Re: KX1 strikes again - Cruise Ship Bootleg Operations (OT)

Locked 12 messages Options

Re: KX1 strikes again - Cruise Ship Bootleg Operations (OT)

Mike Morrow-3
Ron wrote:

> ...ships use SSB on the HF bands for long distance communications
> - both voice and data - on frequencies right in between the bands
> were us Hams "play" on HF.

> The Safety of Life at Sea protocols never depend solely on satellite
> communications.

Many hams, even the the days of the commercial Maritime Morse radio
officer (which ended July 12, 1999), exhibit a cavalier attitude
towards SOLAS issues.  In the Morse days, for example, it is NOT likely
that most hams would have recognized an SOS (which is sent as one
character ...---..., not three characters ... --- ..., quite radically
different in sound).

Disregarding issues of ham operation upon SOLAS communications, there
are regulatory issues.  At sea, the country of the ship's registry
would have jurisdiction over any ham operations.  Are ANY cruise ships
of US registry?  When in port, the host country has jurisdiction.  IIRC,
back in the Morse radio officer era, operation of the ship's Morse
station was prohibited in port.

I don't know how MF/HF USB use is controlled today in the GMDSS era.
Obviously use of a ship's VHF-FM is required in foreign ports for
SOLAS, piloting, and docking operations.  (The only foreign country
radio operation that I've ever done has been on VHF-FM as a USN
officer of the deck coming in and out of port.)

Do hams who operate from foreign registry ships use a call sign
indicating the country of ship's registry when at sea, and a call
sign of the host country when in port?  I'd be surprised.

Many will see such issues as mere technicalities from olden days that
don't apply any more.

> That's why it's often so difficult to get permission to operate a
> Ham rig on a ship - they are depending upon clear QRM-free communications
> on frequencies very close to several Ham bands across the HF and VHF
> spectrums.

Plus, many QRP rigs have marginal spurious radiation specs, a situation
aggravated by use of a DDS frequency generation scheme without PLL.

Were I ship's master, I'd be reluctant to grant permission, based on the
jurisdictional issues alone.

> Ron AC7AC (Licensed GMDSS Maintainer and Operator).

Be honest, Ron.  :-)  I suspect your commercial radiotelegraph license
is a source of greater pride for you.  I still regret letting my second
class telegraph license expire more than 15 years ago.  Are you maintaining
yours?

73,
Mike / KK5F

Re: KX1 strikes again - Cruise Ship Bootleg Operations (OT)

Fred Townsend
Please see comments below:

> ...ships use SSB on the HF bands for long distance communications
> - both voice and data - on frequencies right in between the bands were
> us Hams "play" on HF.

> The Safety of Life at Sea protocols never depend solely on satellite
> communications.

Many hams, even the the days of the commercial Maritime Morse radio officer
(which ended July 12, 1999), exhibit a cavalier attitude towards SOLAS
issues.  In the Morse days, for example, it is NOT likely that most hams
would have recognized an SOS (which is sent as one character ...---..., not
three characters ... --- ..., quite radically different in sound).

Disregarding issues of ham operation upon SOLAS communications, there are
regulatory issues.  At sea, the country of the ship's registry would have
jurisdiction over any ham operations.  Are ANY cruise ships of US registry?
When in port, the host country has jurisdiction.  IIRC, back in the Morse
radio officer era, operation of the ship's Morse station was prohibited in
port.

I don't know how MF/HF USB use is controlled today in the GMDSS era.
Obviously use of a ship's VHF-FM is required in foreign ports for SOLAS,
piloting, and docking operations.  (The only foreign country radio operation
that I've ever done has been on VHF-FM as a USN officer of the deck coming
in and out of port.)

Do hams who operate from foreign registry ships use a call sign indicating
the country of ship's registry when at sea, and a call sign of the host
country when in port?  I'd be surprised.

I can't answer your question but I have seen US hams operate /MM when tied
to the dock.

de Fred

Many will see such issues as mere technicalities from olden days that don't
apply any more.

> That's why it's often so difficult to get permission to operate a Ham
> rig on a ship - they are depending upon clear QRM-free communications
> on frequencies very close to several Ham bands across the HF and VHF
> spectrums.

Plus, many QRP rigs have marginal spurious radiation specs, a situation
aggravated by use of a DDS frequency generation scheme without PLL.

Were I ship's master, I'd be reluctant to grant permission, based on the
jurisdictional issues alone.

> Ron AC7AC (Licensed GMDSS Maintainer and Operator).

