Still lacking

AA1QG
As a portable user of the K2 and Vertex 1210, I was thrilled to hear about the new KX3.

After reading the preliminary specs however, I think I´ll stick to my existing radios. Why?

- 10 W is insufficient power for portable SSB operation on the lower bands, at least in Europe. 20-25 W as the 1210 has is still low, but acceptable in terms of balancing power with current consumption.

- My old 1210 has built in Lithium batteries which are light, high capacity and fast charging. Why not in the KX3??

AA1QG/LB7FA

Re: Still lacking

wayne burdick
Administrator
Hi Terje,

The KX3 is a completely different radio from the Vertex 1210. It is
much smaller, lighter, and has far less current drain. It can even be
used hand-held. There's simply no room for a 20-W PA and/or a large
battery.

The 1210 is a channelized "man pack" radio, which definitely has its
advantages for certain operating situations.

However, the 1210 is about 4 times larger than the KX3 by volume, and
about 5 times heavier. It draws about 3 times as much current when
receive is active (it draws less in "Saver" mode, but this is with the
receiver squelched, periodically looking for channel activity).

Despite the KX3's much smaller size/weight/current drain, it has
several major advantages over the 1210 as a general-purpose ham
transceiver: 6 meter coverage (and possibly 2 m, 4 m, or other bands),
FM and data modes, large display, large VFO knob, controls for many
more functions, optional attached keyer paddle, and optional narrow
roofing filters for high dynamic range. Of course there's also the
external 100-W PA.

The KX3's current drain is low enough that it can function well with
an extremely light battery pack (8 AA cells, internally, or your
choice of external batteries). We went with AA cells because of their
flexibility and ubiquity. You can always borrow some from other
electronic devices in a pinch. You can power the radio for 5-10 hours
of typical transceive operation or 16 hours receive-only from a set of
nonrechargeable lithium camera batteries. Or you can use NiMH, with
the internal charger keeping them ready to go.

So it's really an apples/oranges comparison, in my heavily-biased
opinion  :)

73,
Wayne
N6KR

> As a portable user of the K2 and Vertex 1210, I was thrilled to hear
> about
> the new KX3.
>
> After reading the preliminary specs however, I think I´ll stick to my
> existing radios. Why?
>
> - 10 W is insufficient power for portable SSB operation on the lower
> bands,
> at least in Europe. 20-25 W as the 1210 has is still low, but
> acceptable in
> terms of balancing power with current consumption.
>
> - My old 1210 has built in Lithium batteries which are light, high
> capacity
> and fast charging. Why not in the KX3??
>
> AA1QG/LB7FA

Re: Still lacking

Dave KK7SS
Wayne, biased??
Naah! never! <G>

--
Dave G  KK7SS
DN06ig   Richland, WA

'59 Morris Minor 1000
'65 Sprite - in process
'76 Midget - shared with my #4 son.
'06 Honda Civic Hybrid

Re: Still lacking

AA1QG
Ok, you win, I´ll order a KX3 when it arrives!

I have quite a few 5-10w portable radios gathering dust unless I plan to operate CW. My trusty K2 has the 100W PA, which I usually run at 25-50 watts using a 14AH battery and an K1 tuner (which tackles 50W well in spite of being rated lower). The power difference is not impressive in terms of db, but when operating SSB on 60m and below having a bit more power output often is the difference between having a QSO and having a frustrated operator at both ends.

Please consider a KX3 Heavy Duty version, with a lithium battery and higher power output  (25W) in a bigger box. There really is gaping hole in the market for such a rig, since most rigs either are too puny in terms of power or battery capacity (i.e. FT-817) or too battery thirsty (FT-897 for example). I would buy one or two on the spot, and I know a lot of hams who for various reasons have to operate portable - typically having residential noise problems or antenna restrictions -  likely will buy one as well.

