Rig recption comparison

George A. Thornton
I have begun running my personal comparison test between three
receivers.  The tests have been on SSB reception.

My newly constructed K-2 (with DSP)

Kenwood TS 2000

Older TS930s that I recently had professionally tuned up.

The bottom line is that there is no comparison.

I live in a fairly urban, high noise location.  The noise floor on the
TS 2000 makes it almost unusable on HF.  Using the same antenna, I often
can't even tune in stations that are clear as a bell on the 930 and K2.

I am also finding that the K2 is outshining the much venerated 930s.

With filters properly set on the K-2 I find that if I get any reception
at all, the stations coming in on the K2 are clear with inconsequential
background noise.

>From early tests, the 930s is usually able to hear the same stations.
However, I need to fiddle with controls a lot and there is a big noise
floor.  I think the DSP in the K2 has contributed substantially to the
K2's superior performance.

The 930s probably has a superior AF amplifier and sound volume.  When
the unit is properly set up the sound can really boom out (my wife
complains a lot) and the tone is rich with good tone balance.  However,
ONCE THE FILTERS ARE PROPERLY TUNED, the K2 has more than adequate
volume and tone.  Again, the DSP, which does a superior job of noise
control, comes through for the K2, making reception a much easier,
clearer and more pleasant experience.

All in all I am very satisfied with the performance of this little box.
As I sit here in Seatte I am listening to a SSB station from Los Angeles
that is coming in as clear as if it was broadcasting next door.

I am going to make a more close comparison between the K2 and the 930s
in the next couple of weeks.  I will limit my use of the 2000 to the VHF
and UHF frequencies, where it does an excellent job.