Repairing a Hakko 808 desoldering tool

N6JW
Greetings all:

Flush with success from repairing a Lithium Ion battery pack
I am (foolishly?) ready to take on my defective Hakko 808.

I reported the (rare?) failure on this list some time ago.  It
would not get hot enough to even melt solder.  Pump is fine.
With kind help from Tom (N0SS) I was able to determine
that the heating element is OK (it get very hot, very quickly,
when directly connected to 110v ac).  The problem is the
temp control board (sigh).  I can even "see" its rapid pulsing
in the dimming of a table lamp connected to the same outlet.
I called Hakko service (even got a RA number, but being out
of warrantee, repair costs will likely be high).  Just maybe I
can do this myself, quicker, and for less ?! (How's that for
self-delusion?).  But I will need some help.

1. Anyone else have similar symptoms on their 808?  If
so, any suggested solutions?

2. Anyone have a circuit diagram for the temp control
board?

3. Anyone have (or, perhaps, even be willing to go get)
resistance/voltage measurements at relevant points in the
circuit, that could help me track down the problem?

Of course, if I can find a defective part, I will be faced
with a classic conundrum--how are you going to
de-solder the defective part from your de-soldering tool!
Out comes, I suppose, the wick, the 'bulbs', and other
pre-historic tools used back before 'enlightenment' :)

Now, if I can win this one, I can get on with finally putting
the temp comp circuit into my K2/100.  Not that mine
really needs it, but I have been known to become long
winded at times . . . <sorry>

Thanks, and a Happy New Year to all,

73
John, N6JW