Stripping Toroid Leads - My experience

Ben Hofmann K1NT
I just finished all the receiver circuit toroids in my K2 over the last couple of weeks, and I wanted to share my experiences concerning stripping the toroid leads for those of you who may want to know.

I read several threads in the elecraft list archive on this, and I combined several techniques, the final result of which worked very well for me.

Set soldering station to 800 deg F.

Arrange toroid wire so it is coming off the side of the toroid while stripping (instead of off the bottom.)

Scrape insulation off toroid wire far enough away from the toroid so that when it's finally mounted to the pc board and trimmed, the scraped section gets cut off and discarded (removing this insulation helps the heat get to the wire, so the insulation comes off faster.)

**Keep adding solder to the blob on the iron as you're running the wire through it (the extra flux helps remove the insulation too.)

**Clean the residual flux residue/solder off the iron regularly, and reapply clean solder.

When the insulation is stripped completely from a lead, apply fresh solder to the end closest to the toroid, and draw it across the iron quickly to the other end of where you've stripped.  This will get it tinned well, and helps avoid bulges of solder on the lead once it's finished.

The steps I marked with the ** are ones I have not seen others mention on the reflector as of yet.

Hope this helps someone out.

-Ben  KB1AHR