SSTV and the K2

Tom Mc
I've been trying my hand at SSTV with my K2 and so far haven't been too successful.  I'm using the MMSSTV software and haven't been able to receive a picture.

I've been using the headphone jack connected to my computer's sound card but I'm only getting a bunch of 'snow' on the screen.  Is there a better place to pick up the audio.  I realize, of course, that the headphone jack is connected to the AF control.

I use this same configuration for PSK31 and am able to receive quite well.

Thanks for any comments you might be able to provide

Tom McCulloch, WB2QDG
K2 #1103

Re: SSTV and the K2

Don Wilhelm-3
Tom,

Based on a guess that the high frequency roll-off built into the headphone
jack may be causing you a problem, you may want to try the external speaker
jack instead.

If you have success with the external speaker jack, yet want audio that is
independent of the AF gain control, you may want to install my K2 Fixed
Audio boards (see my webpage www.qsl.net/w3fpr for more info) - I have 11 of
the full kits remaining ($15 1st class mail, $17.50 USPS Priority mail) and
LOTS of boards ($5 1st class mail).

> I've been trying my hand at SSTV with my K2 and so far haven't been too
> successful.  I'm using the MMSSTV software and haven't been able to
> receive a picture.
>
> I've been using the headphone jack connected to my computer's sound card
> but I'm only getting a bunch of 'snow' on the screen.  Is there a better
> place to pick up the audio.  I realize, of course, that the headphone jack
> is connected to the AF control.
>
> I use this same configuration for PSK31 and am able to receive quite well.

Re: SSTV and the K2

g4ilo-2
Could be the stock K2 SSB filters are a bit narrow for SSTV. Also, you
need a fair bit more power for SSTV than you do for PSK. I tried SSTV
without success either because I'm using QRP. I could receive OK, though.

If you're using MixW then you can send images using the MFSK mode. I had
quite a bit of success with that at 4 - 5W - results comparable to SSTV
at 30 - 40W output, though the images are a bit smaller and take a
little longer.
--
Julian, G4ILO (RSGB, ARRL)
G4ILO's Shack: http://www.tech-pro.net/g4ilo

"W3FPR - Don Wilhelm" wrote:

[...]

RE: SSTV and the K2

Rich Lentz

I have gotten excellent SSTV pictures using MixW2 with my K2.  The audio is
normally coming from the "Headphone" jack, so I don't think that is your
problem.  More likely is that you do not have the frequency tuned in
properly - If the voice is good it should be on frequency.  Another cause
could be that you are not using the right mode. MixW2 auto picks the mode.
I have not transmitted SSTV, so don't know about that but it should work.
Make sure you are using XFIL - 1 (OP1).  ChromaPix also receives good SSTV
on the K2.  Either of these give you a trial period and may help you figure
out what to do with a "free" program.  These can be found by a WWW search.

Rich,
KE0X

Re: SSTV and the K2

Allen Ward-2
I have been using the MMSSTV software for some time to receive SSTV (I am not interested in transmitting and just monitoring).  I use the headphone jack and get good pictures if the signals are strong enough.  With all the MM software you have to figure out how it works by trial and error (lots of trial and plenty of error).  The hardest thing is to correctly tune the signal.  If you tune the ham's voices correctly then the signal for the picture will be correct.  If you put the receive on Auto sometimes it correctly selects the mode (Scottie 1, Scottie 2, etc.) and sometimes not.  All the pictures I get are slanted and I have to clean them up after they are received.  I find it is fun to play with for a hour or so once in awhile but soon becomes boring (depending on the subject matter of the pictures).
Getting it to work correctly is a learning experience.   Just a get a strong signal tuned correctly and let it play.
Allen

Re: Re: SSTV and the K2

Tom Mc
Thanks to all who replied to my query regarding the audio out of the K2 and
receiving SSTV transmissions.  I'm still on the left side of the learning
curve, but all of your help has helped things go a lot smoother.

Hope to 'see' you on 14.230 soon.

Tom
WB2QDG K2 1103