Shaft Encoder - KX1 #897

k6dgw
I've noticed recently that the VFO shaft encoder doesn't seem to count
reliably.  I usually run in the 100 Hz resolution, and turning it slowly
in the increasing frequency direction will sometimes result in a 100 or
200 Hz decrease.  The key seems to be "slowly," going faster seems to be
ok.  I am sure this is recent (last few weeks) and wasn't a problem when
I first finished the kit.

Is this a common problem?  Is it fixable?  I finished bought the kit at
Pacificon in Oct 04 and finished it a couple of weeks later.  I will
admit that my KX1 is getting quite a bit of use ... I worry the K2 is
feeling like an ignored step-child these days.

73,

Fred K6DGW
Auburn CA CM98lw

RE: Shaft Encoder - KX1 #897

Ron D'Eau Claire-2
Fred, K6DGW wrote:

I've noticed recently that the VFO shaft encoder doesn't seem to count
reliably.  I usually run in the 100 Hz resolution, and turning it slowly in
the increasing frequency direction will sometimes result in a 100 or 200 Hz
decrease.  The key seems to be "slowly," going faster seems to be ok.  I am
sure this is recent (last few weeks) and wasn't a problem when I first
finished the kit.

Is this a common problem?  Is it fixable?  I finished bought the kit at
Pacificon in Oct 04 and finished it a couple of weeks later.  I will admit
that my KX1 is getting quite a bit of use ... I worry the K2 is feeling like
an ignored step-child these days.

I can't reproduce it on KX1 #004 Fred. Nor have I heard of other complaints.

I'd recommend a very close inspection of the encoder connections. Two or
three months is a common interval for a missed joint to start acting up as
some oxide forms on the metal surfaces, depending upon the weather
(Literally! Humidity, etc. Sometimes a missed joint won't show up for a year
or more but it seems they do more often sooner than later.)

Ron AC7AC