Tech Writing

Re: Tech Writing

Edward R Cole
It helps.  But if you are instructing someone it helps if it is non-fiction!

------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 11:09:15 -0700
From: Jim Brown <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Tech Writing
To: [hidden email]

On 6/29/2011 8:23 AM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:
 > The best writing always comes from personal experience

Yes, and MOST IMPORTANT -- any good writing must TELL A STORY in
language that the reader understands.  If it doesn't do that, it won't
be effective.

73, Jim K9YC

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45

Re: Tech Writing

Al Gulseth-2
Dave,

The reason they told you to write for a Grade 7 educational level was probably
because they heard about some of the students my dad dealt with when he was a
junior level radio instructor in the Coast Guard in WWII. From his
description it sounded like he was teaching a basic "shop" (tool usage) class
at the time.

Being a Minnesota farm boy, dad assumed that everybody knew what screwdrivers,
pliers, etc. were and initially started out apologizing for having to go
through all the "basics.". However, he quickly found out that a lot of
the "city boys" had no idea which end of a screwdriver to hold.

One incident he particularly liked to chuckle about was a fellow who was
having difficulty cutting a piece of metal with a hacksaw. The fellow was
giving the saw a workout ("had the blade red hot") but wasn't getting
anywhere. The fellow was amazed at how much better the saw worked when the
blade was flipped over so the teeth were pointing down into the work instead
of up (yep, he had the blade _upside down_)....

73, Al

On Wed June 29 2011 11:33:57 pm Dave KK7SS wrote:

> An Operations Manual group I wrote for a US Army Project was rejected with
> instructions that it was to be written to a Grade 7 education level!
> Including pictures, for example, of which way to turn a screwdriver to
> remove or insert a screw - and which end to use!
>
> I kid you not!
>
> --
> Dave G  KK7SS
>  Richland, WA

Re: Tech Writing

Phil Kane-2
On 6/30/2011 5:56 PM, Al Gulseth wrote:

> Being a Minnesota farm boy, dad assumed that everybody knew what
> screwdrivers, pliers, etc. were and initially started out
> apologizing for having to go through all the "basics.". However,
> he quickly found out that a lot of the "city boys" had no idea
> which end of a screwdriver to hold.

  My dad was a "city boy", an accountant, yet in the hall coat
  closet he had a toolbox with hand tools.  I, too, am a "city
  boy" and I learned to use them all before I was 12 years old.
  All of my friends did too.  My son is a "city boy" and was a
  first class bicycle mechanic by that age.

  Different pokes for different strokes.

--  73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
    Elecraft K2/100   s/n 5402

Re: Tech Writing

  Al,

I believe the Grade 7 educational level is "standard" for tech writing.
I recall that when I was at IBM evaluating tech documents, that was the
level they were written for.  It seems as though a technician educated
in his field is not expected to be able to comprehend the English
language beyond the 7th grade level.  Doesn't that speak wonders for the
goals of our education system!!

In my engineering career, I have struggled with engineering graduates
who could not even form a sentence with proper capitalization and
punctuation and spacing (two spaces after a period, etc.).

I recall a grumpy old college professor from my engineering curriculum
who taught a course in what was called "Western Civilization" - which
was a combination of history, English composition, reading and writing
skills.  That bold professor had the audacity to state that his course
was the most important in our engineering studies - we laughed then, but
it turned out that he was correct.  An engineer who cannot communicate
effectively through the written word, is just not effective in his task,
and the rest of the knowledge is for naught.

On 6/30/2011 8:56 PM, Al Gulseth wrote:
> Dave,
>
> The reason they told you to write for a Grade 7 educational level was probably
> because they heard about some of the students my dad dealt with when he was a
> junior level radio instructor in the Coast Guard in WWII. From his
> description it sounded like he was teaching a basic "shop" (tool usage) class
> at the time.

Re: Tech Writing

temilinrogers

Embark on a transformative journey of academic exploration and enlightenment with the remarkable assistance offered by our take my online computer science exam for me service. Traverse the vast expanse of knowledge, delving into the intricate realms of computer science from the comfort of your own home. Our seasoned experts will be your steadfast guides, equipping you with the tools, insights, and expertise needed to navigate this intellectual journey with confidence.

Re: Tech Writing

temilinrogers
Elevate your academic journey and achieve top grades with our trusted take my online management exam for me service. Say goodbye to exam worries as you entrust your educational aspirations to our dedicated team of experts. Through their knowledge and commitment, you'll embark on a seamless path toward excellence, embracing a future filled with opportunities and intellectual achievements that will shape your academic legacy.

12