Saving K2 VFO modes

AC6JA
I have the latest 2.04 firmware revision for my K2.  Are there any  future
firmware revisions planned that will allow different modes to be saved  for
VFO A and VFO B.  It would be nice to save CW in "A" and USB in  "B".

Mike  AC6JA
**************The Average US Credit Score is 692. See Yours in Just 2 Easy
Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222376998x1201454298/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=M
ay5309AvgfooterNO62)

Re: Saving K2 VFO modes

Mike Harris-9
Hi Mike,

This request goes back years, way before the K3.  K2 development has
stalled with the introduction of the K3.  I suspect the only way to get it
moving again is to open source the firmware.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO

|I have the latest 2.04 firmware revision for my K2.  Are there any
future
| firmware revisions planned that will allow different modes to be saved
for
| VFO A and VFO B.  It would be nice to save CW in "A" and USB in  "B".
|
| Mike  AC6JA

Re: Saving K2 VFO modes

WE0H
You got my vote on open source or finding someone to work on updates on
occasion...

--
Mike
WE0H

Mike H wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> This request goes back years, way before the K3.  K2 development has
> stalled with the introduction of the K3.  I suspect the only way to get it
> moving again is to open source the firmware.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike VP8NO
>

> From: Mike
>

> |I have the latest 2.04 firmware revision for my K2.  Are there any
> future
> | firmware revisions planned that will allow different modes to be saved
> for
> | VFO A and VFO B.  It would be nice to save CW in "A" and USB in  "B".
> |
> | Mike  AC6JA

Re: Saving K2 VFO modes

wayne burdick
Administrator
Mike-WE0H wrote:

> You got my vote on open source or finding someone to work on updates
> on occasion...

Mike (et al),

The K2's present MCU is maxxed (no code space left). That's the main
reason there's been no further development on it. But it's also a very
mature product. Requests for changes or additions are very rare. And
just to complicate things, there's no way to upgrade K2 firmware over
the serial port, as on the K3. K2 firmware updates at present involve
swapping in a new chip.

There is, however, a newer PIC available that I believe is
pin-compatible with the K2's that would double the code space and allow
for a "boot loader" (to make it electronically upgradeable). I'm
looking forward to building the code for this part and trying it out
sometime.

Regarding open sourcing the K2 code: It would take far more of my time
to prepare for this than to just make any needed changes myself. To
pack everything the K2 does into a small amount of code space required
that much of it be written in assembler, which is inherently more
abstruse than C (etc.). It also required the creation of a proprietary,
heavily optimized real-time OS. There are a dozen or so state machines
and a unique interrupt structure where every cycle is carefully
counted.

Even though the code is well-documented, I'd want to create
theory-of-ops and maintenance documentation before I tried to hand it
off to another programmer. This is often necessary for projects where
you don't have the luxury of writing everything in an encapsulated,
object-oriented language, such as on a PC with virtually unlimited code
space.

Meanwhile, I save all of the suggestions I receive (or see posted)
regarding future K2 functionality.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

---

http://www.elecraft.com

Re: Saving K2 VFO modes

AC6JA
Thanks for the update.  This will remain on my wish list.
Until then, looks like it might be time to upgrade to the K3 as it seems to
 have all that I want!
Thanks for all your hard work that brings us  joy!

Mike  AC6JA

In a message dated 5/3/2009 3:39:06 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[hidden email] writes:

Mike-WE0H wrote:

> You got my vote on open source or finding  someone to work on updates
> on occasion...

Mike (et  al),

The K2's present MCU is maxxed (no code space left). That's the  main
reason there's been no further development on it. But it's also a  very
mature product. Requests for changes or additions are very rare. And
just to complicate things, there's no way to upgrade K2 firmware over
the serial port, as on the K3. K2 firmware updates at present involve
swapping in a new chip.

There is, however, a newer PIC available  that I believe is
pin-compatible with the K2's that would double the code  space and allow
for a "boot loader" (to make it electronically  upgradeable). I'm
looking forward to building the code for this part and  trying it out
sometime.

Regarding open sourcing the K2 code: It  would take far more of my time
to prepare for this than to just make any  needed changes myself. To
pack everything the K2 does into a small amount  of code space required
that much of it be written in assembler, which is  inherently more
abstruse than C (etc.). It also required the creation of a  proprietary,
heavily optimized real-time OS. There are a dozen or so state  machines
and a unique interrupt structure where every cycle is carefully
counted.

Even though the code is well-documented, I'd want to  create
theory-of-ops and maintenance documentation before I tried to hand  it
off to another programmer. This is often necessary for projects where
you don't have the luxury of writing everything in an encapsulated,
object-oriented language, such as on a PC with virtually unlimited code
space.

