[T1] T1 tuner auto-tune sensitivity?

WD6DBM
Dear Gang:

Has anyone used a T1 with a RockMite?  My T1 will not detect and autotune with
either of two RockMites I have tried it with.  Are there any mods that would
increase the T1 autotune sensitivity?  The RockMites put out about .5 watts, so
I am thinking I only need to increase the sensitivity by .1 watt or so.  I'd
gladly give up some high-power capability since I never use the T1 above 5 or 10
watts.

Thanks and 73,

Eric WD6DBM

Re: [T1] T1 tuner auto-tune sensitivity?

Don Wilhelm-4
  Eric,

The specified minimum power required for tuning is 0.5 watts.

Since you seem to be willing to experiment a bit, and given the fact
that the combination of R3 and R5 look similar the the Forward power
potentiometer in other Elecraft wattmeters, I would try increasing R5 to
150 k and reducing R3 to 10 k.

BIG CAUTION:  I have no idea whether this will actually do what you want
(there may be other factors involved), but I would rate it as "worth a
first pass try".  Be sure you have 120 k and 33 k resistors on hand so
you can restore the original values if it proves to be unsuccessful.

The other alternative is to use an amplifier between the Rockmite and
the T1 for tuning and then switch it out for QRPp operation with the
barefoot Rockmite.  I have run across several 2 to 5 watt amplifier
designs that should work quite well for this purpose (but I forget the
specifics right now) - check EMRFD as one resource for those amplifiers.