Be honest, Ron.  :-)  I suspect your commercial radiotelegraph license is a
source of greater pride for you.  I still regret letting my second class
telegraph license expire more than 15 years ago.  Are you maintaining yours?

73,
Mike / KK5F

Re: KX1 strikes again - Cruise Ship Bootleg Operations (OT)

Chip Stratton
Actual use of marine SSB frequencies by large commercial vessels seems to be
exceedingly rare in this day of global satellite phone coverage, though
there is still a requirement to carry MF/HF equipment depending on the
operational distance from shore. While a ship's master may choose to
prohibit your use of a QRP rig on board, the likelihood of it actually
interfering with any ongoing communication at any given moment is
exceedingly low to nonexistent, IMHO.

If you are operating amateur maritime mobile (i.e. in international waters)
I don't think there is a requirement to identify yourself with anything
other than your amateur call sign.

Chip
AE5KA
GROL (but not GMDSS)

Re: KX1 strikes again - Cruise Ship Bootleg Operations (OT)

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Chip wrote:

> While a ship's master may choose to prohibit your use of a QRP rig
> on board,

He *definitely* has that authority.  In fact, what is very questionable
is his authority to *allow* ham operation.  It doesn't matter that QRP
is to be used.

> the likelihood of it actually interfering with any ongoing communication
> at any given moment is exceedingly low to nonexistent, IMHO.

And you have the engineering studies to substantiate that in court?
The same argument can be applied to in-flight cell phone use.

> If you are operating amateur maritime mobile (i.e. in international waters)
> I don't think there is a requirement to identify yourself with anything
> other than your amateur call sign.

That is incorrect, as nice as it seems it would be were it true.  The FCC has
absolutely NO authority or influence on a foreign flag vessel at sea.  Your
US call has no standing.

The country of ship's registry has jurisdiction on the high seas.  If you
are operating on a foreign flag vessel with a US call, you quite simply are
bootlegging, even if you have the master's permission, unless you can take
advantage of some of the relaxed CEPT reciprocal licensing requirements,
and identify if you were in the country of ship's registry as required
under CEPT.

Even those QCWA cruises should (but I guessing do not) follow this.  The
ship's master has no *authority* to allow any deviation in this area.  And,
as I mentioned above, should any adverse consequence result from the ham
station operation, a master would have no defense for allowing an activity
for which he really has no authority to permit, but all authority and
responsibility to prohibit.

It is also not legal to operate as maritime mobile while *in* a foreign
port.  In port, the host country's rules for radio operation apply
even while on board a ship of another country's registry.

In any event, this is taking the list off topic.  However, it appears
that there is some interest in using Elecraft rigs in operations that
are technically bootleg, and worst case harmful to SOLAS considerations.
I only suggest that those considering use of their Elecraft rigs at sea
investigate how to do that legally.  It is, after all, only a hobby
and there's nothing *bad* about not being able to ham during a cruise.
Were it me, I'd forget at-sea operation, but arrange for bona fide
operating authority in the ports of call for the cruise and have some
sort of portable kit like a K1 or KX1 to exploit that authority.

73,
Mike / KK5F

Re: KX1 strikes again - Cruise Ship Bootleg Operations (OT)

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
Folks - This is drifting pretty far OT. Let's move it off list for now.

73, Eric
List Moderator.
----

On 4/21/2011 3:33 PM, Mike Morrow wrote:
> Chip wrote:
>
>> While a ship's master may choose to prohibit your use of a QRP rig
>> on board,
> He *definitely* has that authority.  In fact, what is very questionable
> is his authority to *allow* ham operation.  It doesn't matter that QRP
> is to be used.

KX1 strikes again - Cruise Ship Bootleg Operations (OT)

Lu Romero - W4LT
I cant speak for Cruise Ships, but I can speak for my
company's policies.  We recently chartered a 310ft British
Flagged research vessel.  I asked permission to operate from
her while she was being refit in Singapore (and I was
installing a HD video system for our Remotely Operated
Vehicle) and therefore created our Ham Radio On Board
policy!

After working with my company principals, who encouraged my
operation, and the charter company, who referred me to the
ship's Master, we made the following decisions:

I was to operate from the ship's bridge when the ship was
not underway (quayside, at anchor or under Dynamic Station
Keeping).  I could only operate if I had a Singaporean
license and only while in Singapore national waters (we
ventured offshore into international waters then into
Indonesian waters during sea trials, where I had to go QRT).
 Our reasoning was that since the ship was British
territory, I could not operate on the high seas with my US
license unless I used CEPT or had a British license.  This
is also true on our owned Bahamas flagged and Panama flagged
ships.  According to our Marine Operations folks, the ship's
masters would insist I had C5A and HP licenses on the high
seas and a local license when inside a given country's
territorial waters.  That's just the way we do it, I dont
know if its "law" or not, but it makes sense.

