Shorty P3

Andy Faber
Elecrafters:

I've just finished an interesting project, cutting a P3 in half!  I wanted to reduce the size and weight of the P3 I take down to P49Y in carry-on luggage, so I cut the top, bottom, and side panels to shorten them, drilled a few holes, and, voila, a P3 that is less than 5 inches deep.

  It works fine and should be easier to fit in my computer bag.

  In addition to the general sacrilege of cutting up an Elecraft product, there are some downsides: (1) While the current P3 is mostly empty space, obviously Elecraft has plans to put more stuff inside it, and it I want to use that capability, presumably they will sell me new panels (actually I received suggestions to make new aluminum panels to avoid this problem and also to still further reduce weight). (2) The tilt angle is changed, and requires the back to be propped up on something; and finally (3) Elecraft's concept of intentionally adding weight by using steel panels so that the unit doesn't move when buttons are pushed has been compromised, but I think I can live with that.

  Anyway, I'm very pleased with my Shorty P3.  BTW, great thanks to Jeffrey, WA6KBL, who did the machining after I realized my tools were inadequate to the job.  He has a garage that looks like a machine shop and knows how to use all those power tools, too.

  Pictures are at
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=1AbNmTlw1aMWFU&emid=shareprintsharer&linkid=link4&cid=EM_sharshar

73, Andy AE6Y

Re: Shorty P3

Oliver Dröse
Great workmanship, Andy & Jeff, ufb!

Looking forward to work you from Aruba (again ;-)).

73, Olli - DH8BQA

> I've just finished an interesting project, cutting a P3 in half!  I wanted
> to reduce the size and weight of the P3 I take down to P49Y in carry-on
> luggage, so I cut the top, bottom, and side panels to shorten them,
> drilled a few holes, and, voila, a P3 that is less than 5 inches deep.
>
>  It works fine and should be easier to fit in my computer bag.
>
>  In addition to the general sacrilege of cutting up an Elecraft product,
> there are some downsides: (1) While the current P3 is mostly empty space,
> obviously Elecraft has plans to put more stuff inside it, and it I want to
> use that capability, presumably they will sell me new panels (actually I
> received suggestions to make new aluminum panels to avoid this problem and
> also to still further reduce weight). (2) The tilt angle is changed, and
> requires the back to be propped up on something; and finally (3)
> Elecraft's concept of intentionally adding weight by using steel panels so
> that the unit doesn't move when buttons are pushed has been compromised,
> but I think I can live with that.
>
>  Anyway, I'm very pleased with my Shorty P3.  BTW, great thanks to
> Jeffrey, WA6KBL, who did the machining after I realized my tools were
> inadequate to the job.  He has a garage that looks like a machine shop and
> knows how to use all those power tools, too.
>
>  Pictures are at
> http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=1AbNmTlw1aMWFU&emid=shareprintsharer&linkid=link4&cid=EM_sharshar
>
> 73, Andy AE6Y

> -----
> eMail ist virenfrei.
> Von AVG uberpruft - www.avg.de
> Version: 2012.0.1913 / Virendatenbank: 2114/4873 - Ausgabedatum:
> 15.03.2012

Re: Shorty P3

Mike K2MK
Hi Andy,