Re: Yosemite Sam & zulu time

Bill_Harris
I would think if one were receiving reports from different time zones, reporting in UTC/Z time would be the way to go.  Makes time record keeping much simpler on the receiving end.  JMHO of course.

Carry-on

K2Bill #973

> Who needs the reports of sig strength vs zulu time for Sam?
>
> Fred K6DGW
> Auburn CA CM98lw

Re: Yosemite Sam & zulu time

Stuart Rohre
It used to be Standard Operating Procedure for all hams to keep their logs
in Zulu, (Greenwich) time, in that for working other countries or other time
zones, this is the only practical way to keep QSL card records.

I think it is remiss of current education in ham radio, that we do not
emphasize the continued need for ALL emergency work, and casual operating
records, to be kept, and in Zulu time, just in case we have to document it
at some future time; when we were on the air on a particular date.  Don't
forget the date roll over, if your local date is some zones removed from
GMT.

Perhaps this lax time keeping currently, grew out of the dropping of the
requirement of keeping a log; but I keep one for HF  anyway, "just in case",
and for QSL purposes, and documentation of emergency communications.
Likewise, in working drills for ARES with Red Cross, we keep the Red Cross
log in GMT, to have an unambiguous time reference, and we keep a clock
marked GMT, in the Red Cross shack.  It really helps to use that 24 hour
based system, to know if an emergency message was delivered at midnite or
noon.

-Stuart
K5KVH

Re: Yosemite Sam & zulu time

Daniel Reynolds-2
Two log and time related comments:

- Keeping a log is great when you have a neighbor that complains that you're
the reason his (TV, Radio, VCR, Computer, Microwave, or Cat) went on the blink
last week. You can go back and ask him when it happened and confirm/deny it was
you when you both look over your log book.

- Sticklers for time in the U.S. should run (not walk) to WalMart (or
Amazon.com) and pick up a new Casio "Wave Ceptor" Analog/Digital WWVB watch.
The second time zone can be set to GMT (not London... there's a separate
setting for London). The GMT setting is not prone to DST adjustments - meaning
that there is no excuse for not being able to log the correct UTC/GMT time in
your log. I've had mine for over a week, and I absolutely love this watch.

- Daniel / AA0NI

--- Stuart Rohre <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It used to be Standard Operating Procedure for all hams to keep their logs
> in Zulu, (Greenwich) time, in that for working other countries or other time
> zones, this is the only practical way to keep QSL card records.
>
> I think it is remiss of current education in ham radio, that we do not
> emphasize the continued need for ALL emergency work, and casual operating
> records, to be kept, and in Zulu time, just in case we have to document it
> at some future time; when we were on the air on a particular date.  Don't
> forget the date roll over, if your local date is some zones removed from
> GMT.
>
> Perhaps this lax time keeping currently, grew out of the dropping of the
> requirement of keeping a log; but I keep one for HF  anyway, "just in case",
> and for QSL purposes, and documentation of emergency communications.
> Likewise, in working drills for ARES with Red Cross, we keep the Red Cross
> log in GMT, to have an unambiguous time reference, and we keep a clock
> marked GMT, in the Red Cross shack.  It really helps to use that 24 hour
> based system, to know if an emergency message was delivered at midnite or
> noon.
>
> -Stuart
> K5KVH

UTC display clock [Was: Yosemite Sam & zulu time]

Vic K2VCO
Stuart Rohre wrote:

> It used to be Standard Operating Procedure for all hams to keep their logs
> in Zulu, (Greenwich) time, in that for working other countries or other time
> zones, this is the only practical way to keep QSL card records.

It's annoying that the Windows clock program won't let you select a time zone.
I've written a tiny Windows (98, XP) program called UTC that displays the time
and date in UTC on the screen when your system clock is set to your local time.
  It figures out UTC from the time zone information made available by windows.
It  can be resized, locked in place, set to stay on top, etc. to fit in with
your desktop.  It's a big help in logging.