73´s

Terje

Den 30. mai 2011 kl. 19.47 skrev wayne burdick [via Elecraft]:

Hi Terje,

The KX3 is a completely different radio from the Vertex 1210. It is
much smaller, lighter, and has far less current drain. It can even be
used hand-held. There's simply no room for a 20-W PA and/or a large
battery.

The 1210 is a channelized "man pack" radio, which definitely has its
advantages for certain operating situations.

However, the 1210 is about 4 times larger than the KX3 by volume, and
about 5 times heavier. It draws about 3 times as much current when
receive is active (it draws less in "Saver" mode, but this is with the
receiver squelched, periodically looking for channel activity).

Despite the KX3's much smaller size/weight/current drain, it has
several major advantages over the 1210 as a general-purpose ham
transceiver: 6 meter coverage (and possibly 2 m, 4 m, or other bands),
FM and data modes, large display, large VFO knob, controls for many
more functions, optional attached keyer paddle, and optional narrow
roofing filters for high dynamic range. Of course there's also the
external 100-W PA.

The KX3's current drain is low enough that it can function well with
an extremely light battery pack (8 AA cells, internally, or your
choice of external batteries). We went with AA cells because of their
flexibility and ubiquity. You can always borrow some from other
electronic devices in a pinch. You can power the radio for 5-10 hours
of typical transceive operation or 16 hours receive-only from a set of
nonrechargeable lithium camera batteries. Or you can use NiMH, with
the internal charger keeping them ready to go.

So it's really an apples/oranges comparison, in my heavily-biased
opinion  :)

73,
Wayne
N6KR

> As a portable user of the K2 and Vertex 1210, I was thrilled to hear
> about
> the new KX3.
>
> After reading the preliminary specs however, I think I´ll stick to my
> existing radios. Why?
>
> - 10 W is insufficient power for portable SSB operation on the lower
> bands,
> at least in Europe. 20-25 W as the 1210 has is still low, but
> acceptable in
> terms of balancing power with current consumption.
>
> - My old 1210 has built in Lithium batteries which are light, high
> capacity
> and fast charging. Why not in the KX3??
>
> AA1QG/LB7FA
Post: mailto:<a href="x-msg://195/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=6420027&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">[hidden email]

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/Still-lacking-tp6419804p6420027.html
To unsubscribe from Still lacking, click here.

Mel

Re: Still lacking

Mel
Not only the referenced uses, I have a boat and it would be a real treat to have
one on it.  Right now, I have the FT-817 and while it does a really good job,
these old fingers have trouble with the "small" controls.

Mel, K6KBE

________________________________
> [...]

> N6KR
>

> > As a portable user of the K2 and Vertex 1210, I was thrilled to hear
> > about
> > the new KX3.
> >
> > After reading the preliminary specs however, I think I´ll stick to my
> > existing radios. Why?
> >
> > - 10 W is insufficient power for portable SSB operation on the lower
> > bands,
> > at least in Europe. 20-25 W as the 1210 has is still low, but
> > acceptable in
> > terms of balancing power with current consumption.
> >
> > - My old 1210 has built in Lithium batteries which are light, high
> > capacity
> > and fast charging. Why not in the KX3??
> >
> > AA1QG/LB7FA

below:
> http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/Still-lacking-tp6419804p6420027.html
> To unsubscribe from Still lacking, click here.

Grant Youngman
K2, K3???  WTF.

Sent from my iPhone
.

> Please consider a KX3 Heavy Duty version, with a lithium battery and higher power output  (25W) in a bigger box.

Re: Still lacking

KK7P
Note that the KX3 will have an effective SSB
clipper/compressor/processor to give an average of at least 6 dB of
"talk power" without significant impairment of the speech quality,
making 10W seem like 25 or more to the receiving station.

73,

Lyle KK7P

> Please consider a KX3 Heavy Duty version, with a lithium battery and higher power output  (25W) in a bigger box. There really is gaping hole in the market for such a rig, since most rigs either are too puny in terms of power or battery capacity (i.e. FT-817) or too battery thirsty (FT-897 for example)...

Still lacking

Hall, Nathon
I'm so excited about the KX3! Finally, there's a successor to my beloved
IC-703.

AA1QG makes a very good point about SSB. The KX3 is clearly targeted
squarely at CW and PSK operators. I seldom have any problems being heard
with 10W when operating CW; even managing to break through DX pileups
with a little patience. On the other hand, SSB is difficult - even
discouraging - with 10W.

I disagree with AA1QG's request for LiPo batteries in the KX3. LiPo
battery technology isn't very 'trail-friendly' in my experience. I can
always charge lead-acid and NiMh from my folding solar array when
camping, but LiPo charge regulators do not like the varying nature of
solar energy. The internal AA option is the right way to go with the
KX3.

There's an option that hasn't been discussed that would leverage the KX3
beyond the excellent Vertex 1210: A bolt-on 25W amplifier/atu/battery
container. The whole works could fit inside a waterproof,
shock-resistant Pelican-style case that would flip open to reveal the
KX3 as the 'control head' of the entire system. Such a configuration
would be unbeatable for EMCOMM and other tactical communications.

It wouldn't have to be produced by Elecraft, but it would certainly be
nice :-)

Nathon Hall
VE7ETS

****

AA1QG/LB7FA commented:

- 10 W is insufficient power for portable SSB operation ... [snip]

- ... Why not [lithium batteries] in the KX3??

*****

Re: Still lacking

Edward R Cole
As an alternative, might you consider a small amplifier?  TAPR is
offering a 20w HF/6m amplifier called the "Pennywhistle".
http://www.tapr.org/kits_pw.html
drives with 1/4w and runs on 12vdc.

$77+S&H for non-members of TAPR

73, Ed - KL7UW

------------------------------

Message: 20
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 13:07:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: AA1QG <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]

[...]

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45

Re: Still lacking

Ignacy
Lyle hit it head on. All QRP radios that really need punch lack don't have RF speech processor or an equalizer. With speech processor, KX3 can sound like a 4 times stronger radio. With poor mic that Kx3 can equalize, even more than that. My guestimate 10W of KX3 may approach readability of IC-7000 with stock mic.

KX3 may be the most efficient QRP SSB radio ever produced.

If I have one question is why won't it have Li-Ion batteries. Either 3 Li-Ion (12.6 V max) or 4 LIFEPO of 15.2V max. Perhaps it is due to safety or liability. I use Li-Ion in K3, and it is much lighter with higher peak current.

Ignacy, currently OZ/NO9E/p

<quote author="KK7P">
Note that the KX3 will have an effective SSB
clipper/compressor/processor to give an average of at least 6 dB of
"talk power" without significant impairment of the speech quality,
making 10W seem like 25 or more to the receiving station.

73,

Lyle KK7P

Re: Still lacking

Buddy Brannan
My guess about the batteries is ease of field replacement, ability to use standard AA cells instead of rechargeable if needed, and number of discharge cycles. Li-ion batteries only have about 500 charge/discharge cycles. Anyway, while LiPo or Li-Ion batteries may be lighter weight, I'm supposing the Elecraft guys thought the ability to use readily available replacements was worth the tradeoff.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY

On Jun 1, 2011, at 8:58 AM, Ignacy wrote:

> Lyle hit it head on. All QRP radios that really need punch lack don't have RF
> speech processor or an equalizer. With speech processor, KX3 can sound like
> a 4 times stronger radio. With poor mic that Kx3 can equalize, even more
> than that. My guestimate 10W of KX3 may approach readability of IC-7000 with
> stock mic.
>
> KX3 may be the most efficient QRP SSB radio ever produced.
>
> If I have one question is why won't it have Li-Ion batteries. Either 3
> Li-Ion (12.6 V max) or 4 LIFEPO of 15.2V max. Perhaps it is due to safety or
> liability. I use Li-Ion in K3, and it is much lighter with higher peak
> current.
>
> Ignacy, currently OZ/NO9E/p
>

