Simply Amazed - A Story of the K2

k0wa@swbell.net
Ladies and Gents,

I have been somewhat inactive for the last 8 months due to health issues with my wife and myself.  Never grow old!  My wife broke her leg and I have osteoarthritis that hampers my tower climbing let alone getting around home and work.  Myt wife and I are in our 50s and still think we are in our 20s.  So, it has been a discouraging year on the medical front.  But,

This weekend, I was doing a little hamming withe the K2/100 and the KAT100.  What amazed me was the versatility of the KAT100.  I screwed up this weekend by accidentally switching to Antenna 2.  You can do that very easily and not know it.  So, I got out the KAT100 book and started troubleshooting.  After about 15 minutes (yea, I'm slow too), I discovered my mistake.  It would work on all bands except 20 meters.  Well, everytime I went from band to band it would switch in Ant 1 except on 20 where it went to Ant 2.

Well, I was pleased with myself for figuring that out but then started reading more of the manual.  I have not read the manual for quite some time.  So, as I was re-reading the manual I saw that the KAT 100 is a simple LC tuner.  Now, I've been reading on Eham recently about 1/2 wave antennas and also random wire antennas.  So, I started playing around with the KAT 100 on my 160 meter Inverted-L.  Now the Inverted-L is not perfect, but the KAT-100 matched it quickly.  Then, hey this should work on 80 and 40 too.  It did quite well too.  Then I tried it on 30 meters and it worked like a champ.  I have not put up antennas for the new WARC bands so it was nice to know that I have at least 30 meters to work with.  I have not tried to match the Inverted-L on the higher bands because I was having to much fun have a QSO.

The KAT100 is a great tuner...as I said the the subject line....I am simply amazed.

Lee - K0WA