For the Singapore operation, I was told that I could use
only a maximum of 100 watts into my portable vertical
antenna, which I had to install myself on the comms bridge
of the ship on the same plane as the exiting ship HF
antennas.  If I created any interference with any shipboard
equipment, I had to either rectify it or go off the air.

Upon my arrival in Singapore, I received my Singapore
license and operated from dry dock, floating quayside and 2
km off of downtown Singapore from mid June to mid July of
last year, with no issues.  I even operated IARU from Zone
54 and came in 2nd in the contest SOLPABM! :)

I also became the crew's friend when I used my 3G wireless
internet dongle to allow the ship's network (slow) internet
access while the InMarSat terminal was down and used my
antenna building skill to make a small UHF yagi so that the
crew could watch the World Cup off the air from a TV station
in Indonesia while at anchor.

Your marine milage will vary, but this is worked for me.  If
it was legal or not is anyone's guess, all I know is that on
board any of the ships my company owns or charters, the
Ships' Master word is God.

-lu-W4LT (9V1/W4LT last year)-

===========================

Message: 36
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 18:33:31 -0400 (EDT)
From: Mike Morrow <[hidden email]>
Subject: [Elecraft] KX1 strikes again - Cruise Ship Bootleg
Operations
    (OT)
To: [hidden email]
<[hidden email]>

Chip wrote:

> [...]

operations that
are technically bootleg, and worst case harmful to SOLAS
considerations.
I only suggest that those considering use of their Elecraft
rigs at sea
investigate how to do that legally.  It is, after all, only
a hobby
and there's nothing *bad* about not being able to ham during
a cruise.
Were it me, I'd forget at-sea operation, but arrange for
bona fide
operating authority in the ports of call for the cruise and
have some
sort of portable kit like a K1 or KX1 to exploit that
authority.

73,
Mike / KK5F

Re: KX1 strikes again - Cruise Ship Bootleg Operations (OT)

Phil Hystad-3
OK, one more story...

My dad was a sea captain for Weyerhaeuser Steamship Company which the Weyerhaeuser Company used to ship all their lumber products.  During the 1950s he used to regularly contact home via ham radio.  Our neighbor behind our house in San Jose California was a ham and the radio operator on my dad's ship was also a ham radio operator.  So, he would use the ship's radio gear to contact this neighbor ham who would then send his son or wife through the backyard to our house to get my mom who would rush over for a bit of a QSO with my dad.  Often my dad's ship was out in the Pacific or maybe the Caribbean and other places but usually only 3 to 5 miles off of the coast (except on international runs to Asia about every other year).  That neighbor's call sign was W6VIQ.  He has been a silent key for a number of years now.

phil, K7PEH

On Apr 21, 2011, at 6:31 PM, Lu Romero wrote:

> [...]
> operations that
> are technically bootleg, and worst case harmful to SOLAS
> considerations.
> I only suggest that those considering use of their Elecraft
> rigs at sea
> investigate how to do that legally.  It is, after all, only
> a hobby
> and there's nothing *bad* about not being able to ham during
> a cruise.
> Were it me, I'd forget at-sea operation, but arrange for
> bona fide
> operating authority in the ports of call for the cruise and
> have some
> sort of portable kit like a K1 or KX1 to exploit that
> authority.
>
> 73,
> Mike / KK5F

Re: KX1 strikes again - Cruise Ship Bootleg Operations (OT)

James Maynard-2
U.S. hams on their own US-flagged boats are governed by FCC rule 97.11,
which effectively forbids using the boat's marine HF radio also as the
boat's only amateur radio.  If the vessel is "voluntarily equipped" with
a marine radio (as private yachts of any reasonable size would be), you
are permitted to share the antenna, between the marine radio and the
amateur radio.

Unfortunately, many yachties get ham licenses and ham radios as adjuncts
to their boats, and then ignore this rule.

I ordered my K3 to use as my boat's ham radio.  When the time comes to
head offshore, I will get a proper marine SSB radio, too.

Jim K7KK
K3 #5263
Baba 30 sailboat #4

On 2011-04-21 01:22 PM, Mike Morrow wrote:

> Many hams, even the the days of the commercial Maritime Morse radio
> officer (which ended July 12, 1999), exhibit a cavalier attitude
> towards SOLAS issues.  In the Morse days, for example, it is NOT likely
> that most hams would have recognized an SOS (which is sent as one
> character ...---..., not three characters ... --- ..., quite radically
> different in sound).
>
> Disregarding issues of ham operation upon SOLAS communications, there
> are regulatory issues.  At sea, the country of the ship's registry
> would have jurisdiction over any ham operations.  Are ANY cruise ships
> of US registry?
A few, especially those that cruise in American waters only.  I think
Matson line may still have some passenger cruise ships.  And of course,
you can book passage as a passenger on many cargo ships.

