Shortened figures

R K Johnson-2
I hate to show my ignorance, but after a dozen or so moves in my
lifetime I've long since lost my original ticket. How does one find
out "Year first licensed"? Mine is ca 1945 plus or minus 1.

73 - Bob - W4MKO

RE: Shortened figures

Dan Barker
Evidently you guess<g>.

I've tried posts in various forums for "Old QST's" and "First Licensed"
databases and come up empty. QST used to (at least in the early 1980s)
publish the "Last Call Issued" by zone. So if N4GMN was higher than the last
call in July, and lower than the last call in August, then my ticket must
have been issued in August of that 1981. But so far, I've found nobody
who'll look me up.

QCWA has old callbooks for this purpose, but publishing callsigns was a slow
process back then. I got WG4S (Amateur Extra) in 1982, but my General (first
ticket I think - Didn't techs get longer calls?) N4GMN first appeared in the
1983 callbook. I don't "think" I went from General to Amateur Extra in 10
months, but maybe I did. I do remember a lot of sessions at the Stein Club
with a Heathkit keyer, a few pitchers of beer, and N4GMN, N4FBN and KR4W
sending code around the table so maybe time went pretty fast! I also
remember badly flummoxing the copy on the 20 wpm test of occupation - All I
got was "mber". My guess was right cause I got the ticket! What would you
guess?

Long story short (oops, too late), I use 81 in contests but am safe from the
QCWA until 2008 (AARP already got me tho - They don't seem to care when you
were licensed).

Dan / WG4S nee N4GMN / K2 #2456

First logbook #2 entry:      9/06/82, 7,170 Kcs (Advanced portion of the
band).
Additional logbook #2 note: 10/12/82 - Amateur Extra test passed

<snip>

I hate to show my ignorance, but after a dozen or so moves in my
lifetime I've long since lost my original ticket. How does one find
out "Year first licensed"? Mine is ca 1945 plus or minus 1.

73 - Bob - W4MKO

</snip>