Re: Now accepting orders for the Elecraft KX3 Transceiver

Re: Now accepting orders for the Elecraft KX3 Transceiver

Mike Morrow-3
FWIW, the prices and accessories to be offered for the KX3 are at
         http://www.elecraft.com/Misc/kx3now.htm .
Now isn't that much more sensible than playing the kid's game of
telling someone to "google" it?

One wonders, however, how many pointlessly stupid postings will show
up on this list during the next nine months by everyone who has just
ordered a KX3 (it's not KX-3).

Judging from the past 12 hours, it doesn't look too good for noise
levels here!  It's time to inhibit message delivery from this list.

Mike / KK5F

Re: Now accepting orders for the Elecraft KX3 Transceiver

Mark / Tatiana Gilstrap
>One wonders, however, how many pointlessly stupid postings will
>show up on this list during the next nine months by everyone
>who has just ordered a KX3 (it's not KX-3).

--------

Here's 1!

This is the first new radio (other than a portable receiver) I have bought
new - ever (in >50 years of wanting to).   That is kind of a big deal for
me.  I apologize if saying this is pointlessly stupid,  but I am excited.

Up to now my paycheck never seemed to keep up with the pricing of radios.  I
almost bought a Drake in the '70s and then my wife got pregnant with the
first of our 6 kids (so instead I bought a roto-tiller and a garden plot
from the Illinois Central Railroad).  I made other choices which have been
better than buying radios (e.g. being ordained and downgrading about $25K in
salary, and having no hope for retirement).

I imagine that a whole lot of other people have been, and are, in similar
circumstances (of a very long drought - and to us this KX3 is like warm
summer rain).   Please forgive us all in advance - for when we get on the
air we might still be excited.

It is not going to be painless to pay for the ~$1400 I committed to last
night (and no doubt some future add-ons),  but considering inflation and the
advanced technology going into this,  I feel like this is a bargain.

I am sure the introduction of this radio is going to increase the demand for
a lot of peripheral equipment from us who have been out of the market
(forever it seems).  Screwdrivers, other mobile accessories
computers/software,  mounts,  etc..., that is, if we don't get disheartened
by the more experienced.  Hopefully the KX3 will act to change the face of
ham radio as well (without becoming CB/2m-like).

Rev Fr Mark Gilstrap
K5MSG
www.hfnet.org

p.s. I first heard of Elecraft at a Broken Arrow (OK) Amateur Radio Club
presentation.  A fellow from Arkansas (part of the Four States QRP Group
www.4sqrp.com ) retired from work about the same time he lost interest in
ham radio,  after 50 years of operating... then he discovered QRP.   For his
presentation he brought in a K2 and some Altoid boxes containing various
goodies, set up, got on the air and won me over reigniting my life-long
interest - all in about 15 minutes - this was in the early '00s.  His
excitement was infectious. I now nearly ten years later I'm finally entering
into ownership.  I hope my excitement is not offensive.

Re: Now accepting orders for the Elecraft KX3 Transceiver

w7go
Probably almost as many as when the K3 was released.
Oh yeah, I ordered mine last night.

73,

Tony W7GO

On 12/28/2011 8:26 AM, Mark / Tatiana Gilstrap wrote:
>> One wonders, however, how many pointlessly stupid postings will
>> show up on this list during the next nine months by everyone
>> who has just ordered a KX3 (it's not KX-3).

Re: Now accepting orders for the Elecraft KX3 Transceiver

Mike Morrow-3
> Here's 1!

No, it's already about number 15, in just a few hours!

> This is the first new radio (other than a portable receiver) I have bought
> new - ever (in >50 years of wanting to).

Great!  But please...exactly **what value** is it to the list if each of
the several thousand purchasers of the KX3 post "I ordered one" or "I
ordered 13" or "I didn't get an e-mail after I ordered one" every time an
order is placed for the **next several months**??  Just what???  It's of no
value to me, and I doubt I'm alone with that assessment.  Not even the K3
caused such a rash of such pointless, inane "I ordered one" postings so
quickly.

I agree that the KX3 is potentially one of the most exciting products that
will soon present itself for amateur radio use.  I too will acquire one
when it becomes available.  But my telling the list that is just noise and
adds absolutely NO value to the list.  I hate to think of the potential for
the types of KX3 postings that have been made in the last 15 hours to continue
all through 2012.

