SSB C r Firmware command

Tom Mc
I'm not sure I understand the K2's "SSB C r"  firmware command or if I am
using it properly.

Am I correct in stating that it's main purpose is to use a different
compression (usually 1-1 ) than that which is set by SSB C ?

I use my K2 to run PSK 31 (mostly on 20 meters) and would like to avoid
having to turn off the compression, so this setting would make sense.

I have, of course, set RTTY to "On"

I have set Fl1 through FL4 to the same bandwidths for both modes but it
seems as though I am getting a lot more PSK31 signals on my screen when I
use the "U" mode than I do using the "r" mode.  (On 20 mtrs I am using CW
reverse with the "r" mode - I think that is right.)

This is not a big deal as I can continue using the "U" mode and manually
change the compression setting, but I thought I should understand what the
"r" setting is all about.

Thanks
Tom WB2QDG
K2 1103

Re: SSB C r Firmware command

Don Wilhelm-3
Tom,

You are correct that the RTTY ('r' indicator) mode gives you a compression
setting that is independent of the SSB mode (USB or LSB) - when RTTY mode is
selected, if one enters the menu and selects SSBC, it will display SSBCr to
let you know that this is the setting for RTTY mode as opposed to SSB mode
(either USB or LSB).

If your RTTY filters (and the corresponding BFO frequencies) are set the
same as the SSB filters, you should hear the same passband.  It is not
sufficient to simply set the passband widths the same, but you must also
align both BFOs for each filter to match the audio range that you wish to
demodulate.  If you need detail information on aligning the filters, look at
my webpage (www.qsl.net/w3fpr) article dealing with K2 dial calibration -
Step 3 is the CAL PLL section.

I am confused with your mention of CW reverse in the context of RTTY mode -
CW reverse is an entirely different mode and will not work for PSK31 except
in a receive only situation (transmit will make CW dots when the PTT line is
active and in CW mode).