Strange Occurences

Roy Morris-6
On occasion I have had my K2/100 turned on and just listen for a while and everything is normal.  Then when I touch the K2 the audio goes dead.  The only way to get the audio back is to turn the K2 off and back on.  I wonder if this is a sign of a weak AF amp U9 LM380N-8 that is susceptible to static discharge.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  Roy Morris  W4WFB
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

Re: Strange Occurences

wayne burdick
Administrator
Morris,

An LM380N-8 is a darn rugged part, so I'd look elsewhere. Next time
this happens, I'd suggest opening up the case and taking some DC
voltage readings to help isolate the problem. If just touching the case
causes it, the likely culprit is a loose connection, possibly
associated with a CMOS control line or the gate of a JFET.

Also make sure you don't have squelch turned on (in the secondary menu).

I'm sure Gary would have additional suggestions.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Mar 15, 2005, at 8:44 PM, Roy Morris wrote:

> On occasion I have had my K2/100 turned on and just listen for a while
> and everything is normal.  Then when I touch the K2 the audio goes
> dead.  The only way to get the audio back is to turn the K2 off and
> back on.  I wonder if this is a sign of a weak AF amp U9 LM380N-8 that
> is susceptible to static discharge.  Is anyone else experiencing this?
>  Roy Morris  W4WFBNo virus found in this outgoing message.
> Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

---

http://www.elecraft.com

Re: Strange Occurences

G3VVT

[hidden email] writes:

On  occasion I have had my K2/100 turned on and just listen for a while and
everything is normal.  Then when I touch the K2 the audio goes  dead.

Check the speaker jack socket on the rear panel as the switch on this can
give a similar problem. There have been also been a similar fault reported
during the last year of failure of the speaker switch in the headphone  socket.

Check the simple things first!

Bob, G3VVT
K2 #4168