>    When in port, the host country has jurisdiction.  IIRC,
> back in the Morse radio officer era, operation of the ship's Morse
> station was prohibited in port.
>
> I don't know how MF/HF USB use is controlled today in the GMDSS era.
> Obviously use of a ship's VHF-FM is required in foreign ports for
> SOLAS, piloting, and docking operations.  (The only foreign country
> radio operation that I've ever done has been on VHF-FM as a USN
> officer of the deck coming in and out of port.)
>
> Do hams who operate from foreign registry ships use a call sign
> indicating the country of ship's registry when at sea, and a call
> sign of the host country when in port?  I'd be surprised.
I would expect the ship's master, when granting permission for a ham to
operate his station on the master's ship, to insist on it.  Of course,
when in American waters (e.g., Alaska inside passage), an American ham
would use his American call sign.

I'll ask my brother-in-law about this,  He is an American ham who works
on Holland America Line ships as the piano player in the piano bar.

  Jim K7KK

On 2011-04-21 01:53 PM, Chip Stratton wrote:

> Actual use of marine SSB frequencies by large commercial vessels seems to be
> exceedingly rare in this day of global satellite phone coverage, though
> there is still a requirement to carry MF/HF equipment depending on the
> operational distance from shore. While a ship's master may choose to
> prohibit your use of a QRP rig on board, the likelihood of it actually
> interfering with any ongoing communication at any given moment is
> exceedingly low to nonexistent, IMHO.
>
> If you are operating amateur maritime mobile (i.e. in international waters)
> I don't think there is a requirement to identify yourself with anything
> other than your amateur call sign.

But Chip, your amateur call sign is different when on a ship of foreign
registry. There *is* a requirement to be properly licensed as am amateur
radio operator by the ship's country of registry ("the country whose
flag the ship is entitled to fly").  While on the high seas on a Holland
America Line ship, I would be sure to have permission (such as a
reciprocal license) to show the ship's master, and would sign something
like "PA0/K7KK"; in Canadian waters, something like "K7KK/VE7" and in
American waters, just "K7KK" or perhaps something like "K7KK/KL7".

On my own vessel, in international waters (outside the territorial
waters of any country), I would sign something like "K7KK/R2" or on
phone, "K7KK maritime mobile in ITU region 2".

Jim K7KK
K3 #5263
Baba 30 sailboat #4

> Chip
> AE5KA
> GROL (but not GMDSS)

Re: KX1 strikes again - Cruise Ship Bootleg Operations (OT) [Thread closed]

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Folks, this thread was closed yesterday at 1604 PDT.

73, Eric  WA6HHQ
List Moderator
===

On 4/22/2011 12:55 AM, James Maynard wrote:
> U.S. hams on their own US-flagged boats are governed by FCC rule 97.11,
> which effectively forbids using the boat's marine HF radio also as the
> boat's only amateur radio. .......

Re: KX1 strikes again - Cruise Ship Bootleg Operations (OT)

k6dgw
On 4/21/2011 3:33 PM, Mike Morrow wrote:
> Chip wrote:
>
>> While a ship's master may choose to prohibit your use of a QRP rig
>> on board,
>
> He *definitely* has that authority.  In fact, what is very questionable
> is his authority to *allow* ham operation.  It doesn't matter that QRP
> is to be used.

I did this once on Princess Lines.  My experience is logged at
www.foothill.net/~andreaj/Ham.43.htm

Mike is right on just about all counts.  Since I "had the 'Master's
Approval', with conditions," I signed K6DGW/MM.  So far as I know, my
KX1 did not interfere with the ship's navigation ... they found the
mouth of the canal and all the ports ... there was no fire ... and I
followed the rules I was given.  Not sure now about what would have
happened if something had gone wrong.

Given my experience, which was great but maybe only a little fun in the
ham sense, unless you can be sure of hanging a clear antenna with the
boat on the side of the antenna you don't care about [despite all the
wood moulding and decks, the boat is made of steel], I'd concentrate on
enjoying the ports, ship, food, and whatever else you paid for.  That I
made any Q's at all is a testament to the KX1, rest assured it wasn't my
skill or perseverance.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011
- www.cqp.org