fits but I don't know which one, or where
> to obtain one in UK.
> Any help appreciated
> tnks, Mike W, G8NXD

You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

RE: K2 alternative Tuning knob ?

al_lorona

Here's another option.

Recently on my way to work, I stopped by Yaesu-- actually Vertex
Standard-- to try an FT-100 knob on the K2. After a few weeks of use I
concluded that it was okay, but the sloping curvature of the front edge
actually makes it *smaller* than the stock K2 knob. Not wanting to
sacrifice any diameter at all, I searched for another solution.

I ordered this black plastic dip from the back of QST and gave the K2
knob about three coats of it. The results are pretty good; the knob now
has a grip without the sharp edge to bother the fingers.

Al W6LX