Regarding KAT500 current drain

wayne burdick
Administrator
Just to clarify an earlier topic: The KAT500 will draw well under 1
amp under any normal circumstances. Our engineering team may discover
a way to make it draw over 1 amp for entertainment purposes, but our
target for the average case is about 500 mA.

Wayne
N6KR

Re: Regarding KAT500 current drain

Rick WA6NHC
So we could expect that a newly mod'ed K3 12VDC output can supply the P3, 6M
pre-amp and the KAT500 combined?  One switch (K3) to control them all
(precious).  ;-)

Rick wa6nhc

Re: Regarding KAT500 current drain

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
No. We do not recommend powering this number of devices form the K3 AUX
12v conn.

Eric
---
www.elecraft.com

On 4/24/2012 7:58 PM, Rick Bates wrote:

> So we could expect that a newly mod'ed K3 12VDC output can supply the P3, 6M
> pre-amp and the KAT500 combined?  One switch (K3) to control them all
> (precious).  ;-)
>
> Rick wa6nhc

ke9uw
I think we need a device that powers a number of 12 vdc devices triggered by the 12 v coming out of the K3. However one way is to get the "rigrunner" 12v strip that has a current sensor in one of the ports which turns on the rest of the ports...and plug the K3 into that current sensing port.

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 25, 2012, at 11:52 AM, "Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No. We do not recommend powering this number of devices form the K3 AUX
> 12v conn.
>
> Eric
> ---
> www.elecraft.com
>

> On 4/24/2012 7:58 PM, Rick Bates wrote:
>> So we could expect that a newly mod'ed K3 12VDC output can supply the P3, 6M
>> pre-amp and the KAT500 combined?  One switch (K3) to control them all
>> (precious).  ;-)
>>
>> Rick wa6nhc

Chuck, KE9UW

Re: Regarding KAT500 current drain

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

> However one way is to get the "rigrunner" 12v strip that has a
> current sensor in one of the ports which turns on the rest of the
> ports...and plug the K3 into that current sensing port.

If you do that, *do not* power any accessory that handles audio going
to the transceiver mic or line inputs from the "auxiliary" power strip.
Doing so will result in "RFI" as transceiver return current finds its
way back to the power strip through the accessories and in turn pumps
the ground (power supply) reference for those accessories.

When using an auxiliary power strip it is absolutely impossible to
provide a zero Ohm return for the transceiver's primary power supply
and return current *will* divide among the multiple returns (some
via accessories).

If one has "12V" accessories and a "12V" transceiver, the accessories
should always be powered from an auxiliary output on the transceiver
*or* from a *completely isolated* power supply.  *Never* connect
accessories to the same supply as the transceiver.   Kenwood have
recognized this issue for years; all of the instruction manuals for
their 12V transceivers recommends using a separate power supply for
TNCs and Terminal Units.  While Kenwood references "noise pickup"
the real reason is to avoid "noise" coupling via the power supply
return.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 4/25/2012 1:00 PM, hawley, charles j jr wrote:

> I think we need a device that powers a number of 12 vdc devices
> triggered by the 12 v coming out of the K3. However one way is to get
> the "rigrunner" 12v strip that has a current sensor in one of the
> ports which turns on the rest of the ports...and plug the K3 into
> that current sensing port.
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Apr 25, 2012, at 11:52 AM, "Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ,
> Elecraft"<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> No. We do not recommend powering this number of devices form the K3
>> AUX 12v conn.
>>
>> Eric --- www.elecraft.com

Re: Regarding KAT500 current drain

Richard Squire - HB9ANM
But of course, you can power a relay from the K3 12V connector
to control whatever you like!

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote
No. We do not recommend powering this number of devices form the K3 AUX
12v conn.
Richard - HB9ANM

Re: Regarding KAT500 current drain

ke9uw
That was my first thought actually, but I am using the RR strip right now. Maybe we need an empty box about the size of the tuner box for the home brew K3 custom accessory.

Chuck, KE9UW
aka Jack, BMW Motorcycles

But of course, you can power a relay from the K3 12V connector
to control whatever you like!

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote

> No. We do not recommend powering this number of devices form the K3 AUX
> 12v conn.

-----
Richard - HB9ANM

Chuck, KE9UW