Thank you Elecraft for the KX1

The Smiths

I just wanted to share my experience with a KX1 that I borrowed from a friend.  I took this KX1 rig with me when I went to the Philippines.  I did a bit of traveling around the northern part of the country.

The rig that I borrowed had 80/40/30 and 20 meters available.  However, things were more active on 40 meters. Most of my work was from 6am till about 10AM then again from about 9PM till about 11:30PM local time.  After that the bands were DEAD. Im speculating that there are more younger CW guys in Asia than here in the states.  And that perhaps they go to work,  and that's why the bands were not active during the day time.

I found that with a #26awg 28' wire thrown up into a coconut tree, and 3 counterpoise available to me, 33', 23' and 16', which I just threw down on the ground I was able to get a very nice match on all bands but 80 meters.  At times I found that using only the 33' or the 23' counterpoise was all that I needed... Here's what I was able to work and hear with that little 2 watt ultra portable KX1:

Heard:
Argentina
England
Germany
France
Russia
Korea
China
Japan
Chek Republic
Israel
Norway
Switzerland
Trinidad Tabgo
Thailand
Brunei
Vietnam
Cambodia
Philippines
Chagos (VQ9)
Singapore
USA (oddly I was only able to hear AZ for the most part??)

Worked:
Russia (3 stations)
Korea
China
Trinidad Tabgo (heard me calling QRP but wasn't able to hear me through the other Asian stations calling him)
Japan
Chek Republic (2 stations)
North Pole (1 station)
Thailand
Brunei (2 stations)
Vietnam
Cambodia (2 stations)
Philippines
Believe it or not, I only heard 2 other Philippine stations on CW! I worked both, yet one was a guy visiting from Germany

*Places that I didn't mark with a number I worked more than 3 times.

As an owner of a K3, I just wanted to say Thank you to Wayne, Eric, Lyle and everyone else at Elecraft that made the KX1 available.  You have no idea how much fun and excitement that you added to my already enjoyable vacation.  I know now that I'll be ordering a KX1 kit to build for myself as soon as I can drum up the money.

Michael
N6MQL