Strange Behavior of K2 462 on PSK31

Charles Greene

Hi,

I have some strange behavior of K2 462 on PSK31.  I set the power level at
15 watts and advance the drive through a combination potentiometer and the
sound card output until I get 5 watts output.  The interface is homebrew
per QST May 99.  The ALC is not functioning.  Using r or r rev mode on the
k2, bandwidth F1.  Using either a dummy load or an antenna.  When going to
transmit, the power level first goes to 2 watts output and increases slowly
to 5 or 6 watts; it takes 20 seconds +/- to get there.  At that point the
ALC light on the display (display indicating ALC) lights.  The power level
oscillates from 5 to 6 watts for 2 seconds then drops quickly to 1/2 watt
and within 1 sec comes up to 2 watts.  Then the cycle repeats
itself.  Second computer it has done so on.  I hooked up a VOM and measured
the sound card output; it is steady.  SSBA set on 1,  SSBC set on
1-1.  K2/100 3571, same settings as 462 except the power is 9, its output
is a steady 1.7 watts; set power on 110 watts, its output is a steady 22
watts.  All power levels are average.  PSK31 is sending the idle characters.

Any ideas?

73,  Chas  W1CG