Regarding Toroids and Transformers

Vin Cortina
As I mentioned in an earlier message, K1-4 S/N:1977 is coming along.  I do
have some questions/observations which I would like to put out here.
Having done a few of the toroids now, I have noticed some things. I am NOT
having that much trouble stripping/tinning the leads, but I notice
sometimes, no matter how much I strip (I use the solder blob method), the
wire always seems to be dull, as if the solder just doesn't want to stick to
it.  I am certain I have burned off all the insulation.  In fact, on two
occassions, I heated them til they got brittle, and fell off.
Also, just how critical is the tightness of the winding, and how precise
must the equal spacing of the windings be?  When doing transformers, the
instructions specifically tell you to intertwine the windings, and some you
can just wind "over" the previous one.  But when I do that, the second wire
tends to get in between the first anyway. Problem there?

I get this terrible, nagging feeling I am gonna be buying more red and green
wire soon.  ;-)

But man, am I lovin' this.

Vin  KR2F

Mount Tremper, NY