Ultimatic keying ...

JA Crux
A very long time ago I suggested to Elecraft that an "Ultimatic" option would
be nice, and anyway the iambic mode is a dogs' breakfast to actually use.
Iambic keying only exists because of designer laziness; it was the easy way
out with flip flop circuitry.
The last discrete device "Ultimatic-style" keyer published in QST was the
Versakeyer, and that was back in May 1979. It has an iambic option (never
used it) and an auto-space option (OK, but really makes you work on your
timing.)  The original 1950s Ultimatic keyer used a heap of relays (ugh)
although the 11 tube version used only one.  I still have my tube Ultimatic;
component ageing has stopped it working .... but one day I'll fix it ..
So I use my 1979 Versakeyer most of the time. It will key anything up to plus
or minus 300v and is RF proof. But being lazy I never got round to adding the
external keyer diodes to my K2, so I just swap between paddles and
re-programme brain when going from Omni-V to K2 and back again. But having
been obliged by my own laziness to use both modes, often in rapid succession,
I have not the slightest doubt that the Ultimatic mode wins fist down on ease
of use and convenience.
Now if only I could motivate myself to shoe horn a K1EL (12 series) chip into
my K2 .....
Yes, the magic HEXKEY is only hooked to the Versakeyer and not to the K2 ...
shame on me, I know !
John  G3JAG (try sending that in iambic mode)