Re: Subject: KX-1/MP-1 SWR limits

Cortland Richmond
Fred,

I've had pretty good luck on 20 with MP-1 bolted onto an neck-strapped
FT-817, but I have to hold onto the radio or use a counterpoise. I
suspect your trouble is that a KX1 and its attached wires are too small
to give a low feedpoint impedance.  You will need a counterpoise (15 or
16 feet) to help with this. Even one counterpoise will give the tuner
something to work into.

Have yet to try my (used, assembled) K1 with an MP1, however, the K1
manual points out that 2:1 or 3:1 SWR is not going to make much difference.

For portable, backpacking, walking cycling, canoeing, skiing,
snowshoing, snowmobileing (honest!) and who knows how else Amateur
Radio, check out the HFPack group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hfpack .

Cortland
KA5S

>From: Fred Jensen <[hidden email]>
>
>seem to come out OK.  On 20, with the pre-sets I've been using, the best
>I can get is about 3:1 according to the KX1 after the ATU relays quit.
>
>Questions:
>
>1.  Any ideas on what is an "acceptable" (in terms of actually being
>able to work someone) SWR for the KX1?
>
>2.  As with all antennas, I can tune the antenna for a variety of
>resistances and reactances.  I've been shooting for an impedance
>magnitude of around 50 ohms.  Possibly some combination of R and X is
>more optimum?
>
>It's getting a bit chilly here in N. Cal. to spend time on the deck
>using trial and error (MN folks get one, and only one, joke apiece
>regarding "chilly") and I was hoping for some accumulated knowlege that
>will save me from the cold.
>
>73,
>
>Fred K6DGW
>Auburn CA CM98lw

Re: Subject: KX-1/MP-1 SWR limits

Cortland Richmond
Fred, one more thing; why not just ignore the SWR and tune for maximum
received noise -- then let the tuner do its thing? You'll need to set
tuner to bypass first, of course  but you won't need to carry an SWR
analyzer.

Cortland