> Note that the KX3 will have an effective SSB
> clipper/compressor/processor to give an average of at least 6 dB of
> "talk power" without significant impairment of the speech quality,
> making 10W seem like 25 or more to the receiving station.
>
> 73,
>
> Lyle KK7P

Re: Still lacking

W5CEM
Must disagree with the limits of 10w on SSB!  I have never mastered CW, thus 90% of my operating, which is ALL QRP is on fone.  Yea, maybe there are times a bit more power could help, but the speech processor should take care of that.  More like after all the effort and calling, and waiting, etc, when I do complete a tough SSB QSO if feels SO GOOD!!!  Took a few extra calls, but worked VP5DX on four bands on fone, with 8 watts on my very mini G5RV in the attic of my condo.

Kinda like waiting for the ice cream truck...wait, wait, drool, hear the goofy music, wait in line, but then oh the JOY!!!!

MTCW.....

cleve/W5CEM

Re: Still lacking

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
I'd suggest LiFePO4 batteries, as they can source the current necessary for the transmitter easily, and are safer in operation than Lithium Polymer.  They can be safely charged on a portable solar panel if you disconnect once the voltage reaches 14.4v, and that's pretty much what the SLA charge controllers do as well.  The 2.4 AH packs charge at about 1.5 Amps, so it's hard to bring too big a panel!

Leigh/WA5ZNU

Still lacking

Jack Chomley

> Consider that IF you are taking  your station on commercial aircraft, in some countries the carriage of LiPo batteries is very restricted, particularly if the pack is not enclosed within the device they power.
> I carry a VRSLA battery that is approved and so marked to meet the IATA A67
> standard, Qantas in Australia also require an application for permit to carry the above
> battery, along with the relevant MSDS, permit is good for 3 months travel in the passengers name.  The battery and permit, with MSDS must be declared at checkin.
> I did not want to even think about trying to get approval for a LiPo battery pack, the VRSLA one was bad enough :-)
>

> 73,
>
> Jack. VK4JRC
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 02/06/2011, at 9:53 AM, "Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I'd suggest LiFePO4 batteries, as they can source the current necessary for
>> the transmitter easily, and are safer in operation than Lithium Polymer.
>> They can be safely charged on a portable solar panel if you disconnect once
>> the voltage reaches 14.4v, and that's pretty much what the SLA charge
>> controllers do as well.  The 2.4 AH packs charge at about 1.5 Amps, so it's
>> hard to bring too big a panel!
>>
>> Leigh/WA5ZNU
>>
>> --
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Still lacking

K7TV
Ummm. correct me if I am wrong, but it looks to me as if Leigh is referring
to Lithium Ferro Phosphate batteries (also known as Lithium Iron Phosphate),
while Jack is thinking Lithium Polymer. Not at all the same thing. If I
remember correctly, Lithium Polymer was involved in some published incidents
of batteries in cellphones or laptops catching fire. I believe the Lithium
Ferro Phosphate variety is a lot safer, although not safe under all
conditions. Probably both varieties will last a lot longer if balanced
charging is used, meaning that the charger monitors and charges each cell
individually (at the same time) depending on how empty it is found to be. I
have had a LiFePO4 battery sold by Buddipole for about a year, and I am very
impressed. The charger is a box about 4.3 x 3.6 x 1.0 inches which weighs
about 7.6 oz. It has a 3 ft cable with APP for 12 VDC input power, and a
small multipole connector for output. The battery pack has a short output
cable with APP and a short multipole input cable that plugs into the
charger. The charger is small and light enough to be carried easily into the
field. The battery can provide very high output current for a short time, I
believe enough to power a 100 W transmitter briefly. The charger provides
balanced charging for LiFePO4 batteries but can also handle a wide variety
of other battery types. The smart charger uses 10 to 16 VDC, and the input
voltage doesn't need to exceed the voltage of the battery being charged.

