Some Basic K2 Opinions and Information

Paul Huff-3
Hello everyone,

I'm considering the purchase of a K2 and would appreciate any information and/or
opinions that you might have.  I'm strictly a QRP guy so I'm not interested in
the 100-watt version.  I would probably want the internal tuner.  I don't work
SSB, but PSK is of some interest to me so I'm thinking about the KSB2 option.
Other than that, since money is definitely an important consideration, I would
be very interested in opinions about the KIO2 RS232 interface - would it help
with PSK?  I would also like opinions on the KAF2 filter vs. the KDSP2 DSP
filter.  My current rig is a K1 so just about anything would be "gravy" to me -
I'm not comparing the K2 to some Rolls Royce kind of rig.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer.

73,
Paul - N8XMS

RE: Some Basic K2 Opinions and Information

daleputnam
HI Paul,
  I enjoy my K2, with about all that you are looking at, the noise blanker does its job very nicely on
ignition noise, and an electric fence, that my horses insist on messing with. The rs232 interface hasn't been used
here yet. The  DSP filter is a good addition, especially in the crowded conditions of cw at times... especially for continueing the chat, when someone moves in a bit too close, because they don't hear as well. And the hearing as well is an outstanding feature. I find myself cuddled up to a QRO station, and not even know he is that close, until the other station says something.. then I open the rx up a bit, and there he is.. especially when I do a side by side with other rx, it becomes very very obvious, the filter skirts are better and the shape of the bandpass is better than other rx, until you get way up into the drool region.... and that would be right up there with the K3.
  The one other thing that is a key point... very key.. is that Wayne and Eric, and the rest of the Elecraft crew, are very responsive to requests, and the expanse of excellant information, very helpful with all the assistance that is so missing from other brands... is right here.
  Jump in, enjoy, and get the best.

--... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

Windows Live Hotmail now works up to 70% faster. Sign up today.

Re: Some Basic K2 Opinions and Information

Julian, G4ILO

Paul Huff-3 wrote
Hello everyone,

I'm considering the purchase of a K2 and would appreciate any information and/or
opinions that you might have.  I'm strictly a QRP guy so I'm not interested in
the 100-watt version.  I would probably want the internal tuner.  I don't work
SSB, but PSK is of some interest to me so I'm thinking about the KSB2 option.
Other than that, since money is definitely an important consideration, I would
be very interested in opinions about the KIO2 RS232 interface - would it help
with PSK?  I would also like opinions on the KAF2 filter vs. the KDSP2 DSP
filter.  My current rig is a K1 so just about anything would be "gravy" to me -
I'm not comparing the K2 to some Rolls Royce kind of rig.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer.
I found the KIO2 useful for PSK as I'm a great believer in using narrow filters to get the best reception of weak signals and the software I used allowed me to center a signal in the passband and select narrow filters using a click of the mouse. Since I used MixW logging software I had these features available in CW too.

I never felt the need for the KDSP2 and only had the KAF2 which was all that was available when I built my K2 in any case. To be honest I never used it that much and found the 4 choices of filter bandwidths the K2 offers per mode to be more than adequate.
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222 KX3 #110
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html
* KTune - http://www.g4ilo.com/ktune.html

RE: Some Basic K2 Opinions and Information

Logan Zintsmaster
I built my K2 several years ago (#1609) and have been very pleased with it.
I do digital modes, PSK & RTTY, almost exclusively and I would recommend the
following

        1.  KIO2 - Highly recommended - this provides computer control of
the K2 and integrates your K2 with the software. "Wouldn't leave home
without it."

        2.  KAT2 - Highly recommended if you are not going to have a "tuned"
antenna.  I use random wires because of antenna restrictions and have good
luck getting a match.

        3.  KAF2  -  I have the KAF2 and do not use it much.  I'd really
like to see the center freq around 1000 Hz for digital modes which can be
done with some component changes.  This mod is still on the "to do" list so
that gives you an indication of how much I use it.  I'd wait and add this
later (it's easy to do).  Helps with the cash flow, as well.

        4.  KDSP2  - Don't have one so I can't offer any help.

        5.  KNB2 - The noise blanker is of marginal use in my rf
"environment"  Others have found it very useful because they had specific
kinds of pulse noise to deal with.  If you get one you need to keep the RF
gain up so that there is enough signal to trigger the blanking.

Remember, most of these modules can be added after you build the K2.  When I
built mine, I checked the manuals for the modules to see what modifications
were necessary to install them.  Any parts that needed to be removed, later,
I installed with extra lead length so they would be easier to take out, when
the time came.

When I built my K2, I got a PWB holder and found it very handy.  There are a
lot of parts to stuff and solder.  Not having to juggle the PWB at the same
time made it that much easier.

Good luck and enjoy the building.
Logan, KZ6O

Re: Some Basic K2 Opinions and Information

Bill Coleman-2

On Nov 8, 2008, at 11:11 AM, Paul Huff wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm considering the purchase of a K2 and would appreciate any
> information and/or opinions that you might have.  I'm strictly a QRP
> guy so I'm not interested in the 100-watt version.  I would probably
> want the internal tuner.  I don't work SSB, but PSK is of some
> interest to me so I'm thinking about the KSB2 option. Other than
> that, since money is definitely an important consideration, I would
> be very interested in opinions about the KIO2 RS232 interface -
> would it help with PSK?  I would also like opinions on the KAF2
> filter vs. the KDSP2 DSP filter.

Sorry to reply to such an old message.

If you want to work PSK, you'll need the KSB2 for sure.

For working PSK, if your PSK software wants to do any computer
control, or if you want to do computer controlled logging for casual
or contest operation, you'll want the KIO2 (or the KPA100 -- it has
the same interface built-in).

I've owned both the KAF2 and the KDSP2. I didn't find the KAF2 that
useful, except for the reduced hiss in the audio from the low-pass
filter. The KDSP2, on the other hand, is marvelous. If you work any
SSB, the auto-notch is great (I leave it on all the time). The noise
reduction is sometimes useful on SSB and CW.

If you want to do some real weak-signal RTTY or PSK, or you need
narrower filtering on SSB, the KDSP2 filtering options are great as
well -- although you will have to do some tuning. If you are just
picking out signals from the waterfall display on your PSK software,
it may not as appealing.

I would recommend the KDSP2 -- it really adds a lot of value to the
K2. I would not buy a KAF2 again if I did not have the KDSP2. I'd
homebrew a small low-pass filter in the audio chain instead.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: [hidden email]
Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901