Meanwhile, I save all of the suggestions I receive (or see  posted)
regarding future K2  functionality.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

---

http://www.elecraft.com

Post:  mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by:  http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list:  http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

**************The Average US Credit Score is 692. See Yours in Just 2 Easy
Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222376998x1201454298/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=M
ay5309AvgfooterNO62)

Re: Saving K2 VFO modes

WE0H
Hi Wayne,

Excellent to hear there is a future to the K2's software. Thank you for
the update on this. C-U- @ Dayton

--
Mike
WE0H

Wayne  wrote:

> Mike-WE0H wrote:
>
>> You got my vote on open source or finding someone to work on updates
>> on occasion...
>
> Mike (et al),
>
> The K2's present MCU is maxxed (no code space left). That's the main
> reason there's been no further development on it. But it's also a very
> mature product. Requests for changes or additions are very rare. And
> just to complicate things, there's no way to upgrade K2 firmware over
> the serial port, as on the K3. K2 firmware updates at present involve
> swapping in a new chip.
>
> There is, however, a newer PIC available that I believe is
> pin-compatible with the K2's that would double the code space and
> allow for a "boot loader" (to make it electronically upgradeable). I'm
> looking forward to building the code for this part and trying it out
> sometime.
>
> Regarding open sourcing the K2 code: It would take far more of my time
> to prepare for this than to just make any needed changes myself. To
> pack everything the K2 does into a small amount of code space required
> that much of it be written in assembler, which is inherently more
> abstruse than C (etc.). It also required the creation of a
> proprietary, heavily optimized real-time OS. There are a dozen or so
> state machines and a unique interrupt structure where every cycle is
> carefully counted.
>
> Even though the code is well-documented, I'd want to create
> theory-of-ops and maintenance documentation before I tried to hand it
> off to another programmer. This is often necessary for projects where
> you don't have the luxury of writing everything in an encapsulated,
> object-oriented language, such as on a PC with virtually unlimited
> code space.
>
> Meanwhile, I save all of the suggestions I receive (or see posted)
> regarding future K2 functionality.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>
> ---
>
> http://www.elecraft.com

Re: Saving K2 VFO modes

David Woolley (E.L)
wayne burdick wrote:

> Even though the code is well-documented, I'd want to create
> theory-of-ops and maintenance documentation before I tried to hand it
> off to another programmer. This is often necessary for projects where
> you don't have the luxury of writing everything in an encapsulated,
> object-oriented language, such as on a PC with virtually unlimited code
> space.

In my experience, most open source software lacks this sort of
documentation, so lack of documentation shouldn't be seen as a reason
for not opening the source.  The only things that should take time are
getting copyright clearances if anyone but Elecraft owns the copyright
and making the business case for releasing it.

On the other hand, I'm a little concerned that such documentation
doesn't already exist.  When I started in the software industry, one of
the first things one was told was that one should document code as
though one expected to be run over by a bus, the next day.

--
David Woolley
"The Elecraft list is a forum for the discussion of topics related to

Re: Saving K2 VFO modes

Bill Coleman-2

On May 3, 2009, at 6:40 PM, wayne burdick wrote:

> Meanwhile, I save all of the suggestions I receive (or see posted)
> regarding future K2 functionality.

Wayne was collecting these ideas starting two years ago, just as the
K3 was announced:

http://n2.nabble.com/Re%3A-Announcing-the-Elecraft-K3-Transceiver%3A-10-100W%2C-160-6m-td446059.html#a446076

I gave a lot of thought to my list of improvements in this thread -- I
can't think of anything I'd add right now, either. At least, nothing
that can easily be fixed. (I do have an issue running RTTY and having
to change the audio injection level each time I change bands, but I'm
not sure how that can be "fixed" since RTTY AFSK runs below the ALC
level of the K2, so you're subject to all the gain variation from band
to band)

Most of my wishes are really about the KSB2:
http://n2.nabble.com/KSB2---1.9-kHz-mods-and-wish-list-td371924.html#a371924

I hope Wayne will have time to address these wishes. While the K3 is
great (and I still can't afford one yet), the K2 is quite good, and
could be better.

I'm glad the K3 has been such a runaway success for Elecraft. I still
love my K2.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: [hidden email]
Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

Re: Saving K2 VFO modes

Bill Coleman-2

On May 4, 2009, at 5:19 AM, David Woolley (E.L) wrote:

> hen I started in the software industry, one of
> the first things one was told was that one should document code as
> though one expected to be run over by a bus, the next day.

As a fellow software professional, I agree with you in theory.
However, things in the real world don't always work according to
theory. With a small shop, especially in a start-up, doing things in
this fashion might make the difference between shipping the product
and making money, or delaying shipment and going broke.

You can probably count the number of programmers who have written K2
firmware on the fingers of one hand. With such a small community, it
may be simpler to communicate using "tribal knowledge" than extensive
documentation.

The biggest problem I find professionally with code documentation is
that external documentation often goes completely out of date by the
time it is written and is rarely updated. Internal code documentation
fares little better -- but it is at least close to the actual code.

The best advice I've found is to follow the 40+ year-old findings of
Gerald M. Wienberg in "The Psychology of Computer Programming" -- the
only hope for creating readable code is to have programmers regularly
read each other's code through a process of code review.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: [hidden email]
Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

Re: Saving K2 VFO modes

Vic K2VCO
Bill Coleman wrote:

> You can probably count the number of programmers who have written K2
> firmware on the fingers of one hand. With such a small community, it
> may be simpler to communicate using "tribal knowledge" than extensive
> documentation.

My guess is that you could count them on the fingers of one finger!
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

Re: Saving K2 VFO modes

KK7P
>> You can probably count the number of programmers who have written K2
>> firmware on the fingers of one hand.
>
> My guess is that you could count them on the fingers of one finger!

Double that if you include the KDSP2 :-)

73,

Lyle KK7P