Telephone RFI

Wingkeel
Hi everyone,

     I have two antennas...an unmatched longwire and a vertical.  The
unmatched longwire interferes with our two line 900MHz phone system a little bit but
the vertical almost destroys audible altogether.  While transmitting CW on the
vertical, there is a loud clicking sound on both the receiving AND
transmitting telephone, even though one or the other could be removed by several miles.

The phone line within the building is all CAT-5 with the exception of the
last 15' of the base station telephone.  I've tried 10 turns of flat 4-conductor
telephone cord through a toroid...no difference, (however, I don't know what
the toroid is made of).  I've tried one of the clamp on decouplers with no
change.  I can't put a coupling capacitor on the line because of our high speed
DSL.

It only happens on 40 and 80 meters.  There is no interference at 20 meters.
Does anyone know who builds telephone RFI filters for this frequency range?
I called the local phone company and they said that they don't have anything
to do with aircraft frequencies (????).  I figured it would be fruitless to
pursue this avenue of approach!

If I don't get this fixed pretty soon, one of three things will happen:
             1. Discontinue use of my K2 between the hours of 0600-2300.
             2. Find a solution to this dilemma.
             3. Become a priest, because I'll be celibate after this anyway.

                                Thanks in advance

                               Terry de KC0QZX

Re: Telephone RFI

Larry Makoski W2LJ
Terry,

I have used the KComm telephone filters with great success.  The other
option you don't mention is to change brands of telephone.  When I was
having problems, it was with a Bell South portable.  The KComm filter
cleared up the problem.  When the phone eventually gave up the ghost, I
switched to a Panasonic and found I no longer needed the filter.

Best luck!

73 de Larry W2LJ

>      I have two antennas...an unmatched longwire and a vertical.  The
> unmatched longwire interferes with our two line 900MHz phone system a
little bit but
> the vertical almost destroys audible altogether.  While transmitting
CW on the
> vertical, there is a loud clicking sound on both the receiving AND
> transmitting telephone, even though one or the other could be removed
by several miles.

> The phone line within the building is all CAT-5 with the exception of
the
> last 15' of the base station telephone.  I've tried 10 turns of flat
4-conductor
> telephone cord through a toroid...no difference, (however, I don't
know what
> the toroid is made of).  I've tried one of the clamp on decouplers
with no
> change.  I can't put a coupling capacitor on the line because of our
high speed
> DSL.
>
> It only happens on 40 and 80 meters.  There is no interference at 20
meters.
> Does anyone know who builds telephone RFI filters for this frequency
range?
> I called the local phone company and they said that they don't have
anything
> to do with aircraft frequencies (????).  I figured it would be
fruitless to
> pursue this avenue of approach!
>
> If I don't get this fixed pretty soon, one of three things will
happen:
>              1. Discontinue use of my K2 between the hours of
0600-2300.
>              2. Find a solution to this dilemma.
>              3. Become a priest, because I'll be celibate after this
anyway.

>                                 Thanks in advance
>
>                                Terry de KC0QZX

RE: Telephone RFI

Ron D'Eau Claire-2
Have you investigated RF infiltration into the power line going to the phone
'base' unit rather than into the phone line itself?

Ron AC7AC

[...]

Jim Wiley-2
Terry -

You could try going back to wired phones.  In every case I have tried,
wrapping 20 - 30 turns of  telephone cord around an old transistor radio
ferrite loopstick core (with the original antenna wire stripped off) has
been effective.  I simply get a 15-20 foot extension cord (pre-made with
plugs on each end), wrap it around the core, put some heat-shrink tubing
(or plastic electrical tape) over the whole thing to hold the turns in
place.  Plug it into the phone as near the phone (not the wall) as
possible.  Usually, I try to arrange things so as to have a  pigtail
about 3" long at the phone end, and 3 or 4 feet (or whatever is
appropriate) for the link to the wall outlet.   It really doesn't matter
how long the cord on the "wall" side of the filter is, as long as lead
on the "phone" side is short.

Zap - no RFI, even from my KW, running into a  220'  open-wire fed
doublet on 160-20 meters.

BTW - Multiple layers of phone cord are fine.  I usually start with one
of the cores that are about 4 or 5 inches long, rather flat in shape,
and about 3 or 4 times as wide as they are thick.  They look like a flat
bar of ferrite.  I have also been able to use round cores of the same
type, but the flat bars have more ferrite per inch than the round models.

Every time I have tried wireless phones, on the other hand, there has
been some failing or another that has made me go back to hard wired
sets.  I even have my DSL connection routed  through one of these
things, and it runs just fine.

