Soliticing Comments on the P3

k0wa@swbell.net

I am very interested in the P3 to add to my K3.  But, I give pause as to the
usefulness of this device.  Although the cool factor is high...I wonder if it
worth the dollars.  Of course in ham radio...dollars are not rare, never come
into consideration, and they grow on trees.

Please, send your comments off list as I am trying to justify my desire to have
one balanced with a logical spend thrift attitude.  Sometimes, I think to much!

Operating is Contests (all modes) and DXing (all modes)

Really, comments would be appreciated.

Lee - K0WA

 In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't
have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't find any
Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.  Is Common
Sense divine?

Common Sense is the image of the Creator expressing revealed truth in my mind.
-  John W. (Kansas)

Never interfere with anything that isn't bothering you.

Re: Soliticing Comments on the P3

Jim Sheldon
Lee, come down to Park City and operate with me in a contest or chasing DX.  I would NOT be without the P3 as I can find the weak signals in amongst the big gun contesters that I swear are running over the legal limit.  With the K3's selectivity, I can even work someone with an S3 signal within a half KHz of K0PY when he's calling CQ and running the Alpha 9500 full bore.  (He only lives a couple blocks from me).  The P3 enables me to see that weak signal.  Also, when a DX station is working split, I can see where the pileup is without having to hunt for it.  It's pretty easy to find the last station the DX worked, put the VFO B cursor right on that frequency and unless propagation is really bad, it normally never takes more than a couple calls to bag 'em.

The P3 is one of those items that you can do without unless you've ever used one.  After that the priorities change drastically.

Jim - W0EB

> I am very interested in the P3 to add to my K3.  But, I give pause
> as to the
> usefulness of this device.  Although the cool factor is high...I
> wonder if it
> worth the dollars.  Of course in ham radio...dollars are not rare,
> never come
> into consideration, and they grow on trees.
>
> Please, send your comments off list as I am trying to justify my
> desire to have
> one balanced with a logical spend thrift attitude.  Sometimes, I
> think to much!
>
> Operating is Contests (all modes) and DXing (all modes)
>
> Really, comments would be appreciated.
>
> Lee - K0WA
>

> In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.
> If you don't
> have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you
> can't find any
> Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.
> Is Common
> Sense divine?
>
> Common Sense is the image of the Creator expressing revealed truth
> in my mind.
> -  John W. (Kansas)
>
> Never interfere with anything that isn't bothering you.

Re: Soliticing Comments on the P3

Jim Brown-10
On 3/19/2012 9:12 AM, Lee Buller wrote:
> Operating is Contests (all modes) and DXing (all modes)

I have two P3s in my SO2R setup, and they are VERY USEFUL for both
contesting and DX chasing.  Two other very important uses are
recognizing and chasing down RF noise and sidebands and clicks from
trashy stations. There's a piece (by VE1RGB, if I recall correctly)
about using the P3 in a recent National Contest Journal.

73, Jim K9YC