Re: OT: Advice re: blocking RF from rx-only antenna

Re: OT: Advice re: blocking RF from rx-only antenna

Edward R Cole
As one who deals with isolating very sensitive low-noise preamps from
QRO levels at VHF I can offer a little more background on receiving
on the same antenna as one transmits.  At HF probably most coaxial
relays exhibit adequate isolation, but most eme'rs are familiar with
the situation that it isn't necessarily so at VHF and higher where
relay specs are derated.

Your goal should be that the receiver never sees RF above 0 dBm (1
mw).  So how much isolation does the relay require if you run
500w?  500w = 57 dBm, so you need at least 57 dB isolation.  Many
relays only offer about 45-dB isolation so check the specs.  They may
state good for a Kw or more but that is the transmit rating and not
isolation.  I initially used Tohtsu CX-600NL relays rated at 1200w
(but only had 45 dB isolation).  That meant my expensive low-noise
preamp was seeing +7dBm (5mw) which is marginal.

I upgraded to relays with over 100-dB isolation for use with my 1400w
2m-8877 amp.  At these levels it is most important that the relay is
not switched while 1400w RF is flowing thru it (called hot
switching).  A sequencer is the absolute solution for that.  MY
sequencer also detects relay position to enable the K3 via the
inhibit line.  Last week I had a failure on that ckt and no RF was
transmitted (worked as designed).  I had forethought and added an
inhibit bypass switch which allowed me to verify if it was a relay
issue of just control failure ( SWR was fine indicating a failure in
the inhibit control ckt).

Locating preamps at the tower top inside the near field of QRO
antenna arrays has additional problems.  I ended up using
double-shielded coax from the TR relay to the input of the preamp and
shielded 12vdc cable to prevent RF pickup on the power leads.  This
in addition to RF chokes and bypass caps being used on the preamp 12v
connection.

At <600w I did not encounter these issues!

73, Ed

-------------------------------------
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 20:32:17 -0400
From: Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] OT: Advice re: blocking RF from rx-only
         antenna
To: David Herring <[hidden email]>
Cc: [hidden email]

Dave,

That situation is dealt with routinely by VHF folks with mast mounted
preamps.
Using a coax relay to connect the amplifier to the antenna and a second
relay to connect the preamp to a 50 ohm load will usually provide
adequate isolation.

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45