T1: can I switch into TUNE with the K2's tune button?

T1: can I switch into TUNE with the K2's tune button?

oe9fwv
I have built the T1, and find it an amazing instrument. I would like to
use it also with the K2, which in my case has no QRP tuner built in,
because there is no room left, I decided to build the SCS Ptc-2 into the
rig instead of the battery and tuner.
I would like to switch the T1 into tune mode without using the Tune button
of the T1, but instead use the Tune button of the K2.
Is this possible somehow? I think there is the possiblity to switch the T1
to Tune with the remote jack. But how do I get the appropriate signal out
of the K2?

TIA ,

73! de Werner OE9FWV

Email powered by Pegasus Mail free at <http://www.pmail.com>
Homepage: <http://www.qsl.net/oe9fwv/>
Fone +43 5522 75013
Fax +43 5522 22505
Mobile +43 664 63 400 14
Elecraft K2 #5203 K3 #656

Re: T1: can I switch into TUNE with the K2's tune button?

Don Wilhelm-4
Werner,

I do not know of any way to accomplish what you desire. There is no way
to have a depression of the TUNE button on the K3 to initiate any
external action - it simply outputs RF at the requested power level
(unless the KAT2 or KAT100 is installed, then the action changes).

To do as you have asked, one would need to modify the K2 to detect a
hold of the TUNE button and make a contact closure external to the K2.
I guess one could wire an extra set of leads to the switch itself and
sort out the TAP/Hold situation external to the K2, but that would
involve adding a microprocessor dedicated to that task as well as
running the switch contact wires to the outside of the K2.  Not a
trivial modification.

It would be easier to mount a KAT2 external to the K2 (create your own
enclosure), and the operation would be 'automatic' since the KAT2 does
contain the microprocessor that will do the tuning at reduced power
levels.  A KAT2 could be connected to the KIO2 AUX I/O connector in much
the same manner as the KAT100 connects (or use the KAT100 which comes
with its own enclosure).