Trouble with XV144

luc Favre-2
Good afternoon
I get trouble taking my new XV144 into operation (with K2 S/N 4546, S/W
2.04P).
1. 40/60 m function : OK
2. Transverter function : I cannot get full milliwatt power. Holding TUNE
with a 50 ohm load across the XVR-OUT, the display reads a power range from
0.1 mW to 0.17 mW and then does'nt increase further. The bargraph displays
low power as well ( 2 bars). Keying the transmitter in CW mode, the display
is OK, but the bargraph has the same behavior.
I verified all what is possible to verify (diodes, R, C etc) but didn't find
anything wrong.

Any ideas ?
Thanks for your possible help.
73
Luc/F6HJO/HB9ABB

Re: Trouble with XV144

Don Wilhelm-4
Luc,

Do you have the KAT2 installed?  If so, did you change KAT2 R6 to 470
ohms as instructed?
If you did change it, remove the KAT2 ribbon cable and see if the K60XV
behaves normally.
If no KAT2, is there anything else connected to the K2 control board P4
header?  If so, remove it and re-test the K60XV for power output.

luc wrote:

> Good afternoon
> I get trouble taking my new XV144 into operation (with K2 S/N 4546, S/W
> 2.04P).
> 1. 40/60 m function : OK
> 2. Transverter function : I cannot get full milliwatt power. Holding TUNE
> with a 50 ohm load across the XVR-OUT, the display reads a power range from
> 0.1 mW to 0.17 mW and then does'nt increase further. The bargraph displays
> low power as well ( 2 bars). Keying the transmitter in CW mode, the display
> is OK, but the bargraph has the same behavior.
> I verified all what is possible to verify (diodes, R, C etc) but didn't find
> anything wrong.

Re: Trouble with XV144

luc Favre-2
Thanks for quick reply, Don

> Do you have the KAT2 installed?  If so, did you change KAT2 R6 to 470
> ohms as instructed?
> If you did change it, remove the KAT2 ribbon cable and see if the K60XV
> behaves normally.

Answer : no KAT2 at all (I knew this change but n/a)

> If no KAT2, is there anything else connected to the K2 control board P4
> header?  If so, remove it and re-test the K60XV for power output.

Answer : nothing is connected (no PA, nothing...)

73
Luc

> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> luc wrote:
> > Good afternoon
> > I get trouble taking my new XV144 into operation (with K2 S/N 4546, S/W
> > 2.04P).
> > 1. 40/60 m function : OK
> > 2. Transverter function : I cannot get full milliwatt power. Holding
TUNE
> > with a 50 ohm load across the XVR-OUT, the display reads a power range
from
> > 0.1 mW to 0.17 mW and then does'nt increase further. The bargraph
displays
> > low power as well ( 2 bars). Keying the transmitter in CW mode, the
display
> > is OK, but the bargraph has the same behavior.
> > I verified all what is possible to verify (diodes, R, C etc) but didn't
find
> > anything wrong.

Re: Trouble with XV144

Don Wilhelm-4
Luc,

In that case, check the soldering of the K60XV and the wiring done under
the K2 RF board carefully as a first measure.  Did you remove W6 from
the K2 board?  Do you have good output on 28 MHz from the base K2 with
the K60XV installed?

The transmit path through the K60XV is not long nor complex.  Check the
RF voltage (with an RF Probe) at P1 pin 5, then at K2 pin 8 and then at
both ends of D2.  In each case, you should find an RF voltage
corresponding to the low power output you have requested (.224 volts for
a 1 mW level).  If the RF voltage at any point is substantially greater
than it should be, there is a break in the path - look on the K60XV
schematic to find the failing point and the one just before it and
investigate any components between those points.

If there is low RF voltage at all the points I mentioned, the problem is
either in the control circuits on the K60XV or in the bandpass filter
output signal on the base K2.