It is freeware as long as you promise to operate only CW for a week (just
kidding).  You can download it by clicking <http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/utcv01.zip>
Just unzip it and read the UTCREADME.TXT file.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

RE: zulu time

roncasa
Hi all

How abt changing the subject since we are now discussing time instead of
"Sam"??

Ron
Wb1hga

Re: UTC display clock [Was: Yosemite Sam & zulu time]

Thom LaCosta
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Vic Rosenthal wrote:

> It is freeware as long as you promise to operate only CW for a week (just
> kidding).  You can download it by clicking
> <http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/utcv01.zip>
> Just unzip it and read the UTCREADME.TXT file.

Thanks....although now that I don;t have to do the dreaded EST/UTC conversion on
my head, I may grow rusty(g).

Nice addition to have here....not only for ham radio, but also for IRC/ICQ/IM
with folks "across the pond".

73,Thom-k3hrn
www.zerobeat.net Home of QRP Web Ring, Drakelist home page,
Free Classified Ads for amateur radio, QRP IRC channel
Elecraft Owners Database
www.tlchost.net/              Web Hosting as low as 3.49/month

RE: Yosemite Sam & zulu time

Ron D'Eau Claire-2
Stuart K5KVH wrote:
I think it is remiss of current education in ham radio, that we do not
emphasize the continued need for ALL emergency work, and casual operating
records, to be kept, and in Zulu time,

----------------------------------
WhadidImiss???

Is there anyone who doesn't log in zulu??

Really???

I know a lot of ops who don't log, but that's just strange to me.

Maybe it's just an OT habit, but I keep a "station log" - not just QSO
records (which are electronic on my Palm Pilot nowadays since it makes it so
easy to find prior contacts) but also a record book of doin's at AC7AC -
experiments, incidents of escaping smoke, happy dances when no smoke got
out, odd band cdx, and, lately, the ever present 'Yosemite Sam' threatening
"Varmit I'ma gonna blast you to smithereens..." DSB on 3700, 6500 and 10,500
kHz (so far - I suspect he's on more frequencies because this transmission
lasts about 5 seconds and repeats at exactly 40-second intervals. That
allows time for 8 frequencies from a single transmitter!)

Ron AC7AC

Re: zulu time

G3VVT
Note in the discussions of using Zulu time that keeping a station log is
apparently no longer required in the USA.

In the UK a permanent log of station operation is still mandatory, whether
it be in a book or by electronic means. Times have to be recorded in UTC (i.e.
Zulu/GMT) together with other details such as frequency, class of emission
and  power used. Presumably this requirement is primarily for tracing sources of
 interference to other parties.

Probably would keep a record even if it was not mandatory as it is
invaluable to find out who and when you have contacted in the past.
Getting to the point now anyway where I have brain erasure every time it
goes dark outside. When this is added to a restricted hearing capability,  is a
subject to agitate she who must be obeyed in the extreme.

Bob, G3VVT

Brendan Minish EI6IZ wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-12-22 at 15:10 -0800, Vic Rosenthal wrote:
>

>>It's annoying that the Windows clock program won't let you select a time zone.
>

> it does, just set your computer's timezone to Casablanca and you will
> have UTC all year round

The problem is that at least in my case I use the computer for other, non-ham
radio, things and I didn't want to change the timezone.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

Re: UTC display clock [Was: Yosemite Sam & zulu time]

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
Administrator
See http://wa5znu.org/log for a simple UTC clock that you can put in any
web page and view on a PC, Mac, or Linux.  Copy the HTML and JavaScript
out and put it on your home page and you will always have a Zulu time
clock.  Email me if you need help getting it going.
WA5ZNU Leigh.

Re: Yosemite Sam & zulu time

Stuart Rohre
I notice the lack of familiarity with military time and Zulu time keeping
among our ARES members, and new hams during simulated emergency tests, or
public service events where any messaging is done.  It is widespread since
the recission of the requirement to keep a log, I am afraid.
-Stuart
K5KVH