Soldering station questions (please, no wars)

Soldering station questions (please, no wars)

Michael Bower N4NMR
1) Mine may be going bad:

I suspect my temp controlled soldering station is going south on me.  In
building my K2, I've noticed that it takes longer to get the solder flowing.

Are there any _cheap_ but somewhat accurate ways of testing a station like
this?  (Sorry, don't remember the brand name but it is one of the known
ones.)

2) recommendations (again, please, no wars here):

If I have to replace my current station, can someone tell which of the
Weller stations are good and which are ones to avoid.  It seems that Weller
is the only thing that I can get in town.

(I'll take other recommendations just in case I have to go on-line to order
one.)

Thanks, folks, in advance.

Hope you are all having a safe, fun holiday.

Michael N4NMR

RE: Soldering station questions (please, no wars)

Ron D'Eau Claire-2
Michael N4NMR wrote:

I suspect my temp controlled soldering station is going south on me.  In
building my K2, I've noticed that it takes longer to get the solder flowing.

I'll take other recommendations just in case I have to go on-line to order
one.

-----------------------------------
Not knowing the manufacturer makes it tough to suggest ways to 'fix' the
current one.

1- If it is a "fixed temp" tip, try a new tip. A bad thermostat can cause a
tip to run cool. Apparently your tip is heating because you do eventually
melt solder.

2 - If just the soldering tip is replaceable, remove it and make sure it is
clean *inside* where it attaches. Corrosion that builds up at the attachment
point (threads, sleeve, etc.) can really cut down the heat transfer from the
element to the tip.

3 - If you "give up" on it, consider a Hakko 936-ESD. No, you can't get it
today if no one in town sells one, but they are available in two or three
days via web order if you want it shipped priority from various places.

They aren't "better" than Weller, nor is Weller "better" than the Hakko.
After all it's just a soldering station! The magic is in the hands that
wield it, not in the tool itself. I've used both, although I haven't use the
newer Weller stations. When I was last in the market for a new soldering
station, the Hakko price was the best.

I really like the front-panel knob temperature control. I think where a lot
of ops go wrong is using too COOL of an iron. Desoldering braid is nearly
non-functional with a 700F iron. At the least, it's likely you'll lift a
trace by leaving it "cook" too long. Cleaning enameled wire by the "blob"
method also is very poor at 700F, not to mention soldering larger terminals
instead of a board trace. The ability to tweak the knob up to 800F, wait 5
seconds, then go to work is a real advantage of the variable temperature
stations to me.

Ron AC7AC

P.S. We don't do "wars" here.

Re: Soldering station questions (please, no wars)

Kirby Nesbitt
I'm also in the market for a good variable temp station. Where is a good
place to buy on-line?

73.
Kirb,  VE6IV

Flex-Radio SDR-1000
..a pile of K2's inside your PC
-------------

Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

>Michael N4NMR wrote:
>
>I suspect my temp controlled soldering station is going south on me.  In
>building my K2, I've noticed that it takes longer to get the solder flowing.
>
>I'll take other recommendations just in case I have to go on-line to order
>one.
>
>-----------------------------------
>Not knowing the manufacturer makes it tough to suggest ways to 'fix' the
>current one.
>
>1- If it is a "fixed temp" tip, try a new tip. A bad thermostat can cause a
>tip to run cool. Apparently your tip is heating because you do eventually
>melt solder.
>
>2 - If just the soldering tip is replaceable, remove it and make sure it is
>clean *inside* where it attaches. Corrosion that builds up at the attachment
>point (threads, sleeve, etc.) can really cut down the heat transfer from the
>element to the tip.
>
>3 - If you "give up" on it, consider a Hakko 936-ESD. No, you can't get it
>today if no one in town sells one, but they are available in two or three
>days via web order if you want it shipped priority from various places.
>
>They aren't "better" than Weller, nor is Weller "better" than the Hakko.
>After all it's just a soldering station! The magic is in the hands that
>wield it, not in the tool itself. I've used both, although I haven't use the
>newer Weller stations. When I was last in the market for a new soldering
>station, the Hakko price was the best.
>
>I really like the front-panel knob temperature control. I think where a lot
>of ops go wrong is using too COOL of an iron. Desoldering braid is nearly
>non-functional with a 700F iron. At the least, it's likely you'll lift a
>trace by leaving it "cook" too long. Cleaning enameled wire by the "blob"
>method also is very poor at 700F, not to mention soldering larger terminals
>instead of a board trace. The ability to tweak the knob up to 800F, wait 5
>seconds, then go to work is a real advantage of the variable temperature
>stations to me.
>
>Ron AC7AC
>
>P.S. We don't do "wars" here.

>Help: http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
>Elecraft web page: http://www.elecraft.com

RE: Soldering station questions (please, no wars)

Ron D'Eau Claire-2
Kirb, VE6IV asked:

I'm also in the market for a good variable temp station. Where is a good
place to buy on-line?

------------------------

I got my Hakko 936 ESD at T-equipment here:

http://www.tequipment.net/

Here's a direct link to their page showing the Hakko station I have:
http://tinyurl.com/56r3n

After looking at the bewildering array of options on the web site, I called
them on the telephone to discuss their recommendations about tips, etc.
Their telephone rep was very knowledgeable and helpful.

That was my only dealing with them. The name came to me through Tom Hammond,
N0SS, who mentioned them in a post here.

Ron AC7AC