Runaway Serial Port

Parker Buckley
Used to be, when I started my Win98 computer, my Rigblaster would cycle once for a couple of seconds, requiring that I be careful not to transmit inadvertantly.  When I upgraded to XP, I noticed the Rigblaster cycles 5 or 6 times in rapid succession during boot-up.  Yesterday, I installed an Edgeport 4 so I can run the Rigblaster and my KIO2 from a common USB port.  Now it's gotten worse.  The Rigblaster will sometimes cycle 5 or 6 times during normal Windows operation, like clicking on a feature in Powerpoint, clicking to enlarge a view in Explorer, etc.  It seems to be a random event, in that it is not repeatable.  Tonight, I'll put the Rigblaster back on the serial port to see if that calms things down.  Longer term, I'd like to solve this as I have at least one more serial port application I'd like to set up.  Any ideas?

Parker K2 #2636
WD8JOL

Re: Runaway Serial Port

Parker Buckley
Don,

I plan to do exactly as you suggest.  It was fun getting the Edgeport
working, but I don't think it's good for running the Rigblaster.  I posed
the question to a friend at work who is much more computer literate than I
and got the following suggestion: "Looks like you have to edit the registry
to stop Plug and play from constantly enumerating the serial ports.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283063 has the gory
details."  I checked the website and read some pretty scary stuff for
someone with my level of expertise.  Thanks for emailing.

Parker WD8JOL