UTILITY Improvements

David Reid-9

Hi Guys,

This XML idea is great...I could make a webpage and application ( hosted on
my server (or Elecraft's)) where you could go to a webpage, upload your
config, mess about with it and download
it, then, instead of having loads of programs all over the world - possibly
needing updates, if the format or tagging changed, then we can just change
one option - (select firmware revision) and automatically implement new
features in the XML.... the idea of being able to edit the memories is
really cool and quite easy to achieve... Perhaps Simon also has some
ideas...

If we can develop a spec for the interchange format - I could write some
code for this type of tool quite easily, - when you down,load the file, you
could select either XML or CSV - no probs.

XML is just a tagging method - so you can easily find,change and insert
data into a structure...it is not black magic. Professionally, I develop
applications for creating and manipulating XML and CSV data...
but I prefer to have an online version of the file editor - it is much
easier to handle updates and changes, than in a distributed system....

Your thoughts please...

David  A. Reid
PA3HBB / G0BZF / PB6X
www.qsl.net.pa3hbb
www.qsl.net.pb6x

Documentation Consultant
Spider Documentation Support (SDS)
Technical Documentation Service
NXP Semiconductors
High Tech Campus 60, room 432D,
5656 AG Eindhoven
The Netherlands
telephone nr.: +31 40 27 25363

Re: UTILITY Improvements

Simon (HB9DRV)
When the memory channel CAT is defined I'll add this and other new features
to HRD.

I agree 100% that XML is the way to go, would be great for interchange.

As soon as Wayne specs the CAT let's define the XML. I'm using XML
exclusively in my new software and will convert HRD over to XML when I next
attack the innards.

Simon Brown, HB9DRV

From: "David Reid" <[hidden email]>

> This XML idea is great...I could make a webpage and application ( hosted
> on
> my server (or Elecraft's)) where you could go to a webpage, upload your
> config, mess about with it and download
> it, then, instead of having loads of programs all over the world -
> possibly
> needing updates, if the format or tagging changed, then we can just change
> one option - (select firmware revision) and automatically implement new
> features in the XML.... the idea of being able to edit the memories is
> really cool and quite easy to achieve... Perhaps Simon also has some
> ideas...

Re: UTILITY Improvements

Tom AK2B
Exactly. You have my vote. XML (data) should be totally transparent to the end user. Hosting a simple editer makes life easy for everyone and as you said, no program need be distributed. All data is stored locally on the client's computer.

Tom, AK2B

David Reid-9 wrote
[...]

And David's software could run on laptops etc.

Simon Brown, HB9DRV

From: "Tom AK2B" <[hidden email]>