Postings and commentary on some surprises in the information found at the KX3
order page http://www.elecraft.com/Misc/kx3now.htm would seem to be more useful
and informative, such as:

1. KXAT3 - "Includes filter elements to optimize AM broadcast band receive
            (0.5-1.6 MHz)."
2. KXBC3 - "Includes real-time clock, providing time display and alarm."
3. KXPD3 - Is it really worth $130?  (This is a question, not a comment.)

Or, how about specific questions that remain, such as:

1. Will the KX3 manual appear for download soon?
2. Will the KX3 manual contain detailed schematics, or just module-to-module
   interconnections?
3. Will a KX3 purchased "assembled and tested" be assembled with purchased
   optional internal accessories (KXAT3, KXBC3, KXFL3) installed and
   tested?
4. Is the broadcast band coverage module that was proposed last May now
   incorporated as part of the KXAT3, as the information that Elecraft Sales
   sent out yesterday implies, or is there yet another device coming?
5. Will MARS firmware be available when the KX3 starts shipping?

These are just a few items I can think of in about 15 minutes that would be
of much greater import to the list than my posting "I ordered one too".
Making a posting that says only "a KX3 has been ordered" is pure list noise.

> I imagine that a whole lot of other people have been, and are, in similar
> circumstances (of a very long drought - and to us this KX3 is like warm
> summer rain).

That's the real worry!  The KX3 could easily become a landmark product
purchased by thousands within a short interval.  I can only hope that a very
small percentage (0.001%) will feel compelled to clutter the list for months
to come, with postings as seen today that add nothing but QRM.

Mike / KK5F

Re: Now accepting orders for the Elecraft KX3 Transceiver

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
Folks - Please do -not- post criticisms of other postings or people to
the list. That only increases the overall list noise level and is
specifically prohibited in the list guidelines. (guess its time to
re-post those..)

Also, please note that this list also exists for feedback and motivation
to those of us at Elecraft. We enjoy seeing enthusiastic posts of all
types. It keeps us working the long hours necessary to feed your ham
radio habit ;-)

Free free to complain directly to the list moderator.  Do -not- attempt
to moderate list postings yourself, via on-list or even via private emails.

We will moderate when we feel its necessary to keep everything under
control. .

73, Eric   WA6HHQ
Elecraft list moderator

www.elecraft.com

On 12/28/2011 12:23 PM,  wrote:
> Great! But please...exactly **what value** is it to the list if each
> of the several thousand purchasers of the KX3 post "I ordered one" or
> "I ordered 13"

Re: Now accepting orders for the Elecraft KX3 Transceiver

Rick WA6NHC
It's all Elecraft's fault. They:
1) make a superior product
2) keep the prices reasonable
3) actively support their product line
4) send out announcements of new products of things hams actually want
5) have earned a faithful following
6) present new products at major events (Pacificon); generate excitement
7) keep producing upgrades to firmware and hardware, improving everything
8) haven't slowed down yet.

So I blame Elecraft. :-D

I'll put up with the 'QRM' because it still presents an opportunity to
learn, even if I don't have one of the other hardware.

Rick NHC

A couple of questions, some answered some not

va3bxg
1) While it maybe obvious to some, the standard package does not include a power supply (just like the K1 K2 etc)

Bummer

2) In along those same lines, what is the connector, polarity of the plug, or if the optional charger was ordered, can it power the unit to 10W as well as keeping the batteries fully loaded?

3) How much would it cost to get both cables rs232 and USB (v2 or v3?)

4) Any thoughts about adding bluetooth (for mobile operation)?

Just wondering
a kosher ham

On 12/28/2011 12:23 PM,  wrote:
> Great! But please...exactly **what value** is it to the list if each
> of the several thousand purchasers of the KX3 post "I ordered one" or
> "I ordered 13"

Re: Now accepting orders for the Elecraft KX3 Transceiver

Alan Bloom
On Wed, 2011-12-28 at 13:22 -0800, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

> You call it "QRM". That's an excellent description. But understand that 90%
> of the messages here on any subject are just QRM to many.

I think most of us are only interested in a small fraction of the
messages on the list.  But that fraction is different for each list
user.  For example, I have zero interest in the interminable microphone
and headphone threads, but somebody must find the subject interesting
judging by the number of postings.  I figure that's what the delete key
is for.

Alan N1AL

Use email client's junk mail filters...

