Trip to Canada

Charles Greene
Hey all you VE's,

I realize this is off topic, but I need some information.    I am going to
drive to Ontario next week on business and I have my mobile rig in the
car.  I didn't intend to operate it, but can I bring it along and bring it
back in?  I hate to take it out; it's such a hassle :-)

73,  Chas,  W1CG

Re: Trip to Canada

hank  k8dd-2
Yes, you can take it along.
You should, however, take it in to US Customs at the border crossing and
have it registered on a Customs Form 4457.  That will show that you had
it when they looked at it!  And, when you return to the US and the
Customs person at the re-entry point asks "what are you bringing back
with you?" and you say "nothing" and he says "what about that radio that
you bought in Canada?" ..... you will have the piece of paper that says
you had it before you entered Canada.
If the Customs person wants to be a complete PITA, he can pull you into
secondary and make life miserable.
If you have the original receipt for the radio, complete with the serial
number, that should work too.

That said ..... I have gone to Canada and returned probably several
hundred times with radios and other electronic "stuff" and only been
questioned about Form 4457 one time ..... and that guy was almost a PITA!

And that said .... it is far better to be prepared because US Customs
can be one place that it is NOT better to ask forgiveness than it is to
ask permission!    So my best advice, after quite a few DXpedition trips
that have taken us into or through Canada would be to take the safe
route and have the paperwork!

And you can have fun operating /VE3!

72    73      Hank    K8DD

--

'Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their
 level then beat you  with experience.'           -anon

Re: Trip to Canada

Brian Mury-3
On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 13:30 -0500, Charles Greene wrote:
> Hey all you VE's,
>
> I realize this is off topic, but I need some information.    I am going to
> drive to Ontario next week on business and I have my mobile rig in the
> car.  I didn't intend to operate it, but can I bring it along and bring it
> back in?  I hate to take it out; it's such a hassle :-)

You should have no problem bringing it into Canada. Taking it back into
the US is up to US Customs! :-) I don't know how the US handles this; in
Camada, I can take items to Canada Customs and they will give me a
"green card" listing the items and their serial numbers. When I return
to Canada, that is my proof that I did not buy the item on my trip to
the US, so I won't get charged taxes at the border.

BTW, you can operate in Canada. As an Extra class, you will have full
privileges in Canada. Just sign as W1CG/VE3 (for Ontario), which you
would pronounce on voice as "W1CG mobile VE3", or "W1CG portable VE3" if
you set the rig up out of the car.

--
73, Brian
VE7NGR

Re: Trip to Canada

Kirby Nesbitt
Actually.. you will have an issue. "K2" is an official registered
"brand" used on cattle from a particular ranch here in AB. It is
registered with US customs at all border crossings. If the radio is less
than 32 months old you might get it back in,  but theres really no
guarantee.

VE6IV

Brian Mury wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 13:30 -0500, Charles Greene wrote:
>

>>Hey all you VE's,
>>
>>I realize this is off topic, but I need some information.    I am going to
>>drive to Ontario next week on business and I have my mobile rig in the
>>car.  I didn't intend to operate it, but can I bring it along and bring it
>>back in?  I hate to take it out; it's such a hassle :-)
>>

>You should have no problem bringing it into Canada. Taking it back into
>the US is up to US Customs! :-) I don't know how the US handles this; in
>Camada, I can take items to Canada Customs and they will give me a
>"green card" listing the items and their serial numbers. When I return
>to Canada, that is my proof that I did not buy the item on my trip to
>the US, so I won't get charged taxes at the border.
>
>BTW, you can operate in Canada. As an Extra class, you will have full
>privileges in Canada. Just sign as W1CG/VE3 (for Ontario), which you
>would pronounce on voice as "W1CG mobile VE3", or "W1CG portable VE3" if
>you set the rig up out of the car.

Trip to Canada -- my experience over '95 to '03

crmabbott
I have been back and forth several times and merely told the fellow at
border I had a ham radio.  I always had my license handy but have never been
asked about anything else.

How come your not going to operate, if I may?

73
---
Chuck  AA8VS

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless."

Re: Trip to Canada

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
That should not be a problem. Trademarks are product category specific.
A 'K2' trademark for cattle will not be in the same category as the 'K2'
tm for Radio Equipment. :-)

73, Eric  WA6HHQ
----

Kirby Nesbitt wrote:
> Actually.. you will have an issue. "K2" is an official registered
> "brand" used on cattle from a particular ranch here in AB. It is
> registered with US customs at all border crossings. If the radio is less
> than 32 months old you might get it back in,  but theres really no
> guarantee.
>
> VE6IV
===

>> On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 13:30 -0500, Charles Greene wrote:
>>
>>> Hey all you VE's,
>>>
>>> I realize this is off topic, but I need some information.    I am
>>> going to drive to Ontario next week on business and I have my mobile
>>> rig in the car.  I didn't intend to operate it, but can I bring it
>>> along and bring it back in?  I hate to take it out; it's such a
>>> hassle :-)

Re: Trip to Canada

Richard Stasiak
Hi Chas

Bring your rig, operate signing "mobile ve3", and most of all, have fun.

There are no regulatory issues, we have full reciprocity with W land.

73

Rick, ve3mm

> I realize this is off topic, but I need some information.    I am going to
> drive to Ontario next week on business and I have my mobile rig in the
> car.  I didn't intend to operate it, but can I bring it along and bring it
> back in?  I hate to take it out; it's such a hassle :-)
>

> 73,  Chas,  W1CG

Re: Trip to Canada

k7nhb
But he has to operate within the Canadian band plan - right? Just to
make a point - not to whine - I often hear Canadian SSB on top of the
7.070 PSK frequency.
73,
Paul

Re: Trip to Canada

Brian Mury-3
On Fri, 2005-04-03 at 16:59 -0800, designer wrote:
> But he has to operate within the Canadian band plan - right? Just to
> make a point - not to whine - I often hear Canadian SSB on top of the
> 7.070 PSK frequency.

He has to operate according to Canadian regulations, yes.

Our regulations do not specify what mode may be operated where, either
by mode or by bandwidth. There is a maximum bandwidth for each band
(6kHz for all HF bands except 30m and 10m). As long as we are within the
maximum bandwidth and within the ham bands, we are legal.

The only bandplan we have is a "gentleman's agreement". It lists 7.050
to 7.100 as SSB. It doesn't list PSK31 at 7.070, probably because it
hasn't been updated since 1995. There are probably lots of operators who
don't realize that 7.070 is a common PSK31 frequency.

--
73, Brian
VE7NGR

Re: Trip to Canada

crmabbott
He will want to make sure he does a  VE3/Call  or Call/VE3 depending what
net you talk to.  The key is so the Canadian Ops know he is in country.  A
bunch of nice guys over there!

73  Chuck  AA8VS
> But he has to operate within the Canadian band plan - right? Just to make
> a point - not to whine - I often hear Canadian SSB on top of the 7.070 PSK
> frequency.
> 73,
> Paul

Re: Trip to Canada

Brian Mury-3
On Sat, 2005-05-03 at 12:22 -0500, Chuck Mabbott wrote:
> He will want to make sure he does a  VE3/Call  or Call/VE3 depending what
> net you talk to.

Call/VE3 only, actually. Here's the relevant excerpt from RIC-2:

2. The operator of an amateur station licensed by the Government of the United
   States shall identify the station:

   (a) by transmitting the call sign assigned to the licensee's station by the
       Federal Communications Commission;

   (b) if transmitting:
       (i) by radiotelephony, by adding the word "mobile" or "portable", or
       (ii) by radiotelegraphy, by adding an oblique character ("/"); and

   (c) by adding the Canadian amateur call sign prefix set out in Column I of an
       item of Schedule IV for the geographical location of the station set out
       in Column II of that item.

--
73, Brian
VE7NGR

Re: Trip to Canada

VR2BrettGraham
AA8VS added:

>He will want to make sure he does a  VE3/Call  or Call/VE3 depending what
>net you talk to.

Actually, it is the latter, unless VE regs have changed since the
mid-80s (or maybe it's in the agreement between W & VE that
makes it possible, but in any event it was specifically spelled out
as callsign/VE# _only_ if I am not mistaken - it has been a long
time since I last did it myself).

73, VR2BrettGraham