The weekness of a d'arsonval watt meter

dw-4

If I am correct, most manufactures claim a 10% tolerance on most
d'arsonval type watt meters.
I believe there are also some caveats.
That 10% is at a specified level of applied wattage, and of course
applied into a 50 ohm load.
This means that at 100 watts applied power, the meter can read +/- 10
watts.
This however, does not take into consideration the non-linearity
characteristics of a d'arsonval meter.
And so the manufacture will take a specific meter as his prototype and
mark various wattage readings up through its range.
And those physical points will become the template for the numbers
displayed behind the meter when it goes into mass production.
If he is really fussy, he will take 10 of those meters on the prototype
bench, and record their physical readings and then make his template
based on the average of those ten prototype meters.

We then have to factor in the variance of tolerance for every d'arsonval
meter assembled into future boxes on the assembly line.
What we might end up with then, in the real world, is a meter, when
activated by the user, points to various numbers on its display with an
inaccuracy that may be 20% or more, based on its individual mechanical
response to various wattages up its range.

The d'arsonval meter is driven with a series resistor (usually a pot)
from the rectified power source.
A manufacture may be so inclined to visibly fix calibration pots with
the eye during the assembly process, and then spot check the meter with
100 watts applied.  If it falls within +/- 10 watts during the
spot-check.....ship it......it meets its advertised accuracy.

This is where the micro-chip can give you an edge up.
The micro-chip can hold within its memory a table of values programed by
the user.
Remove the d'arsonval meter and its series-R and connect the
micro-chip's analog input instead.
As a calibrated applied wattage source is used, "teach" the micro-chip
how to interpret the voltages it sees as the wattage is increased up the
scale.
Now you have a watt meter that is calibrated at multiple points up its
scale instead of at a single spot-check point.
A microchip watt meter can then approximate the accuracy of the bird
watt meter.
Since ( I think this is true ) the bird meter is also rated at a certain
wattage point and that accuracy is (due to the use of a d'arsonval
meter) diminished below that wattage point.

Some day a smart ham is going to manufacture and sell a mico-chip based
watt-meter which the user can calibrate himself using a bird meter, or
better yet...an o-scope.
Of course that is... if there is a marketable demand for higher accuracy
than currently exists.  :)
--
 [hidden email]

Re: The weakness of a d'arsonval watt meter

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: The weekness of a d'arsonval watt meter

Duane,

While you are correct on the meter movement specs, take a hard look at
the wattmeters available to hams.

The LP-100 wattmeter does almost what you are referring to.  It is quite
accurate when calibrated.

I have a general mistrust on analog reading wattmeters.  Many wattmeters
on the ham market are speced for 20% of the full scale reading - and
that means an error of up to 20 watts on a 100 watt scale (often the
lowest scale).
Even the revered Bird wattmeter is speced for 5% of the full scale
reading right after calibration, and that is up to a 5 watt error with a
100 watt slug - and how many Bird wattmeters in the hands of hams have a
current calibration sticker?

The Elecraft W2 wattmeter promises to make the power measurement
capability better, but it is not yet available (ship in August was the
target).

You can certainly do better than that with an oscilloscope to read the
RF voltage across a precision 50 ohm non-inductive resistor.  Caddock
makes  50 ohm Thick Film Power resistors that are good to 100 watts with
a heat sink - attach one to a heat sink salvaged from a defunct computer
CPU cooler and attach a BNC connector with zero length leads and you
will have an inexpensive precision dummy load that is flat to at least
200 MHz.  Ridge Equipment (use Google) often has dummy loads at a very
inexpensive price that are good to at least 200 MHz as well.  So for
under $20, you can have a piece of precision equipment that is the basis
for power measurement (just measure the RF Voltage across the precision
dummy load and compute the power).  That device can be used for
calibration of wattmeters, and the result should be within 5% even
allowing for errors - and the results have nothing to do with the "full
scale".

dw wrote:

> If I am correct, most manufactures claim a 10% tolerance on most
> d'arsonval type watt meters.
> I believe there are also some caveats.
> That 10% is at a specified level of applied wattage, and of course
> applied into a 50 ohm load.
> This means that at 100 watts applied power, the meter can read +/- 10
> watts.
> This however, does not take into consideration the non-linearity
> characteristics of a d'arsonval meter.
> And so the manufacture will take a specific meter as his prototype and
> mark various wattage readings up through its range.
> And those physical points will become the template for the numbers
> displayed behind the meter when it goes into mass production.
> If he is really fussy, he will take 10 of those meters on the prototype
> bench, and record their physical readings and then make his template
> based on the average of those ten prototype meters.
>
> We then have to factor in the variance of tolerance for every d'arsonval
> meter assembled into future boxes on the assembly line.
> What we might end up with then, in the real world, is a meter, when
> activated by the user, points to various numbers on its display with an
> inaccuracy that may be 20% or more, based on its individual mechanical
> response to various wattages up its range.
>
> The d'arsonval meter is driven with a series resistor (usually a pot)
> from the rectified power source.
> A manufacture may be so inclined to visibly fix calibration pots with
> the eye during the assembly process, and then spot check the meter with
> 100 watts applied.  If it falls within +/- 10 watts during the
> spot-check.....ship it......it meets its advertised accuracy.
>

> This is where the micro-chip can give you an edge up.
> The micro-chip can hold within its memory a table of values programed by
> the user.
> Remove the d'arsonval meter and its series-R and connect the
> micro-chip's analog input instead.
> As a calibrated applied wattage source is used, "teach" the micro-chip
> how to interpret the voltages it sees as the wattage is increased up the
> scale.
> Now you have a watt meter that is calibrated at multiple points up its
> scale instead of at a single spot-check point.
> A microchip watt meter can then approximate the accuracy of the bird
> watt meter.
> Since ( I think this is true ) the bird meter is also rated at a certain
> wattage point and that accuracy is (due to the use of a d'arsonval
> meter) diminished below that wattage point.
>
> Some day a smart ham is going to manufacture and sell a mico-chip based
> watt-meter which the user can calibrate himself using a bird meter, or
> better yet...an o-scope.
> Of course that is... if there is a marketable demand for higher accuracy
> than currently exists.  :)

Re: The weekness of a d'arsonval watt meter

dw-4
Thanks Don!
I aggree with you.
I used to calibrate RF-electro-surgery devices in a former life :)
Thanks for the tip on the non-reactive power resistor.
I think I will look to get one.

Good stuff!.
Duane

--
 [hidden email]

Re: The weekness of a d'arsonval watt meter

k6dgw
dw wrote:

> Some day a smart ham is going to manufacture and sell a mico-chip based
> watt-meter which the user can calibrate himself using a bird meter

Someone already has and does.  It's called a "W1" and it is sold by
Elecraft.  I have one, mine is in a nifty polycarbonate case from W8FGU,
and it works like a charm.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2009 Cal QSO Party  3-4 Oct 2009
- www.cqp.org

Re: The weekness of a d'arsonval watt meter

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
And same for the upcoming W2 :-)
http://www.elecraft.com/manual/W2%20Data%20Sheet%20rev%204sm.pdf