Re: KX3 kit shipping estimate

Don Wilhelm-4
Kieth,

How about a tape measure beam?  I believe 6 meters would be practical.
See http://www.ccars.org/Projects/TapeYagi/index.htm for one example -
increase the size for 6 meters.

On 5/16/2012 9:59 AM, Keith Heimbold wrote:

> I was so stoked to see that there was an order on the list that said his / her order date was Dec 30th unknown time. That is a big jump. I ordered mine on the 31st so I got to be getting close. Very excited as this will be my biz travel radio. Now need to find a good super ultra penultimatr portable Yagi for 6m that can fit in a standard pelican case.  Any ideas?
>
> Keith
> AG6AZ

Re: KX3 kit shipping estimate

Niel Skousen-2
I took a minute to look at the links, and I think the 6m yagi would have some problems with droop and the elements folding, BUT Don's idea has a lot of merit.

I think a 6m Halo's (round and square) could be very nicely done with a tape-measure & pvc construction.   Also, a Moxon beam might be nicely done with very light weight supports and tape measure / wire / pvc construction…

Niel
WA7SSA

On May 16, 2012, at 10:48 AM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Kieth,
>
> How about a tape measure beam?  I believe 6 meters would be practical.
> See http://www.ccars.org/Projects/TapeYagi/index.htm for one example -
> increase the size for 6 meters.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 5/16/2012 9:59 AM, Keith Heimbold wrote:
>> I was so stoked to see that there was an order on the list that said his / her order date was Dec 30th unknown time. That is a big jump. I ordered mine on the 31st so I got to be getting close. Very excited as this will be my biz travel radio. Now need to find a good super ultra penultimatr portable Yagi for 6m that can fit in a standard pelican case.  Any ideas?
>>
>> Keith
>> AG6AZ
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: KX3 kit shipping estimate

Vic Rosenthal
I don't get the appeal of tape measure material for antenna elements. Other than its
'self-measurement' property, what's good about it? It is made of steel, which has a
relatively high resistance, and isn't particularly durable.

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA

Re: KX3 kit shipping estimate

w5sxd
Not only that, a five foot long tape measure is gonna buckle when the first wind blows.

Richard W5SXD

Re: tape measure ant / elements

Niel Skousen-2
flexible but self supporting.    as a travel ant, the elements would stow nicely, but when 'rolled out', would remain self supporting

Niel

On May 16, 2012, at 1:06 PM, Vic K2VCO wrote:

> I don't get the appeal of tape measure material for antenna elements. Other than its
> 'self-measurement' property, what's good about it? It is made of steel, which has a
> relatively high resistance, and isn't particularly durable.
>
> On 5/16/2012 11:07 AM, Niel Skousen wrote:
>> I took a minute to look at the links, and I think the 6m yagi would have some problems
>> with droop and the elements folding, BUT Don's idea has a lot of merit.
>>
>> I think a 6m Halo's (round and square) could be very nicely done with a tape-measure&
>> pvc construction.   Also, a Moxon beam might be nicely done with very light weight
>> supports and tape measure / wire / pvc construction…
>>
>> Niel WA7SSA
>>

>> On May 16, 2012, at 10:48 AM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>>
>>> Kieth,
>>>
>>> How about a tape measure beam?  I believe 6 meters would be practical. See
>>> http://www.ccars.org/Projects/TapeYagi/index.htm for one example - increase the size
>>> for 6 meters.
>>>
>>> 73, Don W3FPR
>

> --
> Vic, K2VCO
> Fresno CA
> http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/

Re: KX3 kit shipping estimate

The 1 inch wide tape material is not likely to buckle as long as it is
kept flat and horizontal,
Lowes DIY Kobalt brand comes in 1 inch wide - I have not seen the
refills for that tape, but have not looked either.  I can stretch mine
out to almost 10 feet before it drops.

On 5/16/2012 3:33 PM, w5sxd wrote:
> Not only that, a five foot long tape measure is gonna buckle when the first
> wind blows.

Re: KX3 kit shipping estimate

Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy-3
To add to Vic's comment, the connections between the tape and the feeder
would have to be well protected against moisture and rain.  Any corrosion of
these connections could result in BCI to nearby FM broadcast receivers - the
rusty bolt effect.

A very neat and sturdy 6m yagi built by a friend many years ago for portable
use, was made of fibreglass tubing.  Both the boom and each element support
consisted IIRC of three lengths of tubing, with the outer parts "telescoped"
into the middle part, and locked into place by a bolt, washer and  nut.
Each element was made of large guage copper wire, taped to its support
tubing.

73,

Geoff
LX2AO

On May 16, 2012 at 21:06 +0200, Vic K2VCO wrote:

> I don't get the appeal of tape measure material for antenna elements.
> Other than its
> 'self-measurement' property, what's good about it? It is made of steel,
> which has a
> relatively high resistance, and isn't particularly durable.

Re: KX3 kit shipping estimate

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
Guys, please change the subject line to match the content.

73,
Eric
List moderator and subject line cop ;-)
www.elecraft.com