Really old receivers

eric manning-2
Does anyone else remember or have a Wireless Set Nr. 19?

Built during WW2 for the Canadian Army Armoured Corps and our Soviet
Allies [it had Russian and English markings],
it was a transceiver, weighed a lot, and I cut my teeth on one. Covered
ALL ham bands [between 2 and 8 Mc/s].
Most repairs could be made by dropping it on a hard surface.

[Other than that, I don't have a good thing to say about the old beast.
It reached truly new lows in performance, even for the 1940s.]

Eric
VA7DZ

believed to be clean.

Re: Really old receivers

Kevin Cozens-2
On 12-06-26 01:57 PM, ERIC MANNING wrote:
> Does anyone else remember or have a Wireless Set Nr. 19?

I used to have a Nr. 19 set complete with the English and Russian writing on
it. I had it on a sturdy table in my bedroom and used it to listen to the
ham bands and some shortwave stations.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
                                 | powerful!"
#include <disclaimer/favourite> |             --Chris Hardwick

Re: Really old receivers

Conard Murray
I tinkered with a WS19 and had it on the air and worked a few people
with it. I found out the hard way that there is full transmitter B+ on
the key. Ouch!
73,
Conard, WS4S
K2 # 0074

Re: Really old receivers

peter solly
On 6/26/2012 4:52 PM, peter solly wrote:

> On 6/26/2012 1:57 PM, ERIC MANNING wrote:
>> Does anyone else remember or have a Wireless Set Nr. 19?
>>
>> Built during WW2 for the Canadian Army Armoured Corps and our Soviet
>> Allies [it had Russian and English markings],
>> it was a transceiver, weighed a lot, and I cut my teeth on one. Covered
>> ALL ham bands [between 2 and 8 Mc/s].
>> Most repairs could be made by dropping it on a hard surface.
>>
>> [Other than that, I don't have a good thing to say about the old beast.
>> It reached truly new lows in performance, even for the 1940s.]
>>
>> Eric
>> VA7DZ
>>

>> Eric: My friend  Greg, ve3oga, has at least 2, 19 sets that are
>> complete and working. I think both units have the # 29 set which has
>> a 220 mhz xcvr used as an intercom between very nearby tanks.  the 19
>> set provided limited AM communications; but far better albeit chirppy
>> cw.
> 73 de ve3ad

Re: Really old receivers

Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy-3
I spent many hours under the hot African sun in Natal South Africa during
the 1940s using the "19", which was the beast which those of us in the
signals group of my school's cadet corp had to use.  The "19s" which we had
included the VHF "B", and during one exercise a school friend and I
discovered that we could maintain contact using the VHF "B" over distances
of a couple of miles or more,depending upon the terrain.  I suspect that
this "discovery" might have caused some concern, because the "B" was
designed for secure comms between tanks no more than 800 yards apart -
according to our Instructor.  Anyway my friend and I were asked a lot of
questions :-)

73,
Geoff
LX2AO

On June 26, 2012 at 7:57 PM, ERIC MANNING wrote:

> Does anyone else remember or have a Wireless Set Nr. 19?
>
> Built during WW2 for the Canadian Army Armoured Corps and our Soviet
> Allies [it had Russian and English markings],
> it was a transceiver, weighed a lot, and I cut my teeth on one. Covered
> ALL ham bands [between 2 and 8 Mc/s].
> Most repairs could be made by dropping it on a hard surface.
>
> [Other than that, I don't have a good thing to say about the old beast.
> It reached truly new lows in performance, even for the 1940s.]
>
> Eric
> VA7DZ

Re: Really old receivers

Guy, K2AV
Are you ever dating yourself  :>)    Did the Brits ever get those early
National military receivers to use, or did only the Yanks have them?