Software CW in K3 and KX3 and contesting

Software CW in K3 and KX3 and contesting

Ignacy
Both K3 and KX3 can send CW via a software command. Is this feature useful for contesting? Does any contesting software support  CW via command?

This feature is especially important for KX3 where there is no possibility of keying via serial cable. Also for K3 if an interface does not allow for CTS/RTS, e.g., if one uses Microham StationMaster.

Ignacy, NO9E

Re: Software CW in K3 and KX3 and contesting

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

 > Does any contesting software support  CW via command?

No, and none of the big three are likely to do so as the "KY" command
is not uniform across all brands and lacks the ability to determine
buffer status or edit buffer contents.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 8/9/2012 12:01 PM, Ignacy wrote:

> Both K3 and KX3 can send CW via a software command. Is this feature useful
> for contesting? Does any contesting software support  CW via command?
>
> This feature is especially important for KX3 where there is no possibility
> of keying via serial cable. Also for K3 if an interface does not allow for
> CTS/RTS, e.g., if one uses Microham StationMaster.
>
> Ignacy, NO9E

Re: Software CW in K3 and KX3 and contesting

Rick Ruhl
Who are the big three Joe?

 > Does any contesting software support  CW via command?

No, and none of the big three are likely to do so as the "KY" command is not
uniform across all brands and lacks the ability to determine buffer status
or edit buffer contents.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 8/9/2012 12:01 PM, Ignacy wrote:
> Both K3 and KX3 can send CW via a software command. Is this feature
> useful for contesting? Does any contesting software support  CW via
command?

> This feature is especially important for KX3 where there is no
> possibility of keying via serial cable. Also for K3 if an interface
> does not allow for CTS/RTS, e.g., if one uses Microham StationMaster.
>
> Ignacy, NO9E

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: Software CW in K3 and KX3 and contesting

Cady, Fred
I've never done it, but can't N1MM be set up to send macro's to the K3
with its (N1MM's) function keys? I don't know if variable information
can be sent that way.
Probably easier just to make a keying interface ala the old days.

73,
Fred
KE7X

Fred Cady
"The Elecraft K3: Design, Configuration and Operation"
www.ke7x.com
fcady at ieee dot org

For Windows contesting packages, they are in seniority order, Writelog,
N1MM Logger and Win-Test.  There are several others that specialize in
some areas - primarily a local language or support for a limited number
of "local" contests - but the "big three" represent around 80% (my
estimate) of total logs submitted using contest specific software.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 8/9/2012 3:21 PM, Rick Ruhl wrote:

> Who are the big three Joe?

Thomas Horsten
Win-Test is my choice for contesting. In the latest contest I used my KX3
(novelty value and wanted to try a conetst in QRP), and I missed the
automatic keying with DTR/CTS, but on the other hand had fun sending
everything with the paddles.

However, I think all of the programs you mention support the Win-Key keyer,
which also uses serial port commands and has a protocol where you can query
the buffer state and clear it.

I think (and this would be one for Wayne to answer) that it would be easy
enough to add a K(X)3 command in the firmware to allow you to query the
buffer state and/or stop sending the remaining buffer. If so, it would be
possible to add rig-controlled keying to these contest-loggers and/or write
a generic Win-Key emulator that would present as a virtual serial port and
handle the commands to the K(X)3. It would be great for the KX3 and even
for the K3 as the CTS/DTR keying has a severe disadvantage in that Windows
isn't a real-time operating system and sometimes the program will hang for
a few milliseconds, resulting in a dit turning into a dah (or a pause),
this could be avoided entirely by having the rig control the timing (as
with the Win-Keyer).

Wayne is probably extremely busy with KX3 stuff at the moment but an entry
on the TODO/IDEAS list would be appreciated ;)

73, Thomas M0TRN

On 9 August 2012 21:14, Joe Subich, W4TV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For Windows contesting packages, they are in seniority order, Writelog,
> N1MM Logger and Win-Test.  There are several others that specialize in
> some areas - primarily a local language or support for a limited number
> of "local" contests - but the "big three" represent around 80% (my
> estimate) of total logs submitted using contest specific software.

Re: Software CW in K3 and KX3 and contesting

Pete Smith N4ZR
N1MM Logger, Win-Test and Writelog.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World Contest Station Database, at www.conteststations.com
arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000

On 8/9/2012 3:21 PM, Rick Ruhl wrote:

> Who are the big three Joe?

GOBrien
My reply didn't get attached to this thread, so I will try again.  Yes, there is a logging program that uses the serial port of the KX3 via software CW.  I used RUMped very successfully during Field Day this year on my KX3 #151.  I connected to it via the KXUSB cable to my 2011 MacBook Air.  I can recommend RUMped as a contesting app to anyone running OSX.  73 de George, AB4FH

Re: Software CW in K3 and KX3 and contesting

Scott Monks
Rumlog and rumped both work well, but Rumped is contest oriented. 73, Scott aa0aa
Enviado desde mi oficina móvil BlackBerry® de Telcel

Re: Software CW in K3 and KX3 and contesting

Barry K3NDM
I infer that contesting and contest CW aids are what you are after. I
use N1MM contest logging software to control my K1EL keyer. It works
with any radio that can be used with a key. However there are other
contest logging packages around, but most are designed to operate with
an external keyers also. Actually, this is a fairly simple approach that
allows for some flexibility.

73,
Barry
K3NDM

On 8/9/2012 12:01 PM, Ignacy wrote:

> Both K3 and KX3 can send CW via a software command. Is this feature useful
> for contesting? Does any contesting software support  CW via command?
>
> This feature is especially important for KX3 where there is no possibility
> of keying via serial cable. Also for K3 if an interface does not allow for
> CTS/RTS, e.g., if one uses Microham StationMaster.
>
> Ignacy, NO9E

Re: Software CW in K3 and KX3 and contesting

Ignacy
That RUMped works well with KX3 software scheme means that it can be done. Even if not perfect, this would stop taking other interfaces/CW keyers, cables, etc. If KX3 is small but extra boxes take twice as much space, how good is it?

So it seems that there are 3 approaches to contest CW with KX3:

1. Extra keyers

2. Changes to contest packages

3. Modified USB/serial cable (most likely)

For the last point, it seems that KX3 control port is just serial port with RX/TX at 4800 baud, changeable to 38.4k.  If one has a plain USB/serial cable, one needs to concoct two cables: one for RX/TX and the other for CW, possibly with a  transistor buffer. I am not sure whether something like this has been suggested in another thread.

4. Option 3 made as new cable by Elecraft.

Option 2 is best IMHO for KX3 followed by 4 if we convince Elecraft (or third party) to do it.

Ignacy, NO9E

Re: Software CW in K3 and KX3 and contesting

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

RUMPed/RUMLog is unique because it is written for Apple by one person
for his own use/his own equipment.   It does not support the Windows
environment and multiple transceiver protocols.  Tom can concentrate
on optimizing operation with the K3 (and KX3 to the extent it works
the same as the K3).

 > 2. Changes to contest packages

While I can't say for Win-Test, I have often heard developers for the
other packages say they will not support a "CW over CAT" interface
as it is simply not "cost effective" given the limited number of rigs
that it would serve and the need to do multiple versions to support
Elecraft, Kenwood, and the limited number of Icom models with similar
capability.  All of the "big three" and most other contest *and* day
to day loggers support CW by DTR and WinKey.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV