Travel antennas - outside with rig inside

Travel antennas - outside with rig inside

Robert S. McCuskey-2
As an alternative, I  use a 31 ft wire end- fed through a small 9:1 balun
and RG-316 mini-coax as an effective 6-40 meter multiband antenna.   An
appropriate ,  good 9:1 UNUN balun is available as a kit or assembled from
the Honolulu Emergency Amateur Radio Club; their web site is:
<http://www.earchi.org> http://www.earchi.org  or from Balun Designs
<http://www.balundesigns.com> http://www.balundesigns.com .  A description
of this antenna also is on the  EARCHI web site.  I have found this
antenna's performance very similar to a my 42 ft wire and 16 ft counterpoise
directly attached to my  KX-3, KX-1, or K1 through a banana plug-BNC
adapter.  Bob McCuskey, W7BV

[Elecraft] Travel antennas - outside with rig inside

Steve KC8QVO
Fri, 20 Jul 2012 03:54:44 -0700

I am out of town this weekend and brought my 28' random wire/counterpoise. I

have the random wire and counterpoise going out the window about 5' away.

The tip of the random wire goes up in a tree about 15' up. The counterpoise

goes out the window the opposite direction weaved through some bushes (to

keep off the ground) about 5' up.

The antenna seems to perform a ton better in a portable set up outside.

There are signals I can hear on 40, but they are much weaker than if I set

up outside.

Another note is the window frame is wood and cranks open. I pulled the

screen out to have clear access through the window.

Wire is #26 Silky Wire from The Wireman (my favorite).

I am thinking for this kind of set up I need to get the feedpoint OUTSIDE

the window. Right now the wires come through the window and attach to the

rig with a BNC-binding post adapter.

I believe getting the feedpoint outside the window requires a coax cable and

external tuner. Does anyone have any ideas on running the tuner inside the

rig that may work without coax?

Balanced feed lines will still detune through the window frame too, they

need to be clear. Maybe it would perform better than the wires I have now

though.

Steve, KC8QVO