Good luck!

Jim, KL7CC

[hidden email] wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>     I have two antennas...an unmatched longwire and a vertical.  The
>unmatched longwire interferes with our two line 900MHz phone system a little bit but
>the vertical almost destroys audible altogether.  While transmitting CW on the
>vertical, there is a loud clicking sound on both the receiving AND
>transmitting telephone, even though one or the other could be removed by several miles.
>
>The phone line within the building is all CAT-5 with the exception of the
>last 15' of the base station telephone.  I've tried 10 turns of flat 4-conductor
>telephone cord through a toroid...no difference, (however, I don't know what
>the toroid is made of).  I've tried one of the clamp on decouplers with no
>change.  I can't put a coupling capacitor on the line because of our high speed
>DSL.
>
>It only happens on 40 and 80 meters.  There is no interference at 20 meters.
>Does anyone know who builds telephone RFI filters for this frequency range?
>I called the local phone company and they said that they don't have anything
>to do with aircraft frequencies (????).  I figured it would be fruitless to
>pursue this avenue of approach!
>
>If I don't get this fixed pretty soon, one of three things will happen:
>             1. Discontinue use of my K2 between the hours of 0600-2300.
>             2. Find a solution to this dilemma.
>             3. Become a priest, because I'll be celibate after this anyway.
>
>                                Thanks in advance
>
>                               Terry de KC0QZX

RE: Telephone RFI

N2TK
Here are a couple of things to try:
- Try another phone. Radio Shack phones seem to work well around RF
- Move the phone to another jack and see if the problem still exists.
- Make sure you have a good ground for the ham equipment.
- Sometimes adding a length of coax changes the problem.
- Do you have the problem if the phone stays in its cradle? Can you operate
this phone from the cradle?
- Make sure you don't have a poor connection somewhere in the phone system.
It may be picking up the rf, and rectifying it.
- Unplug nay other phones and try it.
- Put ferrite on the coax

One time I had a similar problem. It turned out to be a metal clothes line.
The turnbuckle rusted. This made a nice diode. The wire picked up the rf,
rectified it and reradiated it on multiple frequencies.

Good Luck,
N2TK, Tony

>      I have two antennas...an unmatched longwire and a vertical.  The
> unmatched longwire interferes with our two line 900MHz phone system a
little bit but
> the vertical almost destroys audible altogether.  While transmitting
CW on the
> vertical, there is a loud clicking sound on both the receiving AND
> transmitting telephone, even though one or the other could be removed
by several miles.

> The phone line within the building is all CAT-5 with the exception of
the
> last 15' of the base station telephone.  I've tried 10 turns of flat
4-conductor
> telephone cord through a toroid...no difference, (however, I don't
know what
> the toroid is made of).  I've tried one of the clamp on decouplers
with no
> change.  I can't put a coupling capacitor on the line because of our
high speed
> DSL.
>
> It only happens on 40 and 80 meters.  There is no interference at 20
meters.
> Does anyone know who builds telephone RFI filters for this frequency
range?
> I called the local phone company and they said that they don't have
anything
> to do with aircraft frequencies (????).  I figured it would be
fruitless to
> pursue this avenue of approach!
>
> If I don't get this fixed pretty soon, one of three things will
happen:
>              1. Discontinue use of my K2 between the hours of
0600-2300.
>              2. Find a solution to this dilemma.
>              3. Become a priest, because I'll be celibate after this
anyway.

>                                 Thanks in advance
>
>                                Terry de KC0QZX

Re: Telephone RFI

Art - W6KY
Years ago I was on the phone with K6NA, we were tuning my
Alpha 76CA up for the 1st time. At about 1300-1400 watts the
phone went dead. So did my neighbors phones. The K-Com filters
fixed the problem. No more telephone RFI problems....Give
em a try....
73, Art  W6KY    K1-2  K1-4
Don't forget the CW NAQP    Saturday 1800Z to 0600Z Sunday
How's that for 'no HTML' code allowed?

[hidden email] wrote:
[...]

Vic K2VCO
[hidden email] wrote:

>      I have two antennas...an unmatched longwire and a vertical.  The
> unmatched longwire interferes with our two line 900MHz phone system a little bit but
> the vertical almost destroys audible altogether.

I've had good results with both the KCOM filters and k-y filters
<http://www.ky-filters.com/am.htm> (be sure to get the HF model).  Also
-- this is very important -- if the phone is powered, wind as many turns
of the power cable from the wall-wart as you can get onto a toroid or
loopstick core.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco