Rework eliminators

Stan AE7UT
I'm just starting a K2 build and was thinking about using the rework eliminators.
I spoke with a tech at Elecraft today who was not real positive about them.
He recommended just building it by the book.
I have just the basic K2 but plan on putting all the options in over the next year.

Thanks for any input you may have.
73
Stan AE7UT

Re: Rework eliminators

David Pratt
I agree with what Elecraft say, Stan, and just follow the excellent
assembly manual. You can't go wrong if you follow the instructions to
the letter.  Those so-called 'Rework eliminators' are quite expensive
for what they are but would perhaps be useful for anyone building lots
of K2 kits or do a lot of K2 servicing and fault finding.

73 de David G4DMP

In a recent message, Stan AE7UT <[hidden email]> writes

--
 + - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +
 | David M Pratt, Kippax, Leeds.   |

Re: Rework eliminators

Millerhill
I agree. I built most of the add ons and never had any problems except for the occasional brain malfunction where I installed the wrong component HiHi.

By the book and you'll be fine.

73
Steve
W1SFR

Sent from my iPad

On May 21, 2013, at 1:54 AM, Stan AE7UT <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm just starting a K2 build and was thinking about using the rework
> eliminators.
> I spoke with a tech at Elecraft today who was not real positive about them.
> He recommended just building it by the book.
> I have just the basic K2 but plan on putting all the options in over the
> next year.
>

> Thanks for any input you may have.
> 73
> Stan AE7UT

Re: Rework eliminators

Stan,

If you install the rework eliminators, I strongly recommend you do *not*
change the value of C71 nor install D19 and D20 until you are actually
ready to install the real K60XV option.

Those component changes will alter the VFO Range Select in a manner that
cannot be properly tested until the K60XV is installed.
The other Rework Eliminators do not cause problems of that nature.

On 5/21/2013 1:54 AM, Stan AE7UT wrote:

> I'm just starting a K2 build and was thinking about using the rework
> eliminators.
> I spoke with a tech at Elecraft today who was not real positive about them.
> He recommended just building it by the book.
> I have just the basic K2 but plan on putting all the options in over the
> next year.
>

> Thanks for any input you may have.
> 73
> Stan AE7UT

Re: Rework eliminators

K1FFX
I did not install the rework elimininators and wish I had. I added the KSB2 last year and did not really enjoy the disassembly and reassembly of the K2 that was required.  I also had difficulty desoldering the RF board jumpers (although that probably just reflects my skill level).

73 -

Bruce K1FFX
Bruce Rosen
K1FFX
K2/100 6982 KSB2 KAT100-1 KAF2 KIO2

Re: Rework eliminators

RobertG
I've only built one K2, #5957. I installed the Rework Eliminators as I
went along with the build, and there was no problem doing so.
Subsequently, I installed all the on-board options for the K2. What with
putting sub-assemblies in and taking them out for various reasons, I am
very glad I had the RWE's there from the beginning. While not an expert
on the K2 by any stretch of the imagination, I don't see how using them
would compromise any aspect of the build and/or operation of the K2.
Note, my unit is <not> equipped with the 60m option which may be an
issue as noted elsewhere in this thread. I was and am very satisfied
with them.

...robert

On 5/21/2013 05:54, Stan AE7UT wrote:

> I'm just starting a K2 build and was thinking about using the rework
> eliminators.
> I spoke with a tech at Elecraft today who was not real positive about them.
> He recommended just building it by the book.
> I have just the basic K2 but plan on putting all the options in over the
> next year.
>

> Thanks for any input you may have.
> 73
> Stan AE7UT

Robert G Strickland, PhD ABPH - KE2WY
[hidden email]
Syracuse, New York, USA

Re: Rework eliminators

Stan AE7UT
Thanks for all the replies.

I think I'll give them a shot.

73
Stan AE7UT

K2 building mistake - my blindspot

Stan AE7UT
Just finished the first part of the K2 build.
Fired it up and the LCD was not working.
The end of a 2 day search was a single IC pin not soldered.

