Re: N-GEN noise generator question

BobConvers
Thanks, guys.   Now I can get back to it.   BTW, what type of device is the
MAR-1?
73, Bob, WO3E

>>By the way it will work eithere way you mount it as long as the slanted
lead
>>is pointing toward C2.  The two leads on either side are connected to
>>ground.

>>73'Jim K4ZM

Re: Re: N-GEN noise generator question

zeke7237
I believe it's a MMIC amplifier .. basically gain-in-a-box good to 1Ghz

de W1RT/John

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:18:33 EST, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, guys.   Now I can get back to it.   BTW, what type of device is the
> MAR-1?
> 73, Bob, WO3E
>
> >>By the way it will work eithere way you mount it as long as the slanted
> lead
> >>is pointing toward C2.  The two leads on either side are connected to
> >>ground.
>
> >>73'Jim K4ZM

RE: Re: N-GEN noise generator question

Rick Commo
The device is known as an "MMIC" or Monolithic Microwave Integrated Circuit.
It is essentially two transistors and the associated biasing resisters that
from medium to high gain with decent noise figure over a very wide frequency
range from low 10s of MHz up to 10Ghz in some cases.

They are made and biased in a such way that they present roughly 50 ohms as
input and output impedances.  Sometimes they are referred to as "gain
blocks" with the implication that with little more than input and output
coupling capacitors and a single bias resistor for the output side you have
a gain block that can be embedded in a 50 ohm system.  The truth is you need
a little more than just those 3 components, but nor much.

Cheers,
-rick, K7LOG

Thanks, guys.   Now I can get back to it.   BTW, what type of device is the
MAR-1?
73, Bob, WO3E
.
.