Toroid T6 and Mobile Operation

Philip Myles
04 FEB 05

Dear K2 Owners,

Could anyone give me some advice on winding toroid T6, how critical is that the windings cross every ½ inch? I think I've got it pretty close, I mean it looks good and I tried to keep the wires from un-twisting while winding it around the toroid form.

Also, has anybody out there operated their K2 mobile with any luck... the 15 Watt version. On some commercial radios, I have noticed some manufacturers use silicon on the toroids to keep them mechanically stable, is this OK?

Thanks,

Phil
KG0NL

RE: Toroid T6 and Mobile Operation

Don Wilhelm-3
Phil,

The reason for twisting the wires is to keep them together when the toroid
is wound (the wire pair forms a transmission line of some nominal
impedance)- as long as the wires stayed somewhat along-side one another
after winding, the purpose has been realized.

There is a note in the manual indicating that no fixatives of any kind are
needed or desired, so do not use anything on the toroids - (or you do so at
your own peril).
There are several K2s being used successfully for mobile operation.  I built
a K2/100 for Gary W4GNS for use in his 18 wheeler, and he has not mentioned
any problems so far (those toroids are mounted only by their leads).  You
can look him up on QRZ.com and click on his 'locater link' for more
information.  I am certain he would be willing to answer any questions you
may have.

w4gns
Yes ,The k2/100 That W3FPR Built me is set on the dash of my 18 wheeler
,and has done well ,over say about 30,000 mile's so far,No problems from
vibrations,etc. I make lots of contacts including DX,but I have a pretty
healthy mobile station,including a Henry SS750 amp and a Hi-Q
antenna.Bands have been tough last few weeks as you know,so at low power
you may want to think about running CW . I run alot on the county hunters
net and am making plans to run CW more because of lousy
conditions..........
 Now my question:  I have a very loud pop when using CW with the Henry
Amp,I adjusted the T-R setting and for the most part takes it out,but I
like T-R  setting to be 0.00 is there another way to remove this Pop????
,BTW Don rig is doing GREAT!!
 73s all W4GNS

There is a note in the manual indicating that no fixatives of any kind are
needed or desired, so do not use anything on the toroids - (or you do so at
your own peril).
There are several K2s being used successfully for mobile operation.  I built
a K2/100 for Gary W4GNS for use in his 18 wheeler, and he has not mentioned
any problems so far (those toroids are mounted only by their leads).  You

Re: Toroid T6 and Mobile Operation

Vic K2VCO
[hidden email] wrote:

>  Now my question:  I have a very loud pop when using CW with the Henry
> Amp,I adjusted the T-R setting and for the most part takes it out,but I
> like T-R  setting to be 0.00 is there another way to remove this Pop????

I had a Henry ss-750 and it has a pretty slow t/r relay.  So unless you modify
it by changing to a vacuum relay or pin diode t/r switch, you will need to keep
the delay long.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco