Smith Chart Software (Free)

Jim Brown-10
I just found this very nice Java application written by Ward, AE6TY.  He
calls it SimSmith.  You'll need Java loaded on your computer to run it.

http://www.ae6ty.com/Smith_Charts.html

I've had some email conversations with the author, and he's been quite
responsive to questions. There are two pieces of documentation on this
page. I strongly suggest printing and studying them to understand the
user interface.  SimSmith models loss in lines.

Ward says that he is continuing to work on SimSmith, and that an updated
version with a new user interface is close to release.

I was able to import an antenna measurement I'd made at the shack end of
a known length of feedline using my Ten Tec VNA as an S2P file, and
transpose it with SimSmith to obtain the impedance at the antenna.  I
can now use that transposed data to design a matching network.  I was
also able to import SWR data from EZNEC (lastz.txt) and design a
matching network for it.

73, Jim K9YC

Re: Smith Chart Software (Free)

alsopb
Guys,

Smith charts are great once one has made it up the steep learning curve.
  A alternative simple approach for common needs is the TLW program.

The TLW program which came with the ARRL Antenna Handbook on CD computes:
1) Load complex impedance given the shack end coax type and cable type
and length.  Also the reverse.
2) Matching network values
3) Coax loss vs coax length at a specified frequency for a dozen or so
coax lengths.  Mismatch loss is also edited.
4) Plots current and voltage vs distance from the xmitter toward the
load.  One may be pretty surprised how high voltages can climb with
various mismatches.

Very handy.

The downside of these "end of coax" tools is that many of us have runs
made up of mixed coax types. This can be confounding. You have to know
the length(s)!  Also the coax parameters in the models are nominal and
may not reflect your 10 year old coax.  VNA's generally handle the "as
is" coax parameters.  I don't have a $500+ VNA floating around.

73 de Brian/K3KO

-----