Ultimate compact KX3 carrying case received -- perfect match for radio & accessories!

Ultimate compact KX3 carrying case received -- perfect match for radio & accessories!

wayne burdick
Administrator
I ordered a "Think-tank Strobe Stuff" bag from Amazon (about $45). It
just arrived, and in my opinion this is the ideal bag for anyone who
wants to carry a KX3 and accessories in the smallest possible form-
factor.

You could even use this bag for Ultra-light HF Pack operation
(pedestrian mobile). Just strap it on and deploy the whip out of the
top of the bag. There's a way for mic and headphone cables (and a
trailing ground wire) to emerge from the bag while it's fully zippered
shut.

(I also need to write some new firmware that allows you to hold both
mic buttons together to switch their function from VFO control to
volume control :)

The "LowePro Edit 140" bag, which I also have, and Rose Kopp's KX3
bag, both have a lot more space when you need it. But sometimes I like
to travel really light.

Here's a rough dimensional comparison (HWD) of the two camera
accessory bags:

   "Edit 140":      6 x 11 x 7.5" (total volume, about 500 in^2)

   "Strobe Stuff":  4 x 9.5 x 4.5 (about 170 in^2)

The Strobe Stuff bag is much smaller, but still holds everything you
need for a complete station:

   KX3
   MH3 mic
   backup "mini-mic" (3" long, hinged, with 3.5 mm plug)
   KXPD3 keyer paddle
   ear buds
   spare set of 8 AA cells (or a 4-cell, 14-V Li-Ion pack)
   antenna and ground wire (two 25' lengths of Wireman #26 "silky")
   two 1" stainless-steel hex nuts (for tossing wire into a tree)
   20-m two-piece telescoping whip (in case there isn't a tree)
   BNC L
   BNC-to-binding post adapter (for use with the wires)

I put the KX3 and the antenna wire in the main pocket, spare batteries
in the small accessory pocket on the bottom of the bag (4 x 4 x 1"),
and everything else in the large accessory pocket (4 x 10 x 1").

The Strobe Stuff bag has a few other features:

- The small zipper pocket at the bottom normally holds a rain fly that
can be pulled out and secured over the entire bag to keep it dry. But
I pulled the rain fly out in favor of the external battery pack or
spare AA cells.

- At the top of the bag there's a small fabric loop you could use for
hanging or carrying, and two smaller loops that could serve as strain
relief points for wire.

- On the back there's a T-shaped fabric strap with lots of velcro that
conceals a hinged strip of very sturdy plastic. This strip reinforces
the fabric strap, so the bag can be attached securely to a belt or
backpack. The strip also seems to function as a tilt-stand for the bag
if deployed at an angle. This probably has some utility when used with
camera strobe lights.

I'll be testing the bag this weekend (Field Day).

73,
Wayne
N6KR

Re: [KX3] Ultimate compact KX3 carrying case received -- perfect match for radio & accessories!

Thomas Horsten
Sounds great, I ordered one. Will probably get it before the KX3, but
according to the Shipping Status page I am immensely close, nobody between
the date posted and my order number on the spreadsheet...

Wonder if it will hold my LiPol battery.

73, Thomas M0TRN

On 20 June 2012 22:19, Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> - The small zipper pocket at the bottom normally holds a rain fly that
> can be pulled out and secured over the entire bag to keep it dry. But
> I pulled the rain fly out in favor of the external battery pack or
> spare AA cells.
>
> - At the top of the bag there's a small fabric loop you could use for
> hanging or carrying, and two smaller loops that could serve as strain
> relief points for wire.
>
> - On the back there's a T-shaped fabric strap with lots of velcro that
> conceals a hinged strip of very sturdy plastic. This strip reinforces
> the fabric strap, so the bag can be attached securely to a belt or
> backpack. The strip also seems to function as a tilt-stand for the bag
> if deployed at an angle. This probably has some utility when used with
> camera strobe lights.
>
> I'll be testing the bag this weekend (Field Day).

Re: Ultimate compact KX3 carrying case received -- perfect match for radio & accessories!

hb9brj
The "Think Tank Strobe Stuff" is a perfect case for the KX3.  However when you put it in a backpack with other items, there is a risk your KX3 will accidentally be switched on by external pressure on the respective switches. I'm trying to prevent this by carefully packing my backpack.

Recently, when taking the KX3 out of its case on a summit two hours after leaving home, everything seemed normal. The KX3 was off. When I switched it on I was suprised about the low battery voltage reading because the 8 internal AA eneloop NiMH cells were fully charged in an external charger just a few days earlier and took about 2.2Ah each. The big surprise however came when I wanted to tune my antenna: The display went dead and the KX3 switched itself off. Back at home I confirmed that the NiMH cells were completely discharged and that the KX3 is drawing around 60uA when switched off, which is OK.

I prefer not to imagine in detail what might have happened inside my backpack during my two-hour hike, but definitely the 2.2Ah were converted into heat! Fortunately my KX3 seems to have suffered no damage.

Has anyone out there found an easy solution to protect the KX3 from being switched on when carried around in a soft case?

Markus HB9BRJ

Re: Ultimate compact KX3 carrying case received -- perfect match for radio & accessories!

Heinz Baertschi
Hi Markus,

One possible solution can be found at gemsproducts dot com.

73 es gl,
Heinz HB9BCB

Re: Ultimate compact KX3 carrying case received -- perfect match for radio & accessories!

Jerry
When I was at Dayton last spring, I bought a plastic cover that fitted
snuggely on the KXE (snapped into place). Along with the cover came two
sides both right and left side. The label on the plastic cover was "Side
KX". These people had a booth opposite the Elecraft booth and they also
assisted Elecraft is talking about KX3. I also bought the heatsink add on
that really keeps the transmit transistors cool even at 12 watts SSB with a
continuous tone. The heat sink makes the KX3 like a very small Alpha
thinking "brick on a key" situation

[...]

delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Ultimate compact KX3 carrying case received -- perfect match for radio & accessories!

Jim Brown-10
> Get the SideKX replacement endplates and matching cover. It is an awesome upgrade and very easy to install. I bought mine from Scott (AK6Q) at the Elecraft booth at Pacificon last year.
>
> http://gemsproducts.com/index.html

Yes, very nice. The only downside is that it makes the KX3 slightly
larger (thicker) and heavier. But certainly less than any protective box
that you could pack it in for travel.

73, Jim K9YC

Message delivered to [hidden email]