Re: Portable Antennas (Is there and "easy" button?)

Re: Portable Antennas (Is there and "easy" button?)

Paul Huff-3
This simple antenna has worked very well with my 3-band KX1 (40-30-20).  The
original idea came from WA3WSJ.  The antenna consists of a 40-ft radiator that
is tossed up into a tree to form anything from an inverted-L, to a sloper, to a
vertical.  There are three 16-ft counterpoise wires that are laid out on the
ground.  The antenna and counterpoise are connected directly to the KX1 using a
BNC-to-banana-jack adaptor.  I have about 50-ft of fishing line attached to the
end of the radiator and put a fishing weight on the end of that.  I either use a
slingshot or my arm to toss the weight over a branch and then haul up the
antenna into place.  The radiator and counterpoise are both made from steel bead
wire.  It is a very strong but thin nylon coated stranded steel wire that is
used by craft people to make jewelry.  A 100-ft spool only cost about $7 at a
local fabric and craft store.  Of course the nylon coating must be removed to
make the connections, and since it's steel and can't be soldered a banana plug
that clamps onto the wire must be used.  The radiator, fishing line, and
counterpoise all wind back up on the spool that the wire originally came on.
This antenna is simple, strong, and light weight, and has given me good results
from the field with contacts all over the country and some DX as well.  I'm sure
that steel wire has all kinds of technical problems with velocity factors and
stuff like that, but it works.  Making it with some small gauge Teflon coated
copper wire should certainly work as well or better than the bead wire.

73,

Paul - N8XMS

Re: Portable Antennas (Is there and "easy" button?)

Michael Babineau-2
On the topic of solder-less banana plugs for antenna wires ... I really like these plugs from Radio Shack :

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102839

The picture doesn't do it justice. The plastic insulator part unscrews revealing a small screw-on metal sleeve underneath. You push the bare wire end
up through the end of the plug and out through a small hole in the side of the plug and then wrap the bit of wire protruding from the hole around the outside of the plug.
The little sleeve screws on over the exposed wire to make a secure mechanical and electrical connection.

I have found that sometimes the little screw-on sleeve will loosen over time so I sometimes put a dab of clear fingernail polish to keep it in place.
Also if you find your banana plugs are fitting loosely, then inserting the blade of a small penknife a short distance
into one slot and then the other at 90 degrees will tighten them up. The penknife blade seems to work best as I have on occasion broken a plug when trying to do this
with a small screwdriver (the penknife seems to have about the right taper to not damage the plug).

Along with the previously mentioned Pomona BNC to Banana Jack adaptor, you can easily connect wire antennas directly to the Elecraft Rigs
with internal tuners when operating portable (no feedline required).

Michael VE3WMB