Still lacking

Edward R Cole
See my earlier post about the "Pennywhistle" amp.

You want custom-made package in Pelican Case?  I used to make emcomm
radio packages in my work.  This included frequency agile portable
VHF repeaters with battery/solar power, portable command radio
dispatch systems, GPS tracking systems (primarily ocean-going).
http://www.kl7uw.com/Case%20open.jpg

If folks want it?  I can build it.

73, Ed - KL7UW

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 10:47:52 -0600
From: "Hall, Nathon" <[hidden email]>
Subject: [Elecraft]  Still lacking
To: <[hidden email]>

I'm so excited about the KX3! Finally, there's a successor to my beloved
IC-703.

AA1QG makes a very good point about SSB. The KX3 is clearly targeted
squarely at CW and PSK operators. I seldom have any problems being heard
with 10W when operating CW; even managing to break through DX pileups
with a little patience. On the other hand, SSB is difficult - even
discouraging - with 10W.

I disagree with AA1QG's request for LiPo batteries in the KX3. LiPo
battery technology isn't very 'trail-friendly' in my experience. I can
always charge lead-acid and NiMh from my folding solar array when
camping, but LiPo charge regulators do not like the varying nature of
solar energy. The internal AA option is the right way to go with the
KX3.

There's an option that hasn't been discussed that would leverage the KX3
beyond the excellent Vertex 1210: A bolt-on 25W amplifier/atu/battery
container. The whole works could fit inside a waterproof,
shock-resistant Pelican-style case that would flip open to reveal the
KX3 as the 'control head' of the entire system. Such a configuration
would be unbeatable for EMCOMM and other tactical communications.

It wouldn't have to be produced by Elecraft, but it would certainly be
nice :-)

Nathon Hall
VE7ETS

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45