Re: what should I hear using cw reverse vs

Re: what should I hear using cw reverse vs

Julius Fazekas n2wn
Unless I have it backwards, when you are tuning in on
a signal "normal" CW will tune from the high side to
zero beat, in reverse you'll start hearing the signal
on the low side (ie the signal is at 7.025, you will
start hearing it around 7.0243 at a high pitch)
Julius
n2wn

Julius Fazekas
N2WN

Tennessee Contest Group
http://www.k4ro.net/tcg/index.html

Tennessee QSO Party
http://www.tnqp.org/

Elecraft K2        #4455
Elecraft K3/100 #366
Elecraft K3/100

RE: what should I hear using cw reverse vs

Don Wilhelm-3
Julius,

You do have it backwards (assuming your BFOs are set normally).  In CW mode,
the pitch of the received signal becomes higher as you tune to a higher
frequency.  In CWr, the pitch goes lower as the tuned frequency goes higher.

If you want a 'mental memo' you might think that in CWreverse, the signal
pitch is the 'reverse' of the tuning direction.

Don,
Thanks, I think I just didn't write it clearly, or you
explained it better. In CWr (I think about tuning
during S&P in a contest), you go from a higher pitch
sounding signal to a bass sounding signal tuning from
the bottom of the band up.

You might fill me in, and probably others, what is the
advantage of CWr? Or is it like the sidetone frequency
a preferential thing? I can see some use in a contest
situation for it...
Cheers,
Julius
n2wn

--- W3FPR - Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Julius,
>
> You do have it backwards (assuming your BFOs are set
> normally).  In CW mode,
> the pitch of the received signal becomes higher as
> you tune to a higher
> frequency.  In CWr, the pitch goes lower as the
> tuned frequency goes higher.
>
> If you want a 'mental memo' you might think that in
> CWreverse, the signal
> pitch is the 'reverse' of the tuning direction.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR

Elecraft K3/100 #366
Elecraft K3/100

RE: what should I hear using cw reverse vs

Ron D'Eau Claire-2
Julius, N2WN wrote:
You might fill me in, and probably others, what is the advantage of CWr? Or
is it like the sidetone frequency a preferential thing? I can see some use
in a contest situation for it...

--------------------
There is really only one reason for switching sidebands in CW: to help you
avoid QRM. If another signal is close but not zero beat with the signal you
are copying, changing sidebands (CWn to CWr or vice versa) will change the
amount of separation between them.

Ron AC7AC

Re: what should I hear using cw reverse vs

Julius Fazekas n2wn
You say TomaHto, and I say Tomayto... ;o)
Julius
n2wn

--- Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Are not you good gentlemen saying the same thing, or
> have I got it sideways
> and should go away?
> 73 to both,
> Geoff.
> GM4ESD

Elecraft K3/100 #366
Elecraft K3/100

Re: what should I hear using cw reverse vs

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
CW and CWR are like USB and LSB for voice, but with CW either will work,
as nobody sounds like Donald Duck in code, hi hi.  If you are bothered
by QRM (e.g., below the OM you are in QSO with, but not above, or vice
versa) switch to CWR.  It may help even if you have filters switched in,
as the filters may have different responses above and below.

73,
Leigh.
On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 7:42 am, J F wrote:
> You might fill me in, and probably others, what is the
> advantage of CWr?

RE: what should I hear using cw reverse vs

Sverre Holm

You are both right here, the K2 in CW normal mode, tunes upwards in beat on
the low bands (160m - 17m) and tunes down in beat on the higher bands. This
is due to the K2's mixing schem with low side injection for the higher
bands. But the K2 remebers the CW/CWr setting per band, so I have mine set
up for CWr for 15-10 meters, and CW normal for the other bands. In this way
it always tunes up in beat for an increase in frequency as the default.

73

Sverre
LA3ZA
http://www.qsl.net/la3za/

You do have it backwards (assuming your BFOs are set normally).  In CW mode,
the pitch of the received signal becomes higher as you tune to a higher
frequency.  In CWr, the pitch goes lower as the tuned frequency goes higher.

If you want a 'mental memo' you might think that in CWreverse, the signal
pitch is the 'reverse' of the tuning direction.

VR2BrettGraham
AC7AC replied to N2WN, concerning use of CWr:

>There is really only one reason for switching sidebands in CW: to help you
>avoid QRM. If another signal is close but not zero beat with the signal you
>are copying, changing sidebands (CWn to CWr or vice versa) will change the
>amount of separation between them.

Another (admittedly not so obvious) reason is that as you tune across
the band search & pouncing on stations (like I think Julian mentioned),
if you use CWr you could tune the band in the opposite direction from
others & still have signals falling in tone as you tune across them
(direction of tuning that I suspect we all prefer).

If you are tuning across the band & the same station keeps beating you
each time you stop to call somebody, this trick could help get you out
of "sync" with him & much of everybody else (probably even more so if
you are just chasing DX during a contest with a QRP Elecraft rig, or with
marginal antennas or whatever).

73, VR2BrettGraham