The List

Bob DeHaney
 I am kind of irritated that when people reply to the list about something,
they keep an entire message digest in their reply.  A message digest
included in the new message digest is very, very long.   Please delete
everything in the reply message that doesn't pertain to your reply.  There,
I requested it politely...

Vy 73, Bob DJ0RD/WU5T

Re: The List

Cady, Fred
It's also annoying when repliers delete everything in the message so you
have no idea what they are scribing about unless you read the original
message, sometimes posted days ago.

Like this one. :-)

73,
Fred KE7X

Re: The List

N8MSA
I try to stay away from "opinion" posts, but I have to agree with Mr. Cady in that these emails lose a great deal of value with the context of previous posts. I look at eight different email accounts across five different devices, and I would be "lost" with respect to on-going reflector discussions without all of the previous post.

Perhaps we can all agree on a particular format, but I would like to see this information remain in emails.

Mike Alexander

[hidden email]

Re: The List

Terry Schieler
Exactly, Fred!  ;o)

Terry, W0FM

Re: The List (amsctalx@comcast.net)

Arnie Grubbs-2
I don't usually go on about this stuff but...
I agree that there should be some content for continuity, but I see a lot of people don't take the time to trim off the greater excess..  when that happens in digest form then the e-mail just gets clutter with a lot of redundant junk posted over and over, each time it gets longer. I dont see the need to repeat all this stuff 10 times or  more in the same e-mail.
 The digests get to be close to 75 to 100K long, and there are several (4-6) of them each day mostly due to multiple copies of the same reply to the same thread not trimmed from the end of a reply... Posting so that there is a complete history of the E-mail in each reply, so that there are more than maybe 2 layers deep at the most s a waste. I have seen a whole thread in one digest that goes down 7  or more layers, which is just crazy when you see all of the previous email from the thready copied in their entirety and repeated 4 -5 or 6 times earlyer in the digest too.
 Then occasionally you get the guy who just replies and along with not bothering with  trimming fat from the rest of the thread, he just goes along and sends in the whole digest along with it.  Repeating ALL of the threads and all their repeats in another barrage of stuff to wade thru.
If a person needs to have more continuity maybe it would work out better for them  to have it delivered in the DIGEST form, as usually there are more than enough messages in each thread that you can get an idea about what they are talking about... also you don't have to wade thru so many deliveries of them each day.
 Try it, if you haven't already, you might like it!
73  Arnie KA0NCR

--- On Mon, 2/20/12, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

than "Re: Contents of Elecraft digest..."

Today's Topics:

   1. Re: The List ([hidden email])
   2. Re: The Old RST (Ron D'Eau Claire)
   3. Re: The List (Terry Schieler)
   4. Re: Elecraft CW Net cancellation (Matthew Pitts)

Message: 1

It's also annoying when repliers delete everything in the message so you
have no idea what they are scribing about unless you read the original
message, sometimes posted days ago.

Like this one. :-)

73,
Fred KE7X

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 10:23:42 -0600
From: Terry Schieler <[hidden email]>
To: "'Cady, Fred'" <[hidden email]>
Cc: [hidden email]

Exactly, Fred!  ;o)

Terry, W0FM

Re: The List (amsctalx@comcast.net)

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
Administrator
If you use a mail-reader that supports threading, you will be able to sort your messages automatically by who replied to whom.

If your mail reader doesn't support threading (and most do) you can still see the conversation threads by reading your list at the on-line Nabble site.  You can reply there too, and as a bonus, the topics are sorted by major field of interest (K3, KX3, QRO, HAM, Off-Topic, etc).

Please do check it out if you're not finding reading the mail in your mail program to be a pleasant experience.

If you're currently on the digest, you'll probably find the web-based interface much more useful.

Leigh/WA5ZNU

Re: The List

roncasa
On 02/20/2012 10:15 AM, Cady, Fred wrote:
> It's also annoying when repliers delete everything in the message so you
> have no idea what they are scribing about unless you read the original
> message, sometimes posted days ago.

don't delete, TRIM your replies so everyone can follow the thread ....

72
Ron, wb1hga