John Ragle
Concurring with Alan...and pointing out that most email clients have
excellent filter mechanisms built in, so one doesn't even need to
exercise a finger to press "delete."  I have set a number of filters for
rejection of,  e.g. KX3, AGC, Microphone, Orders, Contests, Knobs. What
I find to be especially helpful or interesting are hardware bug reports
or difficulties for K2 and K3, transverters, etc. This tailors my
incoming Elecraft traffic according to my personal interests, and since
the filters are so easy to set up, one can relax them once the barrage
of "me-too" contributions to a thread dies down.

John Ragle -- W1ZI

=====

On 12/28/2011 4:55 PM, Alan Bloom wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-12-28 at 13:22 -0800, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:
>
>> You call it "QRM". That's an excellent description. But understand that 90%
>> of the messages here on any subject are just QRM to many.
> I think most of us are only interested in a small fraction of the
> messages on the list.  But that fraction is different for each list
> user.  For example, I have zero interest in the interminable microphone
> and headphone threads, but somebody must find the subject interesting
> judging by the number of postings.  I figure that's what the delete key
> is for.
>
> Alan N1AL

Sent from my lovely old Dell XPS 420

Re: Now accepting orders for the Elecraft KX3 Transceiver

Jim Low man
Point taken, Mike.  I won't add another "me too" to the noise, but I
will be ordering a KX3 later today when I get home.

In answer to your question #3 - I guess that depends on one's
perspective.  I can say that I had a chance to play with the KX3
equipped with the KXPD3 paddles, and liked the feel.
To some, the convenience of a built-in set of paddles versus bringing
one's own to the field may be important.  For the time being, I'm
willing to take along my Code Warrior.
Also, not being much of a phone guy except in contests, I'll pass on the
MH3 for the moment.
The beauty of Elecraft's radios is that these options can be added at a
later date if desired.

73 de Jim - AD6CW

On 12/28/2011 12:23 PM, Mike Morrow wrote:
> Postings and commentary on some surprises in the information found at
> the KX3 order page http://www.elecraft.com/Misc/kx3now.htm would seem
> to be more useful and informative, such as:

> 3. KXPD3 - Is it really worth $130? (This is a question, not a comment.)
> That's the real worry!  The KX3 could easily become a landmark product
> purchased by thousands within a short interval.  I can only hope that a very
> small percentage (0.001%) will feel compelled to clutter the list for months
> to come, with postings as seen today that add nothing but QRM.
>
> Mike / KK5F

Re: Use email client's junk mail filters...

Kevin Stover
Exactly. I filter my Elecraft email by model. Each rig Elecraft produces has it's own folder and the mail therein gets read when/if I want. No wearing out of the delete or mouse button.

I learned that lesson quickly with the K3 announcement and subsequent avalanche of "when is it going to ship" noise.

I have one request for all KX3 devotees and inquirers.
Please standardize the subject line. If it concerns the KX3 the first three characters in the subject should be KX3, not KX-3 or KX/3 or some other derivation.

It makes setting up one filter for the traffic easy and I think it's in the list guidlines as well.

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 17:30:45 -0500
John Ragle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Concurring with Alan...and pointing out that most email clients have
> excellent filter mechanisms built in, so one doesn't even need to
> exercise a finger to press "delete."  I have set a number of filters for
> rejection of,  e.g. KX3, AGC, Microphone, Orders, Contests, Knobs. What
> I find to be especially helpful or interesting are hardware bug reports
> or difficulties for K2 and K3, transverters, etc. This tailors my
> incoming Elecraft traffic according to my personal interests, and since
> the filters are so easy to set up, one can relax them once the barrage
> of "me-too" contributions to a thread dies down.
>
> John Ragle -- W1ZI
>
> =====
>
> On 12/28/2011 4:55 PM, Alan Bloom wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-12-28 at 13:22 -0800, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:
> >
> >> You call it "QRM". That's an excellent description. But understand that 90%
> >> of the messages here on any subject are just QRM to many.
> > I think most of us are only interested in a small fraction of the
> > messages on the list.  But that fraction is different for each list
> > user.  For example, I have zero interest in the interminable microphone
> > and headphone threads, but somebody must find the subject interesting
> > judging by the number of postings.  I figure that's what the delete key
> > is for.
> >
> > Alan N1AL

> > Post: mailto:[hidden email]

> Sent from my lovely old Dell XPS 420