This is the second time I've missed an IC pin that tripped me up.
I swear I check them and I swear I recheck them!
The one I missed was the worst possible one - U1 under the LCD and backlight.
I carefully removed the LCD and backlight which was a miserable task.
SOLDERED the lone pin and now it's working FB.

It's frustrating to keep doing the same stupid thing.
At least this time I found the problem and fixed it on my own.

73
Stan AE7UT

Re: K2 building mistake - my blindspot

Josh Fiden
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015IN8J6/

$32 well spent!

I remember the good ole days when I only needed these for SMT.....

73,
Josh W6XU

On 6/4/2013 10:33 AM, Stan AE7UT wrote:

> Just finished the first part of the K2 build.
> Fired it up and the LCD was not working.
> The end of a 2 day search was a single IC pin not soldered.
>
> This is the second time I've missed an IC pin that tripped me up.
> I swear I check them and I swear I recheck them!
> The one I missed was the worst possible one - U1 under the LCD and
> backlight.
> I carefully removed the LCD and backlight which was a miserable task.
> SOLDERED the lone pin and now it's working FB.
>
> It's frustrating to keep doing the same stupid thing.
> At least this time I found the problem and fixed it on my own.
>
> 73
> Stan AE7UT

Re: K2 building mistake - my blindspot

k6dgw
FWIW: At one point in my so-called "engineering career," we were heavy
into prototyping [thru hole technologies] on the benches.  We were
plagued with this problem, one or more pins unsoldered.  I was in grad
school at night, and at dinner one evening, I sat across from a
psychology professor.  His advice:

"You can check and re-check as much as you want.  You're just going over
the same steps you went over the first time when you installed the
part[s].  You just did it [or think you did], it is basic human nature
to look right past the problem, a lot like proofreading what you've just
written.  The key is to have some mechanism, separate from just looking
at the construction steps, to yield a check."

Mine became:  At a "solder point" in the construction, count the number
of pins to be soldered.  Preferably do it by counting each component
making a list of how many pins it actually has, and then add up the
list.  As you solder, stop after each pin and mark down a "1".  When you
think you're done, add up the 1's.

The key is that the check has separate steps from the steps you take
while soldering.  I used this on my K2 and KX1 and had no unsoldered
components.  As I said, FWIW.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2013 Cal QSO Party 5-6 Oct 2013
- www.cqp.org

> On 6/4/2013 10:33 AM, Stan AE7UT wrote:
>> Just finished the first part of the K2 build. Fired it up and the
>> LCD was not working. The end of a 2 day search was a single IC pin
>> not soldered.

Re: K2 building mistake - my blindspot

Edward R Cole
Fred K6DGW wrote

"You can check and re-check as much as you want.  You're just going over
the same steps you went over the first time when you installed the
part[s].  You just did it [or think you did], it is basic human nature
to look right past the problem, a lot like proofreading what you've just
written.  The key is to have some mechanism, separate from just looking
at the construction steps, to yield a check."
------------------------------
I've found separating a project into steps and checking/testing after
a break (next day is best) helps to see things with a fresh
perspective.  It also helps to keep multiple mistakes from clouding
the issue.  One can often make a few ohmmeter tests to see if
continuity exists (or doesn't).  Measuring expected voltage levels or
signals can reveal a missed step or error.

The same approach works when writing up a technical
piece.  Professional tech writing never leaves proof reading to the
original author.  In my experience my work was reviewed by at minimum
two other people.  After each review the original author gets to see
the results of proofing and make corrections.  After a few review
loops the product approaches nearly no errors either in composition
or technical accuracy.  When I did not have the benefit of a
reviewer, I resorted to proofing after a sufficient time away from
writing.  Repetition of reviewing your work also helps.  Spell
checkers give one almost the same benefit of having a second pair of
eyes read your draft.

Of course when applying this to building your favorite project it is
hard not to resist "just plugging it in...and hoping for no 'smoke'
".  This, too often, results in letting out some smoke --- oops!

One rule I always made in repair work was the final functional test
after the item was fully reassembled and supposedly
"repaired".  Stuff can happen that will leave a contact or connector
not fully made.  The "Final" test is where you catch that.  Nothing
more embarrassing then to show a customer the "repaired" item and
have it not work!

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
[hidden email]