73,

Erik K7TV

wrote:

>> I'd suggest LiFePO4 batteries, as they can source the current

>> necessary for the transmitter easily, and are safer in operation than
Lithium Polymer.

>> They can be safely charged on a portable solar panel if you

>> disconnect once the voltage reaches 14.4v, and that's pretty much

>> what the SLA charge controllers do as well.  The 2.4 AH packs charge

>> at about 1.5 Amps, so it's hard to bring too big a panel!

>> Leigh/WA5ZNU

Re: Still lacking

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
Administrator
K7TV wrote
The battery can provide very high output current for a short time, I
believe enough to power a 100 W transmitter briefly.
Yes, LiFePO4 has a high power density but not as high energy density as LiPoly or the typical Li-Ion (laptop) batteries.  It was chosen for the One Laptop per Child project, for example.

The chemistry has a very flat discharge curve, and sources high current or low current, and retains its efficiency.  For SLA, the capacity is rated at a discharge rate of 1/20 C, so a 7AH SLA battery will give you 1A for 7 hours, but any transmit at 20A would be well beyond its capacity.  A 20AH SLA would give you 1A for 20 hours, and could give you 20A briefly, but not for 1 hour.

But an 8AH LiFePO4 will have no trouble giving you 20A for 20-25 minutes solid key down.  With SSB 40% modulation at 100W and transmitting 1 minute out of 4, that gives you 10% duty cycle, and because of the excellent properties of LiFePO4 you'd get a a couple of hours of operating time easily, especially with the low RX current draw of the KX3.

Couple the LiFePO4 with a solar panel that can cover the receive current (about $50) and you extend your QRV to pretty much all day with an 8AH pack or a couple of 4AH packs.

Leigh/WA5ZNU

Still lacking

K7TV
The particular brand of Lithium Ferro Phosphate battery that I got has the
brand name A123. That company talks about "nanophosphate" which presumably
means that some kind of nanotechnology is used, which may lead to higher
load current capacity. In any case, the Buddipole website and the
specification sheet show discharge curves for up to 40 A loads, and I
believe that refers to a single 3.3 V cell of 2.3 AH capacity. The output
voltage is a little lower at those high load currents; the flat portion of
the curve is at about 2.8 V when the load is 30A. Maximum continuous
discharge current is specified as 70 A. Life is specified as 1000 cycles at
10C. As many as 7000 cycles are said to be possible when the load is 1C.

73,

Erik K7TV

[...]

Edward KL7UW wrote
As an alternative, might you consider a small amplifier?  TAPR is
offering a 20w HF/6m amplifier called the "Pennywhistle".
http://www.tapr.org/kits_pw.html
drives with 1/4w and runs on 12vdc.
An external amp in a clamp-on case that fits on the bottom might be a good compromise.
However, the Pennywhistle isn't enough. You also need their Transmit Bandpass filters (http://www.tapr.org/kits_alex.html) or perhaps K5OOR's http://site.hfprojectsyahoo.com/low_pass_filters
So a box with the amp, the filters, and the battery starts to get a little bulky, not to mention an ATU.

You can avoid the ATU if you can figure out how to tap into the KX3 ATU input.  I suspect if there's enough clamor it could be made to work at 3dB more input than it's used to.

Leigh/WA5ZNU

Re: Still lacking

wayne burdick
Administrator
Sorry, guys, the KX3's internal ATU isn't going to be accessible for
patching through an external amp. It will safely handle 12 W (max KX3
power on most bands), but 20 W is pushing it.

I routinely work the world with 10 W SSB and marginal antennas, hence
the KX3's 10-W nominal power-output target :)

Back to the salt mine....

73